Thaksin Looking To Buy Manchester City For 6 Billion Baht

sriracha john

Thaksinisrich.jpg

Billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra (demonstrating his expertise by explaining that he knows a football is round)

Thaksin eyes Man City club

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra plans to buy an English Premiership football club, according to a local newspaper report.

The exiled Thaksin is reportedly ready to pay more than Bt6 billion for a stake in Manchester City.

The purchase is by Thaksin and partners in China and the Middle East, the report said.

Thaksin is on holiday and meeting with friends in the Middle East. This week he will return to China for meetings where the club purchase could be discussed, it added.

Thaksin's legal counsel Noppadon Pattama told The Nation he would discuss the report with his client when he returned to London.

He would neither confirm nor deny the report but said investment in England by Thaksin was possible.

"As soon as [Thaksin] finishes his vacation, I will ask him about it and hold a news conference," Noppadon said.

Thaksin has previously been linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers - an English Football League Championship side. During his time as prime minister, he floated the idea of buying into Liverpool and Fulham.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The history of Thaksin and English football goes back in time:

Thaksin, Thai tycoon turned prime minister, shows interest in buying British soccer team

International Herald Tribune

October 31, 2003

Turning his nose up at standard souvenirs, Thailand's prime minister on Wednesday almost came home from London with a soccer team.

While on vacation with his friend Mohamed al Fayed, the Egyptian-born tycoon, Thaksin Shinawatra discussed buying an English League Premier soccer team. In addition to owning Harrods, a shop said to supply just about any item requested, Fayed owns the London-based soccer team Fulham.

The purchase, if completed, would launch Thaksin into the rarefied category of soccer-team-owning billionaire prime ministers that is currently occupied only by Silvio Berlusconi.

Berlusconi, a media tycoon and the current prime minister of Italy, purchased a prestigious but heavily indebted Italian club, AC Milan, in 1986.

"I think it's interesting," Thaksin said in comments broadcast on Thai television. "I am considering it, but I have not decided yet."

Buying into England's Premier League would cap a remarkable year for the Thai prime minister, a former police colonel who made a fortune selling telecommunications equipment to government agencies.

Last week, Thaksin brought world leaders to Bangkok for the summit meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, where many economists lauded his "Thaksinomics" for putting dynamism back into the Thai economy. Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong of Singapore even suggested that Thaksin could become something of a spokesman for Asian economies.

Thaksin said inspiration for the purchase of Fulham followed a move by the Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich this summer to snap up a rival to Fulham, Chelsea Football Club, for £59.3 million, or $99 million

"I think it is interesting, a Russian buying an English football club," Thaksin said.

Thaksin's economic strategy has in part involved harnessing Thailand's enormous underground economy by legalizing some forms of gambling.

Betting on European soccer, valued at 20 billion baht, or $513 million, during the European championship in 2000 by Thai Farmer's Bank, is one of the fastest growing forms of illegal gambling.

"By regularizing parts of the 'black' economy, Thaksin made a radical change to Thai economic policy," said Pasuk Phongpaichit, author of "Guns, Girls, Gambling and Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy."

"Soccer betting is one thing I think should be legalized and monitored to avoid causing problems among our youth."

With Fulham, Thaksin would be taking over a relatively minor club currently playing well above its historic level.

Although in its third stint in the top English division, Fulham has never won a trophy. The only team in the top division that does not play in its own stadium, and the progress of the club's financial standing under Fayed's ownership is unclear.

Nonetheless, having been expected to struggle to remain in the premiership, Fulham ranks fifth in the top division and is led by the youngest coach in the league's history.

It was while attending the match on Saturday where Fulham defeated Manchester United that Thaksin said he began discussions with Fayed about the soccer team.

"Fulham has a very attractive price compared with its performance this season," Thaksin told reporters in Thailand. "Other soccer clubs are too expensive."

Despite his great personal wealth, Forbes magazine estimated his family's wealth at $1 billion last year, Thaksin said he probably would team up with a group of investors.

Purchasing a team of Fulham's standing that does not have superstars such as the England captain David Beckham makes good business sense, Thaksin said.

"Fulham is a rising star which is not overly expensive," Thaksin said. "We don't have to buy a big club with stars like Beckham."

Among Fulham's star players are Junichi Inamoto from Japan and Louis Saha from France.

As a model for sporting and political impact, Thailand's prime minister might do well to emulate his Italian counterpart.

Berlusconi's ownership of AC Milan made him seem a winner politically as the team turned around to win six Italian league trophies and four European cups, most recently in May.

That connection between politics and sport is even reflected in the name of Berlusconi's party, Forza Italia, taken from the chant of Italian soccer fans.

