I finally beat Immigration... until next year my old foe!!!

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Monthly foreign transfer is even easier because you need to only keep a max of 65k at one time. I saw many people recycle their money although they lose exchange rate with every international transfer.

Try keeping a min of 800k stuck in your bank account for a change.

Generally, the 65+K covers my living expenses so it's no big deal. Before, I'd transfer a big sum a couple of times a year for living expenses, but the monthly transfer is easiest. No major expenses because the house and car are paid for. The bank balance is  just there if needed, but I also have several high balance credit cards I can us. 

I could switch to 800K in the bank at any time, but using SS IDD is a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Thats a place where the Im Nearly Skint go.

ok... I was first here in 1974 as a backpacker and the few other Westerners here were friendly and curious, exploring another culture... I have been a bit out of it, most of the last 20 years living in a small farming village, but now, I do see farang walking around who are totally skint looking people... I assume they are here only for financial survival, though I am not sure how they got the money to get here or stay here... 

and you are saying there is a lot of that in PPI? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

It's guys like him who get f.. around because most are breaking the law by using an agent. 

I would guess only 10 to 15% of us actually do it legally. 

That would mean that 85 to 90% of all long-stayers are dodging the Immigration requirements by using a Fixer Agent.

Hardly credible!

• Like 1

Well done !

I got to play the same game since 5 years with the imigration in Siracha, every year they ask me for something new, and dish out the extra paper who was asked last year.

Unfortunalty so far i coudlnt beat them like you here as they always come with something new and often umpredictable.
A list of their one time only demand :

- More picture from me and my wife at home ( ok a classical they got me like a noob on my second visa extention)

- Garranty letter from two thai people stating they know me and i realy live with my wife.

- Second set of pictures of me and my wife but wearing differents clothes (and yes they said they need both)

- Bank statement of the last 3 months  (in addition from the usual bookbank copies and the letter of fund from the bank)

- Interview of my neighbour (this one they just have no way to win it in front of the desk)

Cant wait to see what they will come with this year...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, puck2 said:

14 times I had to do my extension of stay in IO of Mae Hong Son. During this time only 2 officers reliable for my request.

Every time excellent service, done within 15 - 30 minutes after arrivel. Forgot a copy of xxxx, no problem, the officer printed it.

I think different provinces have different attitudes. If you renew in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or places with huge number of foreigners, they will make life difficult for you.

I think there are hardly any foreigners in Mae Hong Son doing one year visa.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:11 AM, possum1931 said:

You can have hassle free dealings by using an agent at a small fraction of the price.

This in response to my suggestion that Thai Elite avoids all these issues. Yes, I suspect at the end of the day using an agent to do marriage extensions for me is exactly what I will do when the time comes.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:53 AM, ezzra said:

but you can clearly see on their faces that had they have one wish, they would have wished that the lot us would disappear in puff of smoke and stop bothering them like, forever...

Sounds like some of the offices I've worked in, a continuous stand off between the Thai and farang teachers. Fueled by a difference in salaries, responsibilities, the fact they're supposed to be English teachers yet their proficiency is lacking, and yet they don't want to work with or talk to the farangs to improve it, can't lose any of that face now. Ahh.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, G Rex said:

Well done that man!

may the force be with you...

On 7/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, G Rex said:

Well done that man!

may the force be with you...

Good job Green monkey.I got my laugh for the day. You have way more patience than myself, to make all those copies. I started using an agent years ago when they tried playing games with me.Good luck next year.

• Like 2

This used to happen with me and the wife before. However, we now deal with a reasonable IO officer, so much easier now. She had a file like the OP with all options hopefully covered, and wud produce when asked for. The conversation with IO and wife used to go like this ........... ????

Wifey: Wha you wan ?

IO: Wha you got?

Wifey: No, wha you wan?

IO: I need this and this and this etc.

Wifey: OK

IO: Wha else you got?

Wifey: Wha you wan?

and so it continued with this guy, until finished. Ridiculous, and I just let them get on with it. As I said, a reasonable, young IO now, and all is good. ????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Its funny how easy it is to upset fellow old hands ego. All the Marry Extension needs for a hassle free one stop is 800 K in your Shaker. and yer Wifes permission to live in Her House. I wander off after the finance bits cleared.:drunk:

You report at Jomtien or Si Racha?

On 7/18/2020 at 4:19 PM, kenk24 said:

I just don't get these posts like Imm is some sort of enemy... yes, in my first few years I might forget this or that but they were always so helpful and nice and really, how much problem is it to make a couple of copies of something... they even helped me out a couple of times when I badly screwed up... and some of the people start telling stories of cursing out the IO??? What is the point of that other than to guarantee they will make your life difficult... 

Agreed. I have encountered very nice and very bad IO's over the last few years. I'm always extremely respectful and polite. In CW BKK it has always been females. Sometimes it has shocked me at their approach, From others their kindness has been greatfully received. Remember Forest Gump? Last time I had not even completed the extension application and the IO even did copying for me as I filled in the form. Before a different IO barked at me. One never knows. Just remember folks always be ultra polite. It costs nothing.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, Isaan Alan said:

It's really a circus isn't it? Oh they are such devils!

you need to carry a wheelbarrow full of copies into the place, anticipating every possible extra

That has reminded me of last year, when an IO was asking a guy for other needed docs. that he had not brought in, oh he says their in my M/C out he goes comes back, still missing some docs, out he goes again, as he was leaving, i said why don't you bring your M/C inside, to which all the IO burst out laughing :cheesy::cheesy: 

On 7/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, greenmonkey said:

He studied the photos I had provided of myself and my family (4 photos on A4).

At 'my' IO you must supply 2 copies of 6 photos, their latest little game they have come up with, is now, you have to cut out each photo, with scissors from your A4s, and with a glue stick glue them onto their A4s. with a pre-printed NAME.................at the top of page, and under each photo printed SIGN.....................

Dafter and Dafter by the minute. Next year i am tempted to cut them out before i arrive to save 30 min there, but my guess is they will have changed it yet again.

Edited by brianthainess
correct grammar
  • Haha 1

Well done, I took everything that my 6 visits to immigration last year was required only to be told more information required, armed with this new information returned, shocked to be told ok after a bit of gentle persuasion from my wife. Under consideration stamped in my passport happy days. 2 hrs later as we were nearly home, Immigration need more information copies of my bank book and another letter from the bank, ok we said, went to the bank got the information 1 hr drive back to immigration ok she said enough now. Got into the car just set off for home a call from immigration back to the car park and into the office, explain why your bank book does not show all transactions, I only update when I come here and not all transactions are recorded, that’s why you ask for the statements for 12 months I replied, ok next year I want to see all transactions in your book so get more updates ok I said and away we went. See you in a months time. 3 visits in one day.

• Thanks 1