Cheap Beer

thaiflyer1

25 minutes ago, smiggley said:

He won't last long at that price as they cost 42 baht per bottle to buy, out of your 2 baht you have to pay staff, elec for fridge, air con, lights etc. What are the prices of the other drinks as this must be a short time promotion.   

The bar owner is getting stooged at 42b a bottle of Heinekin... can buy retail at Tesco for 39b a bottle (935b/box).

21 hours ago, Susco said:

What's the price of a box heineken at Makro?

I bet it is close to if not over 44 Baht a bottle

I know a case of SML costs me 950, so 40/ bottle. Good price if they are cold!

On 7/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, rott said:

So what is the difference then? 

I would not say that paying that price in an aircon bar makes you any one of the above. 

Agreed, wise shopper I reckon, why pay 100 for the same beer elsewhere if you can buy for 44, bargain 

I guess the bars are urged to somehow initiate customers' attraction due to Covid devastated their businesses.

As soon as the borders open, the prices are going to skyrocket. This price of beer is reflection of demand / supply of customers.

So let's enjoy while we can ????

On 7/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

So thanks for your pearls of wisdom Sandy. I got it regardless. Still it is quite cheap but as i have not been able to get back to Thailand since Christmas, who knows what is cheap now.????

60 Baht for a large Chang is good enough for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Can't stand the stuff Sandy but everyone has their tastes. Drinking it in early 2000s put me off but people say it has improved but can't bring myself to manage it. I also prefer draft.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Can't stand the stuff Sandy but everyone has their tastes. Drinking it in early 2000s put me off but people say it has improved but can't bring myself to manage it. I also prefer draft.

Been on Chang since I first came in 99 and I would say it has gone downhill, not improved. In those days not very common and usually frozen from the bottom of the fridge.

I drink Archa at home, not a lot different and quite a bit cheaper, never seen it in a bar.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, Don Mega said:

I will after you answer my question... you observed the point and posted so why not tell me ?

Well from your posts you appear to have a non-teaching job, and as farang are not normally employed as fitter's mates or cleaners, only in positions higher up I jumped to the conclusion. 

Now tell us your position on the various Thai beers. 

On 7/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

If you don't know then it is pointless explaining.  Neither did I say that paying that price was either.

I just don't see that paying 44 for a small bottle in an aircon bar makes you any form of cheapskate. 

On 7/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, luckyluke said:

Thonglor, not known for being the cheapest area of Bangkok.

The Old English Pub =pint of Asahi = 99 ThB.

I remember the good old days (2010).

When it was 3 large bottles for 99bht, served by sexy young girls in tight beer dresses.

Nobody ever accepted the offer a second time.

The only beer that was worse was Cheers.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, sandyf said:

Only one bar in Buakhao doing that price as far as I know. And due to current regs if two of you go in you have to sit at separate tables. That's if there are any empty tables. 

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya. but Leo doesn't count as being real "beer".....  

Oh gawd one sneers at Heineken one sneers at Leo. Pointless exercise lads, essentially it's all drinkable but none memorable. It goes down the throat and does the job. 

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya. but Leo doesn't count as being real "beer".....  

there is no cheap beer in Thailand, unfortunately.

this place would be much closer to paradise if lager cost 15 baht a pint.

12 minutes ago, tgw said:

there is no cheap beer in Thailand, unfortunately.

this place would be much closer to paradise if lager cost 15 baht a pint.

Local beer merchants. 1 Case of Chang Classic, 15 cans, Bht 650 ! I'll stay at home thanks.

Just now, stouricks said:

Local beer merchants. 1 Case of Chang Classic, 15 cans, Bht 650 ! I'll stay at home thanks.

Case of 12x620 ml Leo bottles, 609 baht. Also have Heini, SML and a few cans of Kopper from the 7-11. Plenty of choice for you guys to deride my preferences there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

I am glad i don't drink anymore. Saves so much money.

If I were to quit having a beer from time to time I would hope the reason was not that I couldn't afford it.