BANGKOK
smokieladdo

British Ex-Pats who got a British Passport for their Thai/British kids. Please describe your experience.

Easy, I went to an agent, Easy Visa (Darren) in South Pattaya and he gave me a list of the docs needed, which I provided.

Paid him, and got them back around three weeks later. Easy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oxforddiver said:

Easy, I went to an agent, Easy Visa (Darren) in South Pattaya and he gave me a list of the docs needed, which I provided.

Paid him, and got them back around three weeks later. Easy.

Using an agent is a good idea if you can't easily get to Bangkok to submit the application and then pick up the new passport.  But if you're in Bangkok, using an agent is really unnecessary as the process is usually very straightforward.

As my father was born in the U.K. I obtained the passport for our daughter about 4 years ago.

I used Key Visa as to me it was worth the cost, it saved two trips to Bangkok including airfares and overnight stays.

The service was excellent.

• Like 1

Did my sons about 4 years ago, at the Trendy Building Bangkok, only issue was I filled the form out on a computer, they made me do another hand written one. 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:24 AM, JusticeGB said:

The most important document is the original copy of your birth certificate. If you have lost it you need to apply for a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths in the UK. You will also need the birth certificate of your child if she was born in Thailand you would have to have registered her birth at the British Embassy and got a certified copy of her Thai birth certificate written in English certified by the British Embassy. 

I personally took the lot to an agent in Pattaya who did the legwork. It might cost 5,000 baht more but going to Bangkok twice to ensure those valuable documents aren't lost is worth the money. The agent fills in these documents every day and is worth his weight in salt. A form wrongly filled in is rejected and you lose your passport fee and start the process again.

No need for anything with regards to British Embassy.

My daughter's birth was never registered with them. Her birth certificate was translated by a local translator. It was not certified by the embassy.

Passport applied for and received with no problems. No agent used either. Just follow the application online. Easy process.

• Like 1

Be advised that passport renewal and getting a first one has been affected by Covid-19 as the manning in the issuing offices has been reduced. The government website advises not to apply if you need one before September.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, brewsterbudgen said:
On 7/17/2020 at 8:17 AM, remobb said:

I was not married to my son's mother at the first application. I had to marry her and reapply. Got married tried again, no problem. I was on his birth cert, legit father but still had to marry. 

When was that?  In 2015, there was no problem whatsoever in getting my baby a UK passport even though I was not married to his mother.

Prior to 1st July 2006 a British father could only pass his British nationality onto his children if he was married to their mother.

The law changed on the 1st July 2006 and since then a British father can pass his nationality onto any child, whether or not he was married to their mother. provided, of course, he can prove parentage.

See Nationality policy: children of unmarried parents for full details.