Drivers licenses extensions

paahlman

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Renewed mine today. Not much to report, all quite straightforward but here goes anyway.

Appointments should be made in person. Passport, old licence, proof of residence required. They then give you an appointment slip and this is what happens on the day of the appointment:

You only need the papers that would have been returned to you when you made the appointment.

Don't get there ridiculously early. Foreigners are given their own queue and Thais go in first!

Traffic light style colour-blindness and reaction tests are the only tests you need to do.

There's then an hour or so watching the cheesy foreigner-only video. We were also treated to 15 minutes or so of the Thai version as they werent ready for us downstairs. The subtitles are so badly translated!

Quite a long wait to pay today. 550 baht for a car licence. The queue speeded up when a second desk was opened. Check the details on the paper they give you. They transcribed the UK year of my date of birth incorrectly as they now put only a Thai year on the licence. I obviously I look ten years younger than I really am. It happened to at least one other person as well.

I thought long trousers were necessary but there were plenty of people in shorts.

Got there just before 8am, out at 11:15. Not too bad.

Traffic style colour test is periphiral vision test?

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Traffic style colour test is periphiral vision test?

No

The peripheral vision test seems to have disappeared. There's a set of three lights that change colour and you tell the examiner the colour. They are directly in front of you.

• Thanks 1