BANGKOK
black tabby

Defense against mean dogs

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, black tabby said:

I have repelled 124  mean dogs on the total of 80 occasions(between mid Jan. 17. 2017- Jul.2. 2020). 

Are you on the Autistic spectrum?

I record every single such encounter. Date, place, numbers of the attacking dogs  every time I use my weapon to drive them away.

Definitely on the spectrum!  Your weapon would drive me away too.

Edited by Fairynuff

On 7/17/2020 at 1:54 AM, Damrongsak said:

I learned that from a gal who raised attack dogs and conducted safety training classes for utility and postal workers who encountered dogs in their work.  She would also use a tennis ball mounted on the end of a short PVC pipe handle (50 cm?).

Umm , the mind boggles 

On 7/18/2020 at 3:17 AM, Saltire said:

Cool idea with the vinegar bottle in a holster.

This coolness could be much improved by having TWO bottles and holsters criss crossed accross your chest.

How about a poncho to complete the calm look.

Worked for Clint Eastwood 🙂

You feeling lucky pooch-punk?   

I biked daily around Cm and would carry a baton on my bike in case...

Chased many times and I would lock up my brakes and stare them down--even give chase

The dogs face was like <deleted>....kinda like when u chuck a snowball at a car and they brake...oh sh*t!!!!!!

• Like 1

a  bloody  mean stick, bamboo is  good, show  no fear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, Pilotman said:

It's not the dog that is the problem

Its the idiots that feed  them? and the idiots who just let them breed uncontrolled. Thais say they  love  dogs  but thats a total  joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

while living in usa i ran across many mean vicious dogs .. i started carrying a can of hornet spray

it is a strong steady solid stream of spray, with hornets it lets u stay far away and spray ... ... yes i know not nice .. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, black tabby said:

"you're not going to have time to reach for a bottle of spray or anything else unless you take immediate and aggressive action.  You need to react immediately."

I have repelled 124  mean dogs on the total of 80 occasions(between mid Jan. 17. 2017- Jul.2. 2020). 

I record every single such encounter. Date, place, numbers of the attacking dogs  every time I use my weapon to drive them away.

Do you still think I have no enough reaction time to counter them?

I got one simply rule to defend myself.  Point & shoot. If they  approach with hostile barks or bare teeth.

Trigger is pulled as soon as they come  within 10-12 meters. Outside direct hit range. But the  falling sour mists sting their eyes and noses.  Resultingly, they are pushed back immediately.  The road is pacified.

I have also  encountered with a pack of them on many occasions.  And I could    always  walk  away unharmed thanks to my Mean Dog Buster Spray.

It is amazing that you often get into the high risk area without any proper means to defend yourself.

I, myself is a cyclist in Thailand.  But swinging around bike pump for self-defense is certainly not my cup of tea. And I do not go to any mountains or bushland by bicycle.  I only ride in town. Therefore no difficulties to see  the approaching hostile dogs.  They are always  spotted well  before they get too close to me.

I have also saved  a few other people from the dog hazard they were facing.

Both my weapon & tactics are well  battle proven. I am quite confident.

124 mean dogs on the total of 80 occasions???  OMG, are you carrying beefsteaks around with you in your pockets or something LOL! 

C'mon, be serious!  There are a lot of really seasoned and serious cyclists here in Chiang Mai that I ride with every day, and not one of them I can recall carries any sort of defensive items like sprays or stun guns or other silly items...except the newbies who have heard scary and overly dramatic stories (like yours, I'm afraid). 

I ride every day here in Chiang Mai around the University and then up Doi Suthep.  The University in particular is notorious for nasty doggies who bark, snarl and chase you, and some of the Strava segments are even named after them like "Chasing Dogs", but the number of genuine attacks where I felt in danger could be counted on my fingers and I've been here since 2017. 

Most attacks are all bark and no bite, and the idea of trudging around with a spray bottle attached to your handlebars sounds a little silly, no offense intended.  Most of the encounters I've had, even with packs of dogs can easily be defused just with an aggressive gesture and nothing more.  I can only recall maybe twice where I felt in imminent danger, and the strategy I mentioned about dismounting and pulling out the bike pump worked just fine; no harm to me or the dog! 

Dogs are alpha/Beta type creatures and they react as Betas when you show them that you are indeed the Alpha; that is all there is to it.  You may indeed be the fastest "gun" in Chiang Mai with your spray bottle but it's all quite unnecessary, though I did enjoy reading your gun-slinger account.  Sounds like you're a big fan of Westerns and War movies🙂

Edited by WaveHunter

On 7/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, ifmu said:

while living in usa i ran across many mean vicious dogs .. i started carrying a can of hornet spray

it is a strong steady solid stream of spray, with hornets it lets u stay far away and spray ... ... yes i know not nice .. 

Hello, I just read your comments.

Is it true that there are at least 1000 dog attack incidences daily in US?

Is it OK for anyone to carry around teargas or vinegar spray openly?

It is just a question from my curiosity though.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, black tabby said:

Hello, I just read your comments.

Is it true that there are at least 1000 dog attack incidences daily in US?

Is it OK for anyone to carry around teargas or vinegar spray openly?

It is just a question from my curiosity though.

Basically, if you don't live where the riots are..NYC, Chicago, Portland, etc., you can carry a loaded pistol.

Average homeowners insurance settlement for a dog bite is over 30,000 USD..in the US.

Edited by moontang

On 7/20/2020 at 4:10 AM, bodga said:

a  bloody  mean stick, bamboo is  good, show  no fear.

If you are carrying a stick, you are already showing fear. But I didn't need to tell you that, as you already know.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, Pilotman said:

no they are not, not normally.  Any animal, including humans, that has no shelter, very little food and has to fight to live is going to be dangerous. It's not the dog that is the problem, it's how they are forced to exist and live their life. 

Sooooo..... avoid the homeless?

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, Fairynuff said:

Are you on the Autistic spectrum?

I record every single such encounter. Date, place, numbers of the attacking dogs  every time I use my weapon to drive them away.

Definitely on the spectrum!  Your weapon would drive me away too.

He is building a prosecution case?

Edited by Heppinger
  • Haha 1

This is my first time to post here. I really liked BT's idea. I,too,have met so many hostile dog in the streets of Thailand.  Have never provoked them though. Thanx for the useful suggestion.

A general flame and replies have been removed, also now personal attack.

You need to tone this baiting and bickering down or I will step in and there will be posting suspensions