From Thai School to UK School

HTC

Is it possible for a child that is studying in a Thai school to transfer to a UK school?

My son is British/Thai. I plan to stay in Thailand and school him here.

However, my wife and I have talked about if our circumstances were to change and we had to move the UK, would our son be able to join a UK school without issue?

In the UK, children must attend school by law, so he can't be refused, correct?

There must people who have done this in the past. I'd be interested how things went for you.

my experience was this.....

my 2 little ones came to the UK when they were 2 and 5 years old.

school/ nursery found easily once i found a place to live which i could afford. not my first choice, but actually the nearest.

they spoke no english on first attendance at the schools. (this is common, reasons i am sure yr aware of and i spoke thai with them in thailand).

they came with me as a lone parent.

absolutely no issues, school and nursery both very welcoming.

they both had british citizenship/ passport, as do i.

both doing well at school, very well. 

this may be the least of your worries. getting the misses over maybe....

good luck which ever way you chose, to go or stay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My son went to international schools in Thailand for years and spoke good english. He went to the Uk. and spent two terms in an english secondary school, apart from some racism, he said the teaching was far superior to the international schools here and had no problems with the lessons. If they do not speak, read and write english then they would have to have remedial lessons in english, which not all schools could provide.

What age?  Age is important.  My daughter moved from US schools in Germany to UK schools at the age of about 13.  At that age she was fine except she had no previous French classes.  At the time, the levels pretty much required French.  So, find out what courses and the levels are in the two countries and see how they compare.  In the early years, it probably doesn't matter.  Also, bullying is a constant issue.  Your son will be different and he MAY be picked on.

I am British and have been married for many years living in Thailand and have 2 boys. Similarly to the writer my wife decided that she would remain in Thailand with the elder boy who is studying engineering and I would return with the younger son (13 yrs) to the UK for his education up to at least 18 years. When we arrived 12 months ago, the local council could only offer us a zero rated Ofsted school which I would not accept. The nearest Academy (state school) with a placement was 13 miles away but with a very good reputation situated in a country area. The one thing that ocurred to me was that country schools tend to have smaller classes and friendlier atmosphere than possibly town/city schools. Having spent most of his life with Thai as the main language apart from English spoken at home, it would be important for him to get use to English as his main language as quickly as possible. Ok he has to travel 26 miles per day but the decision was the right one as shown in his year 8 end of year results which were damn good even with the the uprooting and covid with which to contend. Socially he has been well accepted.

Don't accept the first school offered by the local council. All they are required to do by law is offer your son/daughter a place whether it has a good reputation or a poor one. If you do not accept then it is your responsibility to find a school. It is your child's future so take your time and choose carefully.

As remarked earlier, if language is an issue as early as possible, Our eldest daughter moved from Thailand (speaking almost no English) to the UK when she was seven. went to to a good primary where she had a pretty much dedicated "special needs" teacher and her English visibly improved daily. Now has a London accent ???? 

Not Thai children, but did have 2  half-British kids previously. They were brought up speaking English so that was not a problem. My son knew a couple of half Thai kids when at secondary school.

What i learned - from them and other non-British parents on my ex-wife's side - 

1. Racism tend to be worse in Cities and large towns with noticeable ethnic minority levels, this can limit the social interactions a bit - they either stick with their own ethnic group or have to find a 'group' which will accept them.

In rural areas they are more of a curiosity, and although they might suffer limited amount of racism, usually can integrate.

2. Best if the children move at primary level or earlier, trying to catch up on the difference in syllabus when in secondary school just gets harder - their 'O' levels will take a hit if only a few years to adapt.

3. Tertiary education - if they haven't attended school in the UK, they might have difficulty in getting student loans or might even be considered a foreign student - which could make funding them difficult. One of my son's friends struggled to find a University that would accept him as a 'British' (i.e. UK fees, student loan), they would only offer a place as an international student. He did find one in the end. My son suggests in that case probably better to do University in Thailand and then a Masters course in the UK - costs less and most employers focus on the Masters qualification rather than a Batchelor's degree if you have both.

Finally, my 2 elder children in the UK complained when they were older that they didn't learn their mother's native language when they were young - Because nearly everyone around them spoke English with them. With my current Thai daughter, my wife and her family mainly speak Thai to her, I mainly (practically only) speak English to her. Start at an early age (it is never to early) and being bilingual comes naturally.

Brought my 9 year old stepdaughter to UK with little/no English and put her in a state school. However, they were some of the best state schools in UK ( Harpenden),she was bright and flourished. Quickly made friends and astonishing pick up of English in just a few months. Now 25 ,she has A levels in English and Maths and a first class honours degree in Business economics which enabled her to get a very good graduate job after a single interview. 
So it can be done if young enough (9 was ideal) and she,you and the right school make the effort.