Air fryers

Meat Pie 47

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

yes, very good. Never us oil myself and cooks in half  the time

Yes I am very happy with it I just wondered if anybody else use it. I don't know what brand you use 

but I use it to bake cakes as well

The ones that you see on Lazada and Shopee for about 1500 baht are ok and some are good, while the more expensive and bigger one goes for a lot more, these things are very versatile and there isn't much you can cook with them, go for the big ones over 5 lt in capacity and the powerful one and you'll get good use out of them...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Use it only for frozen French Fries. 

About 20 minutes. 

No oil needed, no smell at all. 

Mine is not very good for FF, but pork steaks cooked in it are nice.

Takes twice as long to cook chips as deep frying them in the wok.

I just bought the Smarthome 3.5 ltrs, found it very good for frozen French fries.

Have experimented a few times with chicken breast and wings and find them also very good.

Gf is not so sure , she is confused by the lack of oil dripping off them ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I think the idea of the air fryer is " no oil " not to save time.

• Like 2

They great for smaller things.

Easy to clean.

I bake a lot of Aussie pies and sausage rolls so freezer is stocked.

From freezer to air fryer great way to heat them quickly.

Wife cooks my lunch in there often.

Never tried to bake in airfryer, I give the fan forced oven a hammering though.

????????‍????????????

We use ours a lot especially for things like chicken wings, legs and such like.  Great for cooking sausages and bacon too.  I bought the grill pan too which I like, better for cooking steaks and fish IMO but as you don't use the basket and its lid (ours is Phillips) doesn't protect the inside from spitting fats.  I also bought a riser tray that adds another level to stack stuff, that's OK too.  It comes with 4 skewers too but if using all 4 the gap between them is so small that the food items on each one need to be tiny, so we tend to use just two at a time.  French fries I'm guessing it could do well, just haven't found any frozen ones that aren't too dry and synthetic tasting yet, I find those that I've tried taste better when I use spray oil on them.  Yet to get round to making fries using fresh potatoes, truthfully I'm not a big fries person so up to now I just couldn't be bothered.

25 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can someone  explain the difference  between an "air fryer" and a  "convection" oven in function?

I have one of  those  cheap glass bodied circular convection ovens which I  find  great for  pizza and  baking  cakes. Have never attempted potato fries.

I was guessing they mean convection oven .

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

9 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Use it only for frozen French Fries. 

About 20 minutes. 

No oil needed, no smell at all. 

Actually frozen FF have some oil and from my reading should only take 12 minutes at 200c (which indeed seems fine to us).  If fresh potatoes would take longer.  A lot better than soggy fries from a shop.  Also great for frozen chicken strips (15 minutes at 180c).  But that is using wire mesh basket type so heat is everywhere without any preheat.  Otto model Tesco Lotus had on sale a week or two ago.  No cleaning needed for those type foods - read if cooking something that drips best to put a little water in outer pan to avoid smoke but so far just using to avoid deep or pan oil frying.

39 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can someone  explain the difference  between an "air fryer" and a  "convection" oven in function?

I have one of  those  cheap glass bodied circular convection ovens which I  find  great for  pizza and  baking  cakes. Have never attempted potato fries.

It's exactly the same thing, just a different design. heating element plus fan. Perhaps just better sealed. You don't need to bother to replace yours.

OTTO brand @ Makro from 700 baht. Rarely a need to spend more. You can buy similar convection ovens with the accessories for dry frying and more for around 1200 baht or less.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:
47 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It's exactly the same thing, just a different design. heating element plus fan. Perhaps just better sealed. You don't need to bother to replace yours.

OTTO brand @ Makro from 700 baht. Rarely a need to spend more. You can buy similar convection ovens with the accessories for dry frying and more for around 1200 baht or less.

The main difference is in how the hot air is circulated and the generally larger volume of the 'cheap glass' ones. We have had the larger glass ones for a few years and Mrs NL used it more than me, mainly doing larger cuts of pork, chicken, etc.. The first one was Otto which eventually 'burned out' while I was away, The replacement is Daichi brand but both cost about 800 baht. Recently I bought a proper Haier branded air fryer from Thai Watsadu (1300 baht opened-box special) and have used it for fries, chicken, pies, pizzas, burgers all with great success (apart from the first pizza that got nuked).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I used to cook chips in a wok and the airfryer cooks in half the time and less cleaning too.

You're taking into account the time it takes to add oil, heat the wok etc?

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

You can use it to cook any meal but of course it is up to you

True. You can cook anything in them. I cook everything from rashers of bacon to whole small chickens in mine. They are just small, powerful fan ovens, so just rub a bit of olive oil over whatever you want to cook.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A couple of others have answered but seem to have missed the main difference. Yes, they both work primarily by convection (although the would be some radiated heat from the lamps in the "convection" ovens and yes, they both have fans that assist with the convection but those are similarities and you asked for the difference.

Aside from the fan a convection oven has no moving parts, the food sits where you leave it, if it needs turning you have to do it yourself. In an air fryer the food is constantly turned so that it cooks more evenly. The food is heated by conduction from the pan as well as by convection.

9 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

In an air fryer the food is constantly turned so that it cooks more evenly. The food is heated by conduction from the pan as well as by convection.

You lost me there.

How is conduction applied in an air fryer, since the heating element is above and separated from the pan, and how is the food constantly turned without any moving parts, other than the fan?

Edited by Susco

8 hours ago, SooKee said:

French fries I'm guessing it could do well, just haven't found any frozen ones that aren't too dry and synthetic tasting yet,

Lower the time you fry them. 15 min on 200°, with a shake of the basket half way trough, should do.

If you fry them too long they turn dry

8 hours ago, SooKee said:

Yet to get round to making fries using fresh potatoes

Doesn't work out very well with fresh potatoes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Lower the time you fry them. 15 min on 200°, with a shake of the basket half way trough, should do.

If you fry them too long they turn dry

Doesn't work out very well with fresh potatoes.

Yeah that's how we do them now.  They're OK, edible, but meh.  Tried about 3 brands now, much the same.  At the end of the day I far prefer regular deep fat fryer chips but the air fryer is OK at a push I suppose.  Friend of mine did some fresh in his having par boiled them first and then air-fryer.  Much better than the frozen IMO but I just don't crave fries enough to bother I guess.