Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

On 7/16/2020 at 2:22 PM, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

This is according to Bangkok Herald.  They just posted on their Facebook page they have a source telling them immigration will extend the amnesty to September 30th and that they will announce it before next Friday. 

Until it's published officially it's speculation.  Media companies will publish anything that will get them readership traffic.  It doesn't need to be valid.  Nobody is holding the press's feet to the fire.  It's official when it's official.  Until then it's rumour.

Edited by connda

18 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

They are going to make money from stranded foreigners , temper your excitement, guys. You are going to get your 30 or 60 days extension but this time you are going to pay for it.

Not enough time now.  It would be chaos.  Maybe they planned that before the Rayong Egyptian fiasco,  but I think that changed their plans and they don’t want to see lines of thousands of farangs crowded together at immigration offices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SEtonal said:

This tweet is from June 30 and still posted.

Got it.  Thank you!  Not that anyone should get their hopes up, but the first one posted in these forums (and deleted by the Embassy) was absolute in terms, while the older tweet you linked to here is open to change.  Compare....

The U.S. Embassy will no longer provide extension letters.  

vs

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai are not currently issuing extension letters and we have no plans to issue visa extension letters after July 31.

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

As there is no way to predict in-advance which flights will be cancelled, I hope they let us show up at the airport, stamp out while our permitted-stay is still valid, then just camp (i.e. "be incarcerated") there until a flight is "really leaving" which can get us to our destination. 

I am not making "airline company donations" for "roulette-wheel-maybe" flights.  I'll pay for a ticket when I can verify an airplane is physically present, and which takes me where I need to go. 

As things stand, that is probably Turkey, unless other countries open-up in August.  I continue monitoring here:
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Perhaps a more practical method would be to look at what flights are departing regularly and opt for one of those.  For example, Qatar have continued with a reduced service throughout the "blockade" and are now departing twice daily, or going in the other direction Cathay Pacific are flying daily to Hong Kong.  Many more have been highlighted in other threads and it's easily checked whether they are flying or not.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr837

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/cx654

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

The departure board pictured shows only a 2 hour window.  If the full day was shown you would see international depatures to several destinations.  Any incarceration would be self inflicted.

And another "ad nauseam" poster...

And hop ! I love the "IGNORE user" feature. Makes this forum civilized ????

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, asiacurious said:

My opinion based on the facts I found tell me the herald site is nothing more than a rumor/speculation clickbait site.  One that is pretending to be a news site.  Want fake news?  There it is!

I define "fake news" on the internet as containing fictitious articles deliberately fabricated to deceive readers, generally with the goal of profiting through clickbait and advertising revenue.  Generally speaking, a suspected "fake news" source would be reticent to publish a report and openly admit within the report that it is "unconfirmed" or "unconfirmed heresay".  They are more likely to present a report as if it is legitimate and confirmed without any such disclaimer.

The article in question in the Bangkok Herald makes NO attempt to deceive or present the information as factually correct. On the contrary, it repeats three times that the information within the article is "unconfirmed" or "unconfirmed heresay". The domain registration in the US helps facilitate the publishers purpose to present news and issues in Thailand from an expat perspective without risk of prosecution under Thai law.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Can't believe this hasn't been posted in this section of the forums yet;

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391492 

The wording here "the Immigration Bureau is preparing to propose a new round of automatic visa extension to the Cabinet" is the same wording used in the Covid-19 video report posted earlier. In my humble opinion, the "new round" will most likely be approved. I tend to agree with the BH on the extension until Sept. 30 when more flights will be in service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lost access to my years-old thaivisa account so had to create a new one for this post ????. While we wait for amnesty news, it looks likely that regardless of what happens, tourists must travel to CW to claim their extension (or 'claim' amnesty should it be extended). So seeking a bit of advice..

I'm a citizen of Dominica on SETV (TR60 which fell into amnesty before paying 1900 to extend).

In case amnesty is not extended (or worse, my extension on tourism grounds is somehow rejected?) I'm stuck, as:

1) Dominica's borders are currently closed to all, not even repatriation flights.

2) Dominica has no Embassy or Consulate/mission in Thailand I can contact for assistance in issuing a letter.

3) I have no PR in a third country which I can move to, except a valid Work Pass in Singapore - which also requires obtaining 'entry approval' before arrival. These are being prioritized to citizens/PR or foreigners in essential services right now, with others rejected for weeks before receiving permission (can only be applied once a day & I've been rejected a few times which I can provide proof of - not expecting to be approved anytime soon).

Meanwhile, many other visa-free destinations are still presently closed to tourists.

So, what then? I have a US visa stamp in my passport, but it makes 0 sense to be traveling to the COVID hotspot of the world.

I could get 6-months on-arrival in the UK (also unsafe) or in Schengen (less risky) - however I have no contacts or any kind of base in any of these places. I would just have to start over & do the same thing - wait around for the situation to get better. While, inevitably, spending a hell of a lot more $$$ in living costs compared to BKK. It also makes no sense to travel that far to these regions when my final destination is inevitably Singapore for work.

