Defense against mean dogs

black tabby

6 hours ago, sirocco said:

...Otherwise, the umbrella that is suddenly opened is very effective.

I learned that from a gal who raised attack dogs and conducted safety training classes for utility and postal workers who encountered dogs in their work.  She would also use a tennis ball mounted on the end of a short PVC pipe handle (50 cm?).

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

4.5 million people bitten by dogs a year, a goof channel for anti dog propaganda

Oh...in that case you are right and we are wrong. (rolling eyes)

Are these wild dogs that are biting people or dogs that have owners? Often you'll find that it is someone's dog that does the biting. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Oh...in that case you are right and we are wrong. (rolling eyes)

Are these wild dogs that are biting people or dogs that have owners? Often you'll find that it is someone's dog that does the biting. 

like this one?

dog attack.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The nonchalant approach is usually enough.

I have been bitten (nipped) once, the dog in question looked to be the alpha of three so probably territorial, until I chased it off.

I get more trouble when walking my own dog (small breed pup), it likes to challenge the street dogs, which I'm trying to train out of him. Until then I carry a baton, the threat of which, along with controlling my own beast, is enough to see them off.

• Haha 1

Orton Rd posted (post number #7): "Dogs are nasty, deceptive, and dangerous animals."

In reply to that, Eindhoven (post #10) posted:  "Utter rubbish.  Don't project your bizarre fears on to innocent animals. I come into contact with dogs every single day.  None of them conform to your view. Not even one." (my bolding)  He condemns Orton for projecting.  How?  By making a statement which is also projection! This is hypocritical. 

The bolded three words in Eindhoven's quote above are laughable at best, but more accurately could be termed imbecilic.

Furthermore, why does he use the word bizarre?  I hope Eindhoven looks very closely at the photo in post #16.  Is it bizarre that some people have realistic fears when you see something like the damage done to that young boy?  

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pookett said:

The nonchalant approach is usually enough.

I have been bitten (nipped) once, the dog in question looked to be the alpha of three so probably territorial, until I chased it off.

I get more trouble when walking my own dog (small breed pup), it likes to challenge the street dogs, which I'm trying to train out of him. Until then I carry a baton, the threat of which, along with controlling my own beast, is enough to see them off.

Mine too.  My little girl Shih Tzu is a Toy, so very small, but she thinks she is a Rottweiler. She has a deep sounding bark for a small dog,  so maybe she thinks that entitles her to act big 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Haha 1

I ride my mountain bike on a lot of secluded trails on Doi Suthep.  Most of the dogs I encounter are pretty timid; they may bark a lot but don't approach.  When they do approach, that can be a little intimidating, and if they bare their teeth that can be very intimidating.  And it there are more than one...well, that can be terrifying!

It's pretty hard to outride them.  The times I've tried, it seems to excite them, not dissuade them.  Once a dog got right up alongside me, just behind my pedal and it was clear he was trying to bite my foot.  I kicked my foot back as hard as I could and hit him right in the mouth.  I had cleated riding shoes on and I heard / felt the cleat hit his teeth.  He immediately stopped.  THAT was just plain luck and nothing more.

My strategy now is not when I know a dog is probably going to really attack is NOT to try and outride them but to stop quickly and dismount while there is still distance between me and them, keeping the bike between me and the dog.  I yell loudly and raise my arm with a fist like I have a rock in it, and every time I've done this, the dog(s) backed off! It buys you a few seconds to them reach for something to defend yourself for real.  Dogs are really fast when they are in pursuit and there is NO WAY you're going to be able to reach for pepper spray or anything else while you're trying to peddle and maintain control of the bike!

Dogs instinctively fear this aggressive gesture of raising your arm with a fist since they are incapable of grasping objects, and they seem to universally fear the gesture.  Every time I've done this dogs react the same way so I know it's true!  It gives me a few seconds to reach for my bicycle pump that's within easy reach, that I can use to defend myself if the dog advances...but I've never had one do that, especially when I have the metal pump in my hand and start to swing it.  When the piston slides out on a swing, it really freaks a dog out.  Again, it must seem like magic to them!  It's still a dangerous situation but so far (knock on wood) I've never actually been attacked, and a few times my encounter was with a pack of dogs, not just one.

My point is, in an actual confrontation, you're not going to have time to reach for a bottle of spray or anything else unless you take immediate and aggressive action.  You need to react immediately.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I ride my mountain bike on a lot of secluded trails on Doi Suthep.  Most of the dogs I encounter are pretty timid; they may bark a lot but don't approach.  When they do approach, that can be a little intimidating, and if they bare their teeth that can be very intimidating.  And it there are more than one...well, that can be terrifying!

It's pretty hard to outride them.  The times I've tried, it seems to excite them, not dissuade them.  Once a dog got right up alongside me, just behind my pedal and it was clear he was trying to bite my foot.  I kicked my foot back as hard as I could and hit him right in the mouth.  I had cleated riding shoes on and I heard / felt the cleat hit his teeth.  He immediately stopped.  THAT was just plain luck and nothing more.

My strategy now is not when I know a dog is probably going to really attack is NOT to try and outride them but to stop quickly and dismount while there is still distance between me and them, keeping the bike between me and the dog.  I yell loudly and raise my arm with a fist like I have a rock in it, and every time I've done this, the dog(s) backed off! It buys you a few seconds to them reach for something to defend yourself for real.  Dogs are really fast when they are in pursuit and there is NO WAY you're going to be able to reach for pepper spray or anything else while you're trying to peddle and maintain control of the bike!

Dogs instinctively fear this aggressive gesture of raising your arm with a fist since they are incapable of grasping objects, and they seem to universally fear the gesture.  Every time I've done this dogs react the same way so I know it's true!  It gives me a few seconds to reach for my bicycle pump that's within easy reach, that I can use to defend myself if the dog advances...but I've never had one do that, especially when I have the metal pump in my hand and start to swing it.  When the piston slides out on a swing, it really freaks a dog out.  Again, it must seem like magic to them!  It's still a dangerous situation but so far (knock on wood) I've never actually been attacked, and a few times my encounter was with a pack of dogs, not just one.

My point is, in an actual confrontation, you're not going to have time to reach for a bottle of spray or anything else unless you take immediate and aggressive action.  You need to react immediately.

You need to take a hint from James Bond and mount sprays in holsters front and back of the bike, hook them up to the bell and squirt vinegar at the mutts by ringing the bell. Kind of a poor mans Aston Martin. ????

• Haha 2