Casting transgender actors in trans roles will make films better – don’t we all want that?

snoop1130

Casting transgender actors in trans roles will make films better – don’t we all want that?

GettyImages-1204952391.jpg

Casting a cisgender woman in the role of a transgender man sends a message that transgender men are essentially women who adopt a role as a man (Picture: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC via Getty)

Last week, actress Halle Berry revealed on social media that she’d been considering a new film role, where she’d play a transgender man.

It was frustrating and tiring to hear.

After receiving strong criticism from the trans community and their allies, however, the actress released a statement saying that she was no longer pursuing the role, and that transgender people should have an opportunity to ‘tell their own stories’.

It was a hugely positive move, showing us that some actors are willing to take on feedback and show allyship, and made me feel hopeful that the conversation about trans representation on screen might finally be moving forward.

Full Story: https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/15/halle-berry-transgender-casting-12993052/

Are movies about reality? Or is it about showing something to the viewer which they think is kind of reality?

Some time ago I saw a movie about all the things which happen regularly in movies. I.e. bombs are always ticking. And they always have red numbers counting down. Is that realistic? Probably not.

And all computers have lots of flashing lights and clicking keyboards - fiction!

So what will any movie with a transgender person show the viewer? The real life of a transgender person? Or what the viewer is supposed to accept - played by any actor?

time-bomb.jpg

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Going to list my all time top 5 Transgender movies now - with or without transgender actors.

Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

does this mean that in order to ensure the accuracy of the film, that gay or transgender or whatever must not be hired to play straight roles?

will there be a test during casting?  what sort of documentation must be provided?

what happens if this is an historical drama, and the main subject's genderocity is questioned by some historians?  will there be a pool of actors with publicly questionable identities to pull from?

and what about the people behind the camera?  should it now be required that all film crew be white, male and french?  anything less would be cultural appropriation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

does this mean that in order to ensure the accuracy of the film, that gay or transgender or whatever must not be hired to play straight roles?

Good point, reverse engineering makes a mockery of the whole argument.

Many of us just don't see it as a major issue facing humanity in 2020. BTW, they used cast lots of gay's as straits with no problems. Rock Hudson made a career doing just that. :thumbsup:

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Going to list my all time top 5 Transgender movies now - with or without transgender actors.

Mrs. Doubtfire. with Robin Williams

Some Like it Hot with  Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon.

Shakespeare in Love with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck

Monty Python and the Holy Grail with John Cleese, etc.

Actually Shakespeare in Love had it all with Gwyneth pretending to be a boy, so she could act the part of a girl.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

No, I don't 'want that'.  I want any actor to be able to go for any part.  I want the producers and the movie studios to be able to choose whomever they want for the roles in the movies they are making and financing.  Maybe I want to pay money for a movie ticket to see Tom Hanks in Philadelphia rather than an unknown gay man; and Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher rather than someone else.  Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury...  The movie Halle Berry was considering sounds interesting with her in it, less so with an unknown.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mrs. Doubtfire. with Robin Williams

Some Like it Hot with  Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon.

Shakespeare in Love with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck

Monty Python and the Holy Grail with John Cleese, etc.

None of these movies are transgender - just people dressing up in drag in order to gain access to something. The article is about people of transgender playing transgender people - transgender isn't about putting on your mothers dress and high heels.

Though you may mean life of Brian (loretta)

• Like 1