Hence if I *had* to be stuck in limbo while waiting for things to subside (or atleast while I wait to receive permission to enter SG), I would much rather it just be in COVID-free Thailand. Obviously, I doubt the soulless IOs at CW would care. I've just been more than happy to support the economy & domestic tourism while also having the finances to continue this for as long as necessary until I can actually travel to a destination relevant to me - the same as many others here I assume ????

Again, still waiting for confirmation, but would love to hear any insight on what can be done in a situation like this so I can remain prepared for all possible scenarios in the meantime ????

Edited by tabbycat
  • Like 1

it looks likely that regardless of what happens, tourists must travel to CW to claim their extension (or 'claim' amnesty should it be extended). So seeking a bit of advice..

The news article says "automatic". There's nothing automatic about CW, nothing what so ever.. 

16 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

1) Dominica's borders are currently closed to all, not even repatriation flights.

UK government travel advice mentions Dominica's borders and airports opened for nationals on the 15th July.  Is this incorrect?

image.png.bdec88df084fe26ce8e7e5b567fe3e36.png

1 hour ago, Rockbottom said:

The wording here "the Immigration Bureau is preparing to propose a new round of automatic visa extension to the Cabinet" is the same wording used in the Covid-19 video report posted earlier. In my humble opinion, the "new round" will most likely be approved. I tend to agree with the BH on the extension until Sept. 30 when more flights will be in service.

The BBC is reporting a grace period up to 26 September to apply for extension.

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

UK government travel advice mentions Dominica's borders and airports opened for nationals on the 15th July.  Is this incorrect?

image.png.bdec88df084fe26ce8e7e5b567fe3e36.png

I saw this, too, and contacted the DM High Commission in London right away. Unfortunately they confirmed borders remain closed to all at the moment but told me to keep checking for any changes to the situation.

Edited by tabbycat

25 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Lost access to my years-old thaivisa account so had to create a new one for this post ????. While we wait for amnesty news, it looks likely that regardless of what happens, tourists must travel to CW to claim their extension (or 'claim' amnesty should it be extended). So seeking a bit of advice.

Your premise is based upon what source? Based upon how Thai Immigration has previously defined the phrase "automatic extension", no visit or contact with immigration is required to receive amnesty. You are automatically on amnesty until the next deadline. In all fairness, extending the amnesty to Sept. 30 when more flights will be available is a fair and equitable resolution at this time by Thai authorities to address the visa extension dilemma. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

I saw this, too, and contacted the DM High Commission in London right away. Unfortunately they confirmed borders remain closed to all at the moment but told me to keep checking for any changes to the situation.

FYI, Lots of other Caribbean islands are open.  I was considering Barbados.  I think St Lucia, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, and Jamaica are all open. Maybe others too.  You could wait it out in one of these countries. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, scottyp1980 said:

There isn’t any one stranded in Thailand... there are flights leaving Thailand every day To all over the world and has been since this corona started, so if they wanted to go home they can.

There is people with visa’s expiring or expired that would like to stay but stranded is another story!!

Really? Business as usual then? If it was easy to fly out, why have an amnesty in the first place, and then why the need to consider an extension?

I've never planned to fly anywhere so it doesn't concern me personally, and honestly I have not checked for flights but obviously you're aware through your research that anyone can fly anywhere they want, when they want. I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased to hear that. 

Edited by JensenZ

1 minute ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

So it wasn't September 30, but September 26.  Still great news.  And if you can provide proof, then you'll be able to extend your visa after September 26 with proof you can't travel and documents. 

If you leave before September 26, you don't need to do anything.  But after, you need to do an extension?  So basically amnesty until September 26.  

and for some that proof may be hard to come by. A few embassies already saying they will not be supplying supporting documentation. So for those then without an extension after September 26, then deportation and blacklisted. I can see some very busy immigration offices. 

8 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

and for some that proof may be hard to come by. A few embassies already saying they will not be supplying supporting documentation. So for those then without an extension after September 26, then deportation and blacklisted. I can see some very busy immigration offices. 

LOl, I expect the borders to be open by then and the quarantine rules to be mild. They can hop right back in. 

23 minutes ago, Eibot said:

LOl, I expect the borders to be open by then and the quarantine rules to be mild. They can hop right back in. 

‘Yes roll the dice and take your chances. But Thais will be wishing for a resumption of the tourist trade by then.  
‘Hoping for all those Chinese, who may be dried out by then. 

I wonder if those with expired non-o's that wasnt lucky and already required extensions based on thai spouse and visit family now will be forced to go on these 30 day extensions instead of 60 day and 1 year extensions and then leave in september unless their embassy provides letters for them? 

There's cases here on TV where they turned people away and told them to come back in the end of the current amnesty to do their extensions then instead. Bummer for those people if this is the case. 

Edited by Okis

Lets hope this is all legit. My understanding from the article is that we have until sept 26 to leave Thailand, and if we are not leaving we need to have an extension organised before that date. 

If this is the case its great news , gives a lot of time to plan, and hopefully in a couple of months the world is somewhat back to normal and we can possibly get flights to renew visas, or even boarder runs if they are open, etc, etc.