Cheap Beer

thaiflyer1

I'm often shocked by the price difference for exactly the same product, e.g. in Phra Khanong a small bottle of Singha is 50 THB 5-7PM, then at 7:01PM it's 100 THB, same bottle is approx 250 THB at a rooftop bar just a few meters away, Madness....

[For anybody in that area O'Briens Irish bar does pints of Asahi for 89 THB all night long] 

Looking forward to sampling a few of those 44 THB Pattaya beers on LK Metro next week, just a shame that I'll have the GF with me so that's all I'll be able to sample... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Think of the money you'll be saving on 'Lady drinks'.

Trouble is I still buy them... I know, I'm an idiot but after a few drinks my wallet gets stuck at open... At least it's not Singapore where a "Lady Drink" can cost you > 1,500 THB a time. 

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm often shocked by the price difference for exactly the same product, e.g. in Phra Khanong a small bottle of Singha is 50 THB 5-7PM, then at 7:01PM it's 100 THB, same bottle is approx 250 THB at a rooftop bar just a few meters away, Madness....

[For anybody in that area O'Briens Irish bar does pints of Asahi for 89 THB all night long] 

Looking forward to sampling a few of those 44 THB Pattaya beers on LK Metro next week, just a shame that I'll have the GF with me so that's all I'll be able to sample... 

I was shocked to be able to buy cartons of Leo in Australia for Bt.650.00 (2018/2019) making me wonder why it is so expensive here.

2 hours ago, heybuz said:

i always thought beer was cheap in thailand until i took notice of the volume which is 110ml less than beer in my home country, large bottles I'm talking about.640 leo home 750ml

Well, it's even worse as they are not 640, but only 620. ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Strangely that is no longer the cheapest price around Soi Bukhao. (and I don't want to be told the Makro price) 

Referring to another post, how long ago was a large Leo 640 mi? 630 was not too long ago but 640?

I remember Singha reducing theirs to 500 ml for a while, perhaps they hoped everybody else would follow suit. 

7 hours ago, petermik said:

how do they sell beer so cheap..dunno...don,t really care,time will tell if it carries on or not....it sure beats another beer bar wanting 90 baht for the same beers just around the corner....

They will soon have a problem when the bar is full of customers who only drink the 39 baht beers.   

They are taking the seats of customers that may drink spirits, or buy a lady drink, or pay a bar fine.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

They will soon have a problem when the bar is full of customers who only drink the 39 baht beers.   

They are taking the seats of customers that may drink spirits, or buy a lady drink, or pay a bar fine.

If I'm out and beers are so cheap, I'd buy a few lady drinks just because.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Nope...plenty of nearby bars selling beer almost as cheap...in a nicer enviroment..with eye candy to keep you interested :thumbsup:

From your comments it,s obvious you have no first hand knowledge of this bar....buying a lady drink and paying barfines in this bar....no no no take a look for yourself and come back on here with your update....:whistling:

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Nope...plenty of nearby bars selling beer almost as cheap...in a nicer enviroment..with eye candy to keep you interested :thumbsup:

From your comments it,s obvious you have no first hand knowledge of this bar....buying a lady drink and paying barfines in this bar....no no no take a look for yourself and come back on here with your update....:whistling:

Is Boss Bar (Opposite Wetherspoons) still running their cheap beer promotion?

IIRC it was 60 THB all night for local beers when I was there at the end of July. 

4 hours ago, petermik said:

Correct.  I have not been to the bar.  I will check it out.

For how long do you think bars can sell cheap beer, without selling anything else? 

Beer at this price runs to a loss.  Doesn't even cover the electric to keep it cool.  

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

If the beers are so cheap, the lady drinks will be expensive, to make up for the shortfall.  Would you pay 200 baht for a lady drink?  

Do they cost 200 bht? If not stop the silly games. What's wrong with buying a lady drink?

On 9/13/2020 at 10:42 AM, Leaver said:

21 hours ago, petermik said:

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

If the beers are so cheap, the lady drinks will be expensive, to make up for the shortfall.  Would you pay 200 baht for a lady drink?  

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Correct.  I have not been to the bar.  I will check it out.

For how long do you think bars can sell cheap beer, without selling anything else? 

Beer at this price runs to a loss.  Doesn't even cover the electric to keep it cool.  

