Rayong department stores reopen after two-day closure but customers stay away

webfact

Rayong department stores reopen after two-day closure but customers stay away

By THE NATION

800_52e024fb5c579fc.jpg?v=1594953926

Two department stores in Rayong that had been ordered to shut down for two days reopened on Thursday (July 16) only to see virtually no customers as locals stayed away in fear after a Covid-19-infected Egyptian soldier paid a short visit to the eastern coastal province.

3dIwfjY83tLGfnAG_204915.jpg

The incident sparked fear in the province of a second wave of virus infections.

Passione Mall, formerly known as Laem Thong, and Central Plaza Rayong shut their doors on July 14-15 to be disinfected after the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) admitted on Monday (July 13) that it had made errors in managing the entry of some groups of foreigners.

The infected soldier was among a 31-strong delegation of Egyptian military personnel who landed at Rayong’s U-Tapao Airport last week, stayed in a local hotel and visited a local shopping mall. They were not subject to state quarantine unlike Thais who return to the country. The group left Thailand on Saturday (July 11), but a test result the next day confirmed one soldier had Covid-19.

4zbD6xUj0vQv8DtA_204939.jpg

“I thought people would line up to shop at the mall after two days of closing, but no one showed up,” said a merchant who runs a clothing shop in Passione Mall.

“Many merchants and I were here when the Egyptian soldier visited the mall and we have already been tested to confirm that we are not infected. I want the public to regain confidence soon as the mall has done everything, including disinfecting the whole areas and employing screening measures.”

Rayong Governor Surasak Chareonsirichote said on Thursday that tourism in the province was severely affected by the incident and that the province would try to quickly regain the confidence of locals and tourists.

“We have provided free Covid-19 testing for those in the risky group as well as those who are not,” he said.

“Next week the province will hold a meeting with related agencies and the private sector to organise tourism promotion activities in the areas that are not directly related to the incident and have no risk, such as Samet Island and Mae Phim Beach.

“During the months of the lockdown, natural resources along over 100 kilometres of Rayong coastline have fully rehabilitated,” added the governor.

“Rayong also has many cultural tourist attractions such as temples and floating fruit market that are awaiting tourists.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391478

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-17

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Rayong also has many cultural tourist attractions such as temples and floating fruit market that are awaiting tourists.”

Shopping malls, temples & a floating fruit market... I'll put it on my bucket list, near the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, hotchilli said:

Shopping malls, temples & a floating fruit market... I'll put it on my bucket list, near the bottom.

But still above those in that cesspit called Bangkok, I trust.