By late Wednesday, the likelihood of action by Thaksin was fading as Fayed issued a statement on his club's Web site saying that he had no intention of selling.

"This a club I love passionately, and I have no intention of selling it," Fayed said.

"The way Fulham are playing at the moment, I can quite understand an attractive proposition."

Would be good for him politically....

Probobally just another way to get him in the news though.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted unnecessary full quote of three year-old news article.

I bet the players are worried. Working for Thai/Chinese, they'll have to wash their own shirts.

"Soccer betting is one thing I think should be legalized and monitored to avoid causing problems among our youth."
It would cause financial problems for the police. Edited by Neeranam

Toppled Thai PM plans to buy English football club

BANGKOK, Thailand: Toppled Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who earlier made an unsuccessful bid for Liverpool, is planning to buy another English soccer club, according to a Web site close to Thaksin seen Monday.

The site — http://www.hi-thaksin.net — said that the former prime minister was ready to pay more than 6 billion baht (US$185 million; €136 million) for the Manchester City Football Club with partners from China and the Middle East.

Nopadol Pattama, Thaksin's lawyer and de facto spokesman in Thailand, said he had read about the bid on the Web site but had not yet had time to ask Thaksin about it.

Thaksin, one of the country's richest people, was toppled in a bloodless military coup last September following months of mass street protests accusing him of massive corruption and abuse of power. He has since been spending time at his home in London and traveling in Europe and Asia.

In 2004, the then-prime minister made an unsuccessful attempt to buy Liverpool and had also reportedly expressed interest in acquiring other English soccer clubs.

The Web site said that Mohammed al-Fayed, the Egyptian billionaire owner of London's Harrods department store and the Fulham Football Club, was involved in the negotiations on behalf of Thaksin.

The Web site was started by associates of Thaksin and frequently counters criticism against him by the current, military-backed government.

- Associated Press

benditlikebeckham.jpg

Ousted Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra plays soccer in Bangkok, Thailand in this 2004 file photo. Thaksin, the toppled Thai leader, who earlier made an unsuccessful bid for Liverpool, is planning to pay more than 6 billion baht (US$185 million; euro136 million) for the Manchester City Football Club with partners from China and the Middle East, according to a Web site close to Thaksin.

AP Photo

====================

Looks like a youthful Pele' during his prime in that photo.

Edited by sriracha john

benditlikebeckham.jpg

Ousted Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra plays soccer in Bangkok, Thailand in this 2004 file photo. Thaksin, the toppled Thai leader, who earlier made an unsuccessful bid for Liverpool, is planning to pay more than 6 billion baht (US$185 million; euro136 million) for the Manchester City Football Club with partners from China and the Middle East, according to a Web site close to Thaksin.

AP Photo

====================

Looks like a youthful Pele' during his prime in that photo.

I bet he only ever passes the ball to former classmates, the greedy b@stard. :o

Maybe he has found something to do with the 120 suitcases of cash he took out of the country 2 days prior to the coup.

If the thai people won't oblige him legitimately using their money like when he wanted to buy MU in 2003, why not just steal it from the thai people & say its his own money with which he is now buying a footy team with.

Sneaky little barstd....

Soundman.

Maybe he has found something to do with the 120 suitcases of cash he took out of the country 2 days prior to the coup.

If the thai people won't oblige him legitimately using their money like when he wanted to buy MU in 2003, why not just steal it from the thai people & say its his own money with which he is now buying a footy team with.

Sneaky little barstd....

Soundman.

Until proven otherwise it's still his money and can he buy what he likes!

It's up to City, isn't it? I mean would you like people like Mugabe, Kim, Pol Pot or Thaksin to own your club?

Sneaky little barstd....

Soundman.

It's up to City, isn't it? I mean would you like people like Mugabe, Kim, Pol Pot or Thaksin to own your club?

Financial crimes against humanity?? :o

Soundman.

Which Kim

Lil' Kim

Kim Jong Il

Kim Eng

Kim Joong San

I'd be ok with the last two. :-)

Mind you if I was city, I'd be happy with anything, after the recent robbery there.

Police are investigating a robbery an Manchester City's clubrooms over the weekend, where audacious theives stole the entire contents of City's trophy cabinet.

'We are shocked at this vicious crime, and will stop at nothing to apprehend the theives,' said Inspector Black at a press conference for shocked City fans. As the city braces itself for the remainder of the premiership season, fans wonder whether team moral will be affected. Most will wait and hope all contents can be recovered prior to the next match.

