Over 1,100 overseas Thais returning home in next two days

rooster59

Over 1,100 overseas Thais returning home in next two days

By THE NATION

800_7efb283c0208172.jpg

There were seven cases of Covid-19, the big increase over a 24-hour period in weeks, the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported on Saturday (July 18).

But Thailand has gone 56 days without a domestic case.

All the new patients had returned from foreign countries and were in state quarantine.

Two had returned from the US, one from Bahrain and four from Egypt.

In Thailand, the total number of cases since the outbreak, as of Saturday, was 3,246, with 58 deaths, 3,096 recoveries, and 92 undergoing treatment in hospitals.

Thailand has dropped to 101 in the list of countries with most Covid-19 cases, while the US tops the list with 3.7 million, followed by Brazil 2 million and India 1 million.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, the CCSA spokesperson, also mentioned that 607 Thai nationals will return home on Saturday while 510 will return on Sunday.

Of the 607 returnees on Saturday, 171 were coming from Austria, 156 from Netherlands, 44 from Ethiopia and 236 from the US. Flights on Sunday will bring 246 from Bahrain and 264 from Australia.

As of Friday (July 17), the total number of people in state quarantine since the outbreak was 59,519, of whom 51,122 had already returned home. Total infected persons in state quarantine were 309.

The spokesperson added that sports tournaments and concerts would be held in Rayong in August to promote tourism in the province.

He also clarified that those who visit Rayong from other provinces and return will not be ordered to quarantine themselves.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391536

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-18

I wonder how many flights this represents? Six? More?

Assume they have quarantine facilities for all these people?

And two tests each, so ~ 2,200-ish tests required.

Saturday

1:30 PM    ET618    Addis Ababa (ADD) Ethiopian Airlines    B788 (ET-AOR) Landed 1:34 PM
1:35 PM    LH772    Frankfurt (FRA) Lufthansa    B748 (D-ABYH) Landed 1:39 PM

Sunday

Bahrain flight: 6:05 AM    GF152  Bahrain (BAH) Gulf Air (Retro Livery)    B789 (A9C-FG) Landed 5:51 AM

Quite a few flights arrived - in air - arriving today.

The Australian flight (SYD-BKK) may be operated by Emirates?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

As of Friday (July 17), the total number of people in state quarantine since the outbreak was 59,519

When did they require all Thais returnees in state guarantee?

81,716 Thais returned in May and more in June.

Did some of them bypass the 2 weeks quarantine?

23 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

81,716 Thais returned in May

Can you expand on this figure?

That would represent approximately 300 flights, or about 10 per day. That seems far-fetched.

Edited by mtls2005

39 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

When did they require all Thais returnees in state guarantee?

81,716 Thais returned in May and more in June.

Did some of them bypass the 2 weeks quarantine?

They'd be out of quarantine by now.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bodga said:

none will  have the virus  as  all  will  have  passed the  pre  flight virus  boarding check.......lets see.

Don't think Thai's returning home are required to have the covid test pre flight.

Edited by Don Mega

Just now, Don Mega said:

Don't think Thai's returning home are required for the covid test pre flight.

I see ,  still need  fit to fly cert and how exactly does that say you are free of anything? so Thais dont get it, good now I know why Thailands  doing so  well. A  large  carpet with big  broom.

9 minutes ago, bodga said:

I see ,  still need  fit to fly cert and how exactly does that say you are free of anything? so Thais dont get it, good now I know why Thailands  doing so  well. A  large  carpet with big  broom.

Fit to fly cert is self assesment that is signed by a doctor.

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Interesting to me that seemingly every day they pick up new cases from returnees from all over but little ole Thailand hasn’t had any cases in 2 months. 

Thailand should do widespread local testing, as well as antibody testing and report it. 

What would be the purpose? ICU bed count is what is important imo

In two months that has almost zeroed out. Now focus on the outside contageins, and keep them quarantined. Nothing changes until better treatment or vaccine.????

6 hours ago, bodga said:

none will  have the virus  as  all  will  have  passed the  pre  flight virus  boarding check.......lets see.

Some do have the virus. They're the ones who've just flown in that you see in the daily figures from state quarantine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

What would be the purpose? ICU bed count is what is important imo

In two months that has almost zeroed out. Now focus on the outside contageins, and keep them quarantined. Nothing changes until better treatment or vaccine.????

1) Just to be sure there aren’t asymptomatic cases floating about, and especially in their porous border regions.

2) Widespread antibody testing would tell us how far the virus actually spread through the population and if there was some kind of previous immunity that’s helping Thailand do so well.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Interesting to me that seemingly every day they pick up new cases from returnees from all over but little ole Thailand hasn’t had any cases in 2 months. 

Thailand should do widespread local testing, as well as antibody testing and report it. 

they're not daft, if they tested they know they would find cases and the people would not feel safe and they would lose their status as a covid free country.

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:
14 hours ago, bodga said:

Fit to fly cert is self assesment that is signed by a doctor.

... after being tested -ve for Covid-19.

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So why didn't they return home 3 months ago, what has changed, the borders are stil closed, no incoming inetrnational flights ???

If they're anything like my brother-in-law whose sushi restaurant in Istanbul is doing OK after a dodgy couple of months earlier in the year, maybe they don't see much value in coming back to Thailand and trying to find meaningful employment right now?