Before you make any other comments on this bar go there..take a look...I,m all for cheap beer but this place is a well...no comment....I doubt very much if anyone would be inclined to buy ladydrinks....

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:11 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Do they cost 200 bht? If not stop the silly games. What's wrong with buying a lady drink?

Haven't been there, so don't know what they cost there.

Nothing wrong with buying a lady drink.  Each to their own. 

Simply saying, cheap beer is the "bait" and they would be looking at making the money back in some other way.  Eg. lady drinks.    

22 hours ago, petermik said:

Before you make any other comments on this bar go there..take a look...I,m all for cheap beer but this place is a well...no comment....I doubt very much if anyone would be inclined to buy ladydrinks....

You make it sound like I shouldn't bother.  Maybe a walk past might be enough.  ????

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

You make it sound like I shouldn't bother.  Maybe a walk past might be enough.  ????

The beer is cheap yes but the place is rather run down..staff looking tired and passed their sell by date to be honest,I didn,t stay for the band to start playing perhaps it "picked up" by then.....I,m all for going in a bar selling cheapish beer but much better alternatives nearby for not much more baht...in fact some 70 baht large bottle places :thumbsup:

p.s. on a positive note for Zero Bar upon paying our 78 baht bills with 100 baht notes our change was brought...and declined.....at another 50 baht bar round the corner 60 baht was placed in the bin...no change offered...bit naughty :sad:

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

at another 50 baht bar round the corner 60 baht was placed in the bin...no change offered...bit naughty

I don't like that, especially when you want the 10 baht for a baht bus, or you have to pay to use the toilet in a beer bar complex.  If the smallest you have is 100 baht, you get a hand full of coins in change.  

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I don't like that, especially when you want the 10 baht for a baht bus, or you have to pay to use the toilet in a beer bar complex.  If the smallest you have is 100 baht, you get a hand full of coins in change.  

It is naughty...I would have left the change anyhow...that,s how some places work unfortunately these days :sad:

51 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Haven't been there, so don't know what they cost there.

Nothing wrong with buying a lady drink.  Each to their own. 

Simply saying, cheap beer is the "bait" and they would be looking at making the money back in some other way.  Eg. lady drinks.    

Places are doing deals on Lady drinks also. I am happy to buy hostess drinks when I'm in the mood. I learnt 30 years ago that lady drinks are an important part of the girls salaries.

On 9/13/2020 at 11:31 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Trouble is I still buy them... I know, I'm an idiot but after a few drinks my wallet gets stuck at open... At least it's not Singapore where a "Lady Drink" can cost you > 1,500 THB a time. 

You said you would be with your Thai girl friend. Sorry I dont believe you.

1 minute ago, Nout said:

Places are doing deals on Lady drinks also. I am happy to buy hostess drinks when I'm in the mood. I learnt 30 years ago that lady drinks are an important part of the girls salaries.

Sure, but there's a limit to how much people will pay.  As some stage, the price of a lady drink exceeds what the market is willing to pay, even for the 2 week millionaire tourists.

Would you pay 200, 250, 300 baht, or more, for a lady drink?      

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but there's a limit to how much people will pay.  As some stage, the price of a lady drink exceeds what the market is willing to pay, even for the 2 week millionaire tourists.

I'd pay the same price as my beer ........ unless naked breasts were on offer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If you need to talk to someone simply talk to Siri. Siri will never ask for a drink. She is for free and you might have a much better conversation than with many of these ladies... 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you need to talk to someone simply talk to Siri. Siri will never ask for a drink. She is for free and you might have a much better conversation than with many of these ladies... 

When it comes to bar girls, I'm a more action and less talk kinda guy.   ????

1 hour ago, Nout said:

You said you would be with your Thai girl friend. Sorry I dont believe you.

Of course I buy the girl that’s bringing my drink, maybe setting up the pool for me a drink or 2 unless I’m just having 1-2 beers in which case it’s a 50-60 THB cash tip instead.

GF doesn’t mind as she understands that’s (part of) how the girls make their money & (as she used to work on commission selling make-up in a department store), knows how hard it is for them with there being no customers around.

Back to cheap beers, seems most places around LK are selling beers for 55/60 THB a pop so plenty of places to choose from if the absolute cheapest is full...