Medical tourism package will go ahead, but under strict control

webfact

Medical tourism package will go ahead, but under strict control

By THE NATION

800_5d7ac3c82c072d6.png?v=1594882420

Taweesin Visanuyothin

Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said on Thursday (July 16) that Thailand’s medical tourism and wellness programmes will go ahead despite the discovery of two Covid-19 cases this week.

The Public Health Ministry is scheduled to announce a list of hospitals that pass its criteria next week, and the first group of medical tourists will land in Thailand in the next two weeks.

The spokesman said this programme will be operated under strict guidelines, such as ensuring general patients are safe and visitors are not allowed to enter public spaces.

800_b125613d252eec3.jpg

The visitors, arriving under a special visa, will be provided with massage and spa services, fitness programmes, healthy meals and herbal products.

According to an announcement on July 3, more than 1,700 medical tourists have registered for the programme. The first batch will come from 17 countries, including Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, China, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

These tourists will only be allowed to travel around Thailand once their 14-day quarantine and treatment has been completed.

Medical tourists who test positive for Covid-19 will be treated for the virus in special areas prepared for foreigners at private hospitals.

3E1F8B30-7810-4FFD-8890-1ED3575FE3BD.jpe

Medical tourists will undergo Covid-19 tests three times: before departing for Thailand, upon arrival and before returning home.

Only medical tourists travelling by air will be granted entry into Thailand, and they must all have a certificate of entry from a Thai embassy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391421

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-16

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Medical tourists will undergo Covid-19 tests three times: before departing for Thailand, upon arrival and before returning home.

And then, after 3 succesful negative results, they go into the general population to get infected, even though Thailand supposedly is "covid free". To get covid in the BTS, develop symptoms, go to hospital, and get refused covid testing.

Funny, right?

Gosh, if it was me, I'd either do no quarantine at all or I would not leave quarantine to risk my life in public. ????????

Edited by lkv
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you come for medical reasons why do you need to travel anywhere apart from the airport and the place of treatment?

Just askin'

I think they combine business for hospitals with expansion of Thailand's quarantine capacities.

The idea is not bad. Keep them in the country to spend money.

But still no info about the procedure. They can't be serious that medical tourists will apply for a repatriation flight.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They really are clueless, the middle eastern countries are full of covid-19, might as well invite everyone and have 14 day quarantine.

The health/wellness program is a screen for higher quality visitors.  No cheap charlies, no mongers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They really are clueless, the middle eastern countries are full of covid-19, might as well invite everyone and have 14 day quarantine.

I think the idea is the middle eastern countries are full of (oil) money. 

Too bad oil price is at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They will fly into Utopia dressed as Egyptian soldiers and be booked into an unknown hotel in Rayong and allowed unrestricted access to Malls for shopping before going to some unknown hospital. Better not let Thai people know which hospital to avoid people freeking out,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I agree.  From the OP "The visitors, arriving under a special visa, will be provided with massage and spa services, fitness programmes, healthy meals and herbal products."  That doesn't sound like your usual medical treatment, & probably done at a luxury spa resort...

Spa etc is for accompanying persons while the patient gets all thd medical treatment he is willing to pay for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Mind boggles. Just look at infections:population. Are they really concerned about keeping infections out?

5 hours ago, Berti said:

How should this be possible when only repatriation flights organized by the embassies are allowed to bring in passengers?

The embassy told me, only urgent cases are considered and you need a confirmation from your home hospital that the treatment must be done in Thailand.

This means people from low standard countries coming in. ???? Wow, I'm speechless.

They can fill business class on repat flights.

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia...

Sign me up!  ????

Not worried about anybody bringing an infection in? Really? Guess as long as they bring in money no problem.

I really dont understand the meaning of this, i know in Europe most of things are covered by insurance. And why would someone want to travel 12 hours, 14 days quarantine to get Massage, go to gym etc.... I just see another loophole by Thai government  for Chinese to float in. 

• Haha 1

Registered an interest that’s not the same as booking and paying up front for this health program. Let’s wait and see how many actually commit once they realise what the process of getting into the country is no way would I come to Thailand to be locked up for the first 14 days .

11 hours ago, NB1986 said:

I really dont understand the meaning of this, i know in Europe most of things are covered by insurance. And why would someone want to travel 12 hours, 14 days quarantine to get Massage, go to gym etc.... I just see another loophole by Thai government  for Chinese to float in. 

It might be cheaper in Thailand than in Europe. So, insurances will profit if medical treatment is done in Thailand. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The spokesman said this programme will be operated under strict guidelines, such as ensuring general patients are safe and visitors are not allowed to enter public spaces.

So was the original plan to allow the health tourists to wander around the public spaces freely, and not to bother ensuring that general patients are safe? <scratches head>

Completely confused. 

I was scheduled to have finger surgery on deviated bone, and contemplated it having it done in Thailand, as the UK had an 18 month waiting list for non emergency procedures of this kind ! 

However, when i contacted the Thai embassy in London, they said you can only qualify for this visa if you are unable to have any procedure done in your home country. 

Which begs the question, which medical need can you only have in Thailand but not in your home country? 

giphy.gif

Just now, SymS said:

What's a medical tourist exactly?

Non-emergency/elective surgery, cardiac treatment, ortho treatment, cancer treatment, eye treatments. Some elective stuff: tucks and enhacements.

People come here for stufff they cant get done at home, unless by a barber.

15 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Completely confused. 

I was scheduled to have finger surgery on deviated bone, and contemplated it having it done in Thailand, as the UK had an 18 month waiting list for non emergency procedures of this kind ! 

However, when i contacted the Thai embassy in London, they said you can only qualify for this visa if you are unable to have any procedure done in your home country. 

Which begs the question, which medical need can you only have in Thailand but not in your home country? 

giphy.gif

During that contact you would have needed to identify yourself as Prince or Sheikh AndrewMciver to get approval (and the free coupons for massage and spa services, herbal products, etc).

17 hours ago, Berti said:

How should this be possible when only repatriation flights organized by the embassies are allowed to bring in passengers?

The embassy told me, only urgent cases are considered and you need a confirmation from your home hospital that the treatment must be done in Thailand.

This means people from low standard countries coming in. ???? Wow, I'm speechless.

Some have deep pockets to circumnavigate the issue of why the operation has to be done in Thailand.