Cheap Beer

thaiflyer1

4 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Better making something than nothing! Sell 100 beers at 44 or sell 10 beers at 60 or more? The bills are still there, might as well make something, you can always get more beer, you can't always get more customers!

The distributors sell the beer cheaper in 100s, so more profit on the 100 @44bht.

Not to mention a free serving girl in a beer dress if you do it on a regular basis.

A guy I know running a bar said he didn't care about profit on the beer sales, he made his money from selling 'lady drinks' and the girls, sometimes he could sell the same girl twice in an evening.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Better making something than nothing! Sell 100 beers at 44 or sell 10 beers at 60 or more? The bills are still there, might as well make something, you can always get more beer, you can't always get more customers!

Selling at 44 baht a beer wouldn't even be covering the costs of getting the 44 baht beer to the customer.  At 44 baht a beer, it runs at a loss.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Selling at 44 baht a beer wouldn't even be covering the costs of getting the 44 baht beer to the customer.  At 44 baht a beer, it runs at a loss.  

All those mom & pop stores, 7-11s and booze shops running at a loss.

Surprised there's so many of them!

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All those mom & pop stores, 7-11s and booze shops running at a loss.

Surprised there's so many of them!

Mom and Pop stores have other items for sale, and usually live on site. 

If all you are selling is beer at 44 baht, take rent, electric, water, staff salaries, tea money etc out of the margin, and the bar is behind. 

I have no doubt the 44 baht beer is the bait, and then they hope to sell lady drinks and bar fines.     

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Mom and Pop stores have other items for sale, and usually live on site. 

If all you are selling is beer at 44 baht, take rent, electric, water, staff salaries, tea money etc out of the margin, and the bar is behind. 

I have no doubt the 44 baht beer is the bait, and then they hope to sell lady drinks and bar fines.     

My local booze shop sells large U-beer at 50bht, he only sells booze.

Another one down the road, only sells booze.

You can sit at the table outside, and they'll give you a glass and ice, no extra charge.

I assume they pay rent, electric, licence to sell booze.

Just one man and his woman operations.

Must be worthwhile or they wouldn't do it.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can sit at the table outside, and they'll give you a glass and ice, no extra charge.

I would say they own the property, or a family member owns the property.  if not, how many beers per day would they have to sell to cover expenses. and then make a profit?  

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ever considered setting up your partner selling large beers at 50 Baht?

Going by your reasoning, you could be rich in no time, with an investment of only a few boxes of beer.

Sell them 1 baht cheaper and you will pull all the customers your way.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would say they own the property, or a family member owns the property.  if not, how many beers per day would they have to sell to cover expenses. and then make a profit?  

Shopfronts outside Chiang Mai are about 3,000bht/month.

Usually a shop at the bottom (room to live at the back) then 2 apartments above, rented separately 3K, 2k5, 2k5.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Ever considered setting up your partner selling large beers at 50 Baht?

Going by your reasoning, you could be rich in no time, with an investment of only a few boxes of beer.

Sell them 1 baht cheaper and you will pull all the customers your way.

I'm already rich enough, don't need to make more.

No interest in selling beer, I just drink it.

I buy 3 wine coolers a day, that's at least 12bht profit, 360bht profit a month.

If they have 9 other customers like me, they've made their rent back, and a free place to live.

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Shopfronts outside Chiang Mai are about 3,000bht/month.

Usually a shop at the bottom (room to live at the back) then 2 apartments above, rented separately 3K, 2k5, 2k5.

This is the Pattaya Forum, not Chiang Mai.  You would have to be a long way out of Pattaya to secure rent at prices like that in the Chonburi Province.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The distributors sell the beer cheaper in 100s, so more profit on the 100 @44bht.

Not to mention a free serving girl in a beer dress if you do it on a regular basis.

I wonder if they can buy old stock for a better price too... there is certainly a lot of that about. Stuff made back in March when the tourists were still pouring in. A few cases I just bought are stamped early March.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, Leaver said:

This is the Pattaya Forum, not Chiang Mai.  You would have to be a long way out of Pattaya to secure rent at prices like that in the Chonburi Province.  

Yes, people regularly forget the principle of comparing like with like. The theme in this thread is bar prices for local beer in Central Pattaya. Shop prices in country areas miles away are of little relevance. (or in Makro etc in Pattaya). 

Edited by rott

On 8/1/2020 at 8:24 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

..................another week passes , same bar Leo now 80 baht Heineken 90 baht a bottle................happy hour up until 8pm 60 baht/bottle

Lady Drinks 150 baht

Change of watering hole required

A number of places on Soi Buakhao doing large Leo for 70 (or less) but they don't seem to have ladies available for a barfine. 

On 8/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, rott said:

Yes, people regularly forget the principle of comparing like with like. The theme in this thread is bar prices for local beer in Central Pattaya. Shop prices in country areas miles away are of little relevance. (or in Makro etc in Pattaya). 

The thing is, Pattaya prices are the same, if not more expensive, than some of Thailand's very nice tourist destinations. 

I have said before, I think this is because Thai landlords here ask unreasonable rents.  Yes, sex sells, but when everything around the sex, like accommodation, food, alcohol, transport etc are overpriced, compared to elsewhere, then people go elsewhere, and we saw that this past high season, pre virus.  

• 1 month later...

In my never ending quest to bring you cheap beer , after leaving the 44 baht a bottle bar in Soi Lk last night took a left onto Soi Buakhao and 10m on the left found.........39 baht a bottle, all beers, all day and night......with a live band............beat that if you can.............band was easy listening

1 (2).jpg2 (2).jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

In my never ending quest to bring you cheap beer , after leaving the 44 baht a bottle bar in Soi Lk last night took a left onto Soi Buakhao and 10m on the left found.........39 baht a bottle, all beers, all day and night......with a live band............beat that if you can.............band was easy listening

1 (2).jpg2 (2).jpg

I just paid 950 for a case of SML which suggests they are losing money.

39 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

1 (2).jpg2 (2).jpg

They sure went all out on the signage.

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

1 (2).jpg2 (2).jpg

The never ending quest for the universal truth. Thank you for this

10 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

2 (2).jpg

Was this really Heineken? And what was it - draft or a bottle? 

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Could be a loss leader for whatever other business the establishment's trying to promote, i.e. food. But, I'm only guessing.  

I have seen this attempted a few times but the soi Buakhao crowd are adept at avoiding any superficial extras like food, peanuts, lady-drinks etc in their quest for many cheap beers. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Oldie said:

They only do bottles far as i could see..........no food..........laid back type of place........dozen girls, not pushy...........toilets could do with a bucket of bleach thrown over them

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Oldie said:

On friday evening myself and a mate called in for a couple,me Tiger Light him SM Light,both 39 baht and no inkling of it being past it,s best before date...half a dozen ladies but non pushy and the bar could sure do with a refurb... we sat watching the world go by on Soi Buk and later moved on to our regular place not too far away....how do they sell beer so cheap..dunno...don,t really care,time will tell if it carries on or not....it sure beats another beer bar wanting 90 baht for the same beers just around the corner.....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

They only do bottles far as i could see..........no food..........laid back type of place........dozen girls, not pushy...........toilets could do with a bucket of bleach thrown over them

Crabs and cheap beer! Nah.

• Haha 1