Police believe theives may attempt to fence the items from the cabinet; namely a small square of blue carpet, and a 'do not tap on the glass' A4 folded sign. If you have any information, please forward to the club.

Thaksin 'may buy Manchester City'

Reports suggest former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is once again interested in the Premier League, this time considering a buy-out of Manchester City Football City. The Thaksin-friendly website (www.hi-thaksin.net) — reported the deal. Mr Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, refused to comment on the reports. He said Mr Thaksin is on vacation. Hi-Thaksin.net claimed that Mohammed al-Fayed, the Egyptian billionaire owner of London's Harrods department store and the Fulham Football Club, was involved in the negotiations on behalf of Mr Thaksin. Mr Thaksin was interested in purchasing a 30 per cent share in Liverpool in 2004, but has now turned his attention to a 92-million-pound (6 billion baht, $184 million) takeover of City. Meanwhile, controversial midfielder Joey Barton has slammed some of the club's recent big-money signings. He told the Manchester Evening News: "This club and its fans deserve to be at the highest level. But I have to be brutally honest, if I was a fan I wouldn't have paid to watch us at home this season."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=118279

Edited by sriracha john

That would be f*cking hilarious. I'd like to know the visa runners opinion on this :D

It was a lot easier for us visa runners when Thaksin was in.

It's not too easy now with the new Nationalistic mob in power.

Apparently you weren't here when Thaksin was "out" on September 19 and the new regulations went into effect on October 1.

*Does that time line tell you anything about who actually set down the rule changes?* :o

Sounds to me like Herr. Toksin is looking for a way to stay in the UK - oh well, I guess owning Mnachester will get him whatever longterm visa/residency he wants.

Me thinks I'll buy Bangkok Soccer Club!! - think they'll give me Thai citizenship after 5 years??

No question about it - doesn't matter if you're in the East or the West - money talks.

MF

Sneaky little barstd....

Soundman.

... wouldn't make a ###### differance - one's as good as the other

not long ago football in the uk was tarnished with accusations of bungs bribes and so on.

with this in mind, surely some one as honest as thakin will not get involved :o

Well, you now have a guy like Roman Abramovich at Chelsea laundering plundered Russian roubles through the international football transfer market....

Reports: Thaksin buys Manchester City

BANGKOK: Deposed Thai prime minister and football fan Thaksin Shinawatra, who once tried to purchase Liverpool, may be considering buying another English Premier League team, his lawyer hinted yesterday.

Noppadol Pattama would not confirm local press reports that the billionaire Thaksin, in exile in Britain since his September ouster, would try to buy a stake in Manchester City.

But he said Thaksin was considering a stake in an English club.

“He is looking to do some business, and it is possible that he will buy a team because he loves football,” Noppadol said.

“But I cannot confirm or deny it yet. It will be more clear in the next few weeks.”

Local media reported that Thaksin had already bought Manchester City, currently languishing at the bottom of the premiership, for six billion baht (US$184mil) with the help of investors in China and the Middle East.

The papers said that Fulham owner Mohammad Al Fayed, a friend of Thaksin, had also helped with the purchase.

– AFP

surely he'd have to be a legal resident of some nation before such a purchase???

Nope - not so with respect to the UK: the Brits even let the Huns by their most treasured brandname (Rolls Royce), and take a look at the banks.

Across the board it doesn't matter what it is in the UK: it can be owned by foreigners who live overseas, through off-shore structures (and thats exactly what Tokin will do - he'll set himself and his Mid east and Asian shareholders up as owners through an off-shore structure with their names to be seen no-where).

Take a look at the structure of Chelsea - if you pursue the shareholding of Chelseas back through all it's corporate layers, you will find that it is wittled down to 1 share which is owned by Abramovich through an obscure offshore structure.

MF

Which Kim

Lil' Kim

Kim Jong Il

Kim Eng

Kim Joong San

I'd be ok with the last two. :-)

Mind you if I was city, I'd be happy with anything, after the recent robbery there.

Police are investigating a robbery an Manchester City's clubrooms over the weekend, where audacious theives stole the entire contents of City's trophy cabinet.

'We are shocked at this vicious crime, and will stop at nothing to apprehend the theives,' said Inspector Black at a press conference for shocked City fans. As the city braces itself for the remainder of the premiership season, fans wonder whether team moral will be affected. Most will wait and hope all contents can be recovered prior to the next match.

Police believe theives may attempt to fence the items from the cabinet; namely a small square of blue carpet, and a 'do not tap on the glass' A4 folded sign. If you have any information, please forward to the club.

The old ones are the best... I was on City's youth team programme, I was absolutely hopeless, couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, missed an open goal............ Anyway, they offered me a place....