UK-born Islamic State recruit can return from Syria to challenge citizenship removal

webfact

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

I will make another wild guess and suggest that most of our country is againgst this law being upheld, but being pragmatic doesn't fit all I suppose.

I agree that many will not be happy and are 'against this law'. Until the moment it affects them.

Everyone has a right to appeal a government decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

She lost those rights when she decided to join ISIS and marry a ISIS fighter, then saying that she has no regrets joining ISIS. She said that the Manchester bombing was justified and seeing severed heads of westerners in a bin didn't faze her, her motive for returning is she doesn't like living in a camp, not because she has repented, most decent citizens would not want her near anywhere near the British Isles. The law is supposed to represent its people, it is far from doing that, so spare me the reasons you think she should be returned, most of us are not buying it!

Her case if it has grounds will open up another 150 Begums trying to get back into our country.

I’m not sure on what basis you claim ‘she lost rights’ to protections under the law.

The law isn’t supposed to represent ‘its people’, that’s the job of MPs and Government who are also subject to the law.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, dexterm said:

Did any member here ever do anything stupid when you were a teenager?

If at 20 she's a security threat or she has committed any offences while overseas, she should face the consequences in a UK court. She's a British citizen.

If you throw UK law and order out the window, you are no better than the scum ISIS.

Agree, except with your first line. This is of a completely different order than the normal stupid things teenagers do.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

This is not only UK.

Similar court rulings are made in several other Western countries.

In my country a court even ruled that the government has to pay a huge penalty for every day they fail to repatriate them

I suspect it might be the case in any nation  in which the Government is itself and it’s actions are subject to the law.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Of course they can throw her out again. If the decision to remove her British citizenship is deemed legal, she can be removed to Bangladesh.

Will only work if Bangladesh will accept her, and they have already stated that they won't. Once she is in the UK, she is there for good. No one else will take her.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Will only work if Bangladesh will accept her, and they have already stated that they won't. Once she is in the UK, she is there for good. No one else will take her.

Yes. If she is not Bangladeshi she can not be stripped of British citizenship.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

No, as she is no longer a British Citizen. 

Incorrect. She still is a British citizen, that is what this case is about. She can't be stripped of citizenship without the option to appeal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Incorrect. She still is a British citizen, that is what this case is about. She can't be stripped of citizenship without the option to appeal.

If she is still British, what's stopping her from returning?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The case is actually about her wanting her British Citizenship reinstated so in fact she is no longer a British Citizen

Not true, read the op. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The article clearly states that the UK have stripped her of her citizenship already. She has the right to appeal that, but as of right now she’s not a British citizen, unless the article is wrong. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

If she is still British, what's stopping her from returning?

Again, read the op. Her citizenship was stripped, so she can not return. Now judges have decided that stripping of citizenship was not done according to the law, since she could not appeal the decision. So now she can return to appeal. If the decision to strip was lawful she will be expelled, if it was unlawful she can stay. If the latter, which I suspect, she will be tried in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, pacovl46 said:

The article clearly states that the UK have stripped her of her citizenship already. She has the right to appeal that, but as of right now she’s not a British citizen, unless the article is wrong. 

The decision to strip was deemed unlawful, so she is British citizen until the decision to strip is upheld.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1