living in a condo vs house

kwak250

2 hours ago, newnative said:

When I lived in an expensive part of America, the most I could ever afford was a 1 or 2 bedroom condo.  A small townhouse was way out of my budget and a single family home?  An impossible dream.  Fast-forward to topsy turvy Thailand--where smallish oceanview condos can cost as much or more than large houses.  

So, here I am in Pattaya and I could finally easily own that single family home I always yearned for in the US.  But, now that I can actually own one, I'd rather be in my oceanview condo.  Love the gorgeous view, the nice gym and pool that I don't need to take care of myself, and I like being able to lock the door and just take off.  The security is nice, too.  My partner and I might end up in a house at some point but for now condos in Pattaya and Bangkok suit us. 

Where did you guys end up buying?  Just curious, always found your real estate posts to be insightful.

Rented a house in a Moo Baan the first two years while I got oriented. Then I bought 3 condo rooms, reconstructed and furnished for about 1 million baht (condo was just starting to Recover from going belly up in 1997 debacle). Owned for 4 years but ... Well, getting older, had heart attack. My Sons to come and sell, deal with land office, etc.? So, I sold and went back to renting for the duration.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Even the pool is not your own and has rules attached, decided by committee.  I felt hemmed in and somehow claustrophobic.   I couldn't even get into the complex without a car sticker and a check by a security guard,  It was like entering a prison site.

All the things designed for your safety and comfort, made you feel claustrophobic. To me all those things are a benefit. A high floor with brilliant city views, a large space as big as most houses and the option to close the door behind me and not worry someone will get in are just some of the benefits I enjoy. I miss a garden but I make do with a good terrace.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 5:18 PM, kwak250 said:

I never thought I would drive one and now dont see much point having a stick shift unless it has 400hp

I have 300 and no stick needed anyway. Especially when you see how people don't know how to drive in this country !

The problem is that the more space you have, the more $hit you keep.

I have never seen a really clean house in Thailand, even with 2 full time maid.

Nobody knows how to clean, so a house will never be clean, and it is unacceptable for me to have any dust anywhere.

• Like 1

Condo - you can own it if you’re buying, no maintenance issues, secure, airy if in the right position, no garden to look after, community advantage ( gym / pool etc),

Negs are, fees ( which may go up above inflation rates), noise from neighbours, restrictions ( example can’t keep animals), unable to re-model without permission from management, expensive per unit compared to houses, feeling of being trapped ( personal experience), lack of external storage, lift problems,

House, well, opposite to the Condo.

All other criteria are dependant on the area ( example , proximity to shops, transport etc) so they are irrelevant.

The big difference is that in a really high condo you can watch the Serengetti wildebeast migration and the number one ( assuming you’re fairly high up ) is you won’t get flooded as per 2011.

But the final nail in the coffin for me is I can’t crank it up to 11 on my stack in a condo.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If a person wants less hassle, maintenance, upkeep, then living in a nice sized condo works great.

Shut the door and travel never worry about anything.

3 bedroom house with small garden.

300bht every 2nd month for the garden to be done.

Not much in the way of upkeep, in the past 7 years,

2 broken water pipes outside (1,000bht + second DIY).

Did some welding on the front gate (builder wanted 3,000bht).

Had some roof tiles replaced and re-positioned (builder charged 3,000bht). 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Condos are nearer to the amenities, generally speaking. That's a huge plus, to walk to Central Festival, as opposed to taking a 25 minute drive there.

The ideal obviously is an estate on a 20,000 square metre rice field. Houses are generally better, more space, but then you play dice with God who the neighbours will be. In Thailand that can end very badly. Neighbours cooking outside, power tools all day, loud music, or the usual 5 dogs per house.

I'm single have a large free standing house.

1600m² of land, 350m² of house with pool and all other amenities, and 850m² of lawn.

Lovely to live, but lots of maintenance. Lawn and garden takes at least half a day every week, that's not taken in account the small jobs during the rest of the week.

With a house this size there is always something.  I have 8 pumps, which means 8 pumps that can have a leak.

I have 28 Windows and doors, which have to be cleaned, same goes for patios, walkways and car ports.

I could hire a Thai to do all that, which would mean I pay them, then complete the job when they leave. Been there got the T-shirt.

Yes I should move to a smaller house, preferably in a moobaan, and have considered that many times.

When I drive around the moobaans in the region, and look at the state most are in, you can't pay me enough to move in there.

A condo, very nice and convenient, but my privacy is very high on my list of requirements, and you have none in a Condo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Condos are nearer to the amenities, generally speaking. That's a huge plus, to walk to Central Festival, as opposed to taking a 25 minute drive there.

The ideal obviously is an estate on a 20,000 square metre rice field. Houses are generally better, more space, but then you play dice with God who the neighbours will be. In Thailand that can end very badly. Neighbours cooking outside, power tools all day, loud music, or the usual 5 dogs per house.

yes, but the neighbours don't  tend to be one shared wall  away from you; up, down and both sides. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

All the things designed for your safety and comfort, made you feel claustrophobic. To me all those things are a benefit. A high floor with brilliant city views, a large space as big as most houses and the option to close the door behind me and not worry someone will get in are just some of the benefits I enjoy. I miss a garden but I make do with a good terrace.

My view is of rolling hills and the river valley. I will take that over city views any day, but it is, as always, a personal choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

yes, but the neighbours don't  tend to be one shared wall  away from you; up, down and both sides. 

Fair point and well made. That is why I only consider top floors. Surprisingly I have had very few problems with neighbours in a condo.

Compare that to the house I am in now, where the dogs, power tools, and outside smoke-filled cooking have been a constant annoyance. 

Still, the space and pool privacy just edges it. Bigger kitchen as well. I hate these American kitchen in the living room set ups. 

Another thing I don't like about condos, you're right in the living room, no foyer. And of course they're too small.

It's ironic because they give you that feeling of luxury with gym, huge pool and concierge, but do not deliver on the ultimate luxury, privacy and space.

• Like 1

Thsnks for all the replies I am looking forward to returning to my house and can't wait to be able to wash and vac my car which I know you can get done at a car wash business but i always enjoy to wash and clean it myself.

Miss having music on while in the garden while doing a bit of work and playing a game of snooker in my spare room

For me a house still is my favourite but a condo in the right place with a sea view would be very appealing.

When the lotto numbers come out that would be on my list to buy.