Drivers licenses extensions

As we know one can renew the licenses for either motorbike or private car either up to one month before or within one year after it expires without doing any written tests or exam.

However as far as Covid problems exists. It is not possible to renew mine within my limit of 4 september 2020. Then it has expired one year ago. Will there be any leniency towards this or do others have any experiences in this matter?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should be able to renew it till 1 year after the expire date without problems. There is no leniency due to Corona so far i know.

FYI,  You can renew 3 months before the date of expiry, as I did last week.  

Do you live in Phuket? That's were I did it, it opened for renewals for westerners on the 1st July.  

You should be able to renew it till 1 year after the expire date without problems.

There is no leniency due to Corona so far i know.

• Like 1

From your post, on 4 September it is one year after expiry? If so, you'll have to do part of the procedure again, I think the theory test only if you do it before 1 September 2021.

I would recommend not to wait till the last moment.

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys... However.. I was unclear... I can not ask them. If so I would have had the renewal done long time ago. I am not in Thailand, and cant travel in. Secondly. It expired one year ago on september this year of nr. 4. That is already within the rules of one year. After that there is a written and practical test. meaning start all over again.. Unless they let it pass since a lot of people will be in my situation.

Emails has been sent and no answers of course.

Edited by paahlman
59 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Thanks guys... However.. I was unclear... I can not ask them. If so I would have had the renewal done long time ago. I am not in Thailand, and cant travel in. Secondly. It expired one year ago on september this year of nr. 4. That is already within the rules of one year. After that there is a written and practical test. meaning start all over again.. Unless they let it pass since a lot of people will be in my situation.

Emails has been sent and no answers of course.

That's how I presumed. Afaik one year plus after expiry theory test only. After 3? Years theory plus practical test. Information should be somewhere in the motor forum, hidden in some threads.

4 minutes ago, beechbum said:

FYI, 

You can renew 3 months before the date of expiry, as I did last week.

how did you do that?  Our local DLT doesn't open for any licence renewals until tomorrow, 20th July. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

how did you do that?  Our local DLT doesn't open for any licence renewals until tomorrow, 20th July. 

Do you live in Phuket?

That's were I did it, it opened for renewals for westerners on the 1st July.

• Thanks 1
Just now, beechbum said:

Do you live in Phuket?

That's were I did it, it opened for renewals for westerners on the 1st July.

okay, lucky you. My DLT office is in Bang Lamung, outside Pattaya. 

Does the renewal of up to 1 year after expiry also apply to the 2 year temp licence,just asking because mine is due beginning of September. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, beechbum said:

FYI, 

You can renew 3 months before the date of expiry, as I did last week.

Yes.. I said a month initially.. I did mean three... Thanks... 

Edited by paahlman
misspelling
18 hours ago, paahlman said:

Come to think about it.. There is another way of not doing the theory. Bring international licence and convert it. 

That won't work if already in possession of Thai license, expired or not.