I finally beat Immigration... until next year my old foe!!!

59 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Stories like this really make me want to go for the Thai Elite, where all you have to do is present your passport and that is basically it. Yeah it is money down the toilet, but for 20 years of hassle-free dealings weistth immigration, you could argue it is money well spent.

The immigration didn't create any hassle. Just the applicant. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I just don't get these posts like Imm is some sort of enemy... yes, in my first few years I might forget this or that but they were always so helpful and nice and really, how much problem is it to make a couple of copies of something... they even helped me out a couple of times when I badly screwed up... and some of the people start telling stories of cursing out the IO??? What is the point of that other than to guarantee they will make your life difficult... 

Some falong's think they are superior and those at immigration should look up at them. They forget whose in charge and act stupid. I treat them with respect like I do most people. The exception is the British guy that was in front of me at Big C arguing with the cashier because his potatoes didn't have a price sticker. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Well i know how relax and happy you are and im happy you are ok now. And no more stress or headaches.

But... i dont think you beat them. At the end of day they got what they want.. more photos.. more copies.. 

But yes you did it in 1 day. I dont know wht its a common thing with the IO that they really dont want to do it at your first visit. There must be something with it. Maybe they want to check like you can do it or not. If you made fake things maybe you cannot do again or likewise. Dont know. But yes they have this habbit of not to do at the first visit.

Im going to khon kaen from bangkok tjis monday to extend my expired non o and im doing it just because nonthaburi IO refused to do it for some reason that i dont know... im full ready and sure i have all the paper work.. but im also sure they will find something and send me back to bangkok and do new things... 

Wish me luck, i hope i can beat them too. 555

Typical Thai IOs, give them 100 papers and they will ask for 101.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, trucking said:

Yes. Name names. There is currently a name and shame on dual pricing venues. About time there was one on immigration offices.

Name the ones who don't play fair or are corrupt.

There should be quite a long list.

I have been getting extensions for ten years many years on my own and the last few with an agent and never had the problems people talk about here. I guess if you have made up your mine to have problems your going to have them. Good luck next year

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bolt said:

I now give people an excuse to say I’m wrong and they’re right, I tell them I’m sorry and go about my business.

If you try to embarrass them in front or everyone, they will continue to dig and dig until the find something, or make something up.

Is your life really so dull that this is an important part of it??

Let them feel powerful, they usually stop looking after that, and you can walk away knowing you’ve won without them even knowing it, surely that’s a real victory.

When you win, the best thing is to let them know how happy you are about it. The only way you let anyone win is if it is going to be to your advantage.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Stories like this really make me want to go for the Thai Elite, where all you have to do is present your passport and that is basically it. Yeah it is money down the toilet, but for 20 years of hassle-free dealings with immigration, you could argue it is money well spent.

You can have hassle free dealings by using an agent at a small fraction of the price.

• Like 2

Yep, same old same old IM game...............played it every year until I had a gutful.................now I just pay a visa agent and "Bob's your Uncle" every year now.

Best investment I ever made................just a few less rounds of golf for a month and a few less tips for the bar girls for the month............  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To be honestly, the IO I visit every year gives never problems to me. No, I don't tell you which one but have to mention a few months ago somebody here on TV shows the supplies you need  for an retirement extension and just to make sure I made a copy of it.

But before I use this I never got any problem.

benodigdheden retirement visa.png

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

@greenmonkey

400K is peanuts, you should try changing it into 800K for retirement. The 'battle' is fiercer for retirees. It is more difficult to maintain a minimum balance of 800K.

Nowadays, they even require one year bank statement in addition to bank book which essentially does the same thing.

I did my 1 year extension at Jomtien Immigration in May. I'm using the money in the bank method. I just copied the pages in my bank book 1 year back to the last 1 year extension which I highlighted with a marker. Not a word about a bank statement. Just keep the bank book updated. That's what a lot of people don't get, then you'll need a bank statement. 

I know I have had an oops on almost every occasion of extending. But same as the OP I have had some a ha's as well. Having every page of the passport that has Thai stamps in them is their stupid way of wasting paper and wasting time. We can only hope that the nasty IO's get paper cuts on a daily basis. 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I did my 1 year extension at Jomtien Immigration in May. I'm using the money in the bank method. I just copied the pages in my bank book 1 year back to the last 1 year extension which I highlighted with a marker. Not a word about a bank statement. Just keep the bank book updated. That's what a lot of people don't get, then you'll need a bank statement. 

We kept the bank book updated alright but they still require bank statement which is ridiculous.

11 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I did mine based on monthly foreign transfers (65K+) and it was very easy, as usual. I've seen people turned away but they were not following the easy rules. If someone can't handle simple paperwork, it would be better to use an agent. 

That said Non O Marriage requires more, approval from Bangkok and in some cases a home visit.

BTW Married with a green card in US get home visits ,sometimes and grilled about being married. In the US I had several employees that reported this to me. I guess they need to make sure it's not just a marriage of convenience, same here ( i suppose). 

Monthly foreign transfer is even easier because you need to only keep a max of 65k at one time. I saw many people recycle their money although they lose exchange rate with every international transfer.

Try keeping a min of 800k stuck in your bank account for a change.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Ah yes, the roguest of rogue offices!

And I wonder why?

Are this people who are working there so frustrated that for that reason they want to take out there aggression, or is it envy or jealousy?

I really don't understand this.

Perhaps the officer in charge?

• Like 1

Well done but it is truly disgusting that you have an adversarial relationship with the immigration department in Thailand. 

I have relocated to the Philippines six years ago for precicely this reason. 

I have been treated with consideration and respect always here in the Philippines 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rosst said:

Well done but it is truly disgusting that you have an adversarial relationship with the immigration department in Thailand. 

The  OP clearly is having a bit of fun. It's hardly adversarial if it's about 1 hr. of "dueling" each year.

32 minutes ago, rosst said:

I have relocated to the Philippines six years ago for precicely this reason. 

From Thailand? Yeow, sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Some falong's think they are superior and those at immigration should look up at them. They forget whose in charge and act stupid. I treat them with respect like I do most people. The exception is the British guy that was in front of me at Big C arguing with the cashier because his potatoes didn't have a price sticker. 

hard to imagine... and why treat someone poorly who has power to make your life miserable... I have always found them pleasant. 

though it sounds like I would not have enjoyed the potato arguer... 

• Like 2

Greenmonkey I salute you! I would have bet that you experienced this in Ranong. I renewed 6 consecutive years and the 7th year while in dealing with the IO I gave up, she won, I said never mind and left. So for the past 8 years I have been 6 months in Farangland and 6 months in Thailand on METV. Life is SO much better. However the office in Hua Hin is the best I have ever dealt with and I probably would have stayed full time if I had that experience.

• Thanks 1

Please do not start a sentence with 'so'- it's like so, like Millenial, like

I renewed my retirement permit, (not VISA yesterday within 10 minutes.  

You have beaten nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

Have been here for almost 30 years. The immigration I met aways did a great job. 

Sounds like you know how to complete simple paperwork and make required copies. Also, you probably don't enter the office with an attitude. Therefore, quite easy. 

• Like 1