Pattaya: Sign of the times - desperate squatters move into resort's shuttered bars and pubs

webfact

Pattaya: Sign of the times - desperate squatters move into resort's shuttered bars and pubs

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Thai media Manager went to Pattaya and found desperate unemployed people squatting in the city's closed pubs and bars. 

Ten were in one bar area in Soi Bua Khao in central Pattaya - the once thriving red light area is now a shadow of its former self with no tourists to speak of. 

Both men and women are sleeping in the bars by night then by day they seek handouts of food and try to get odd jobs so they can survive. 

563000007605004.jpg

One man said he'd been out of work for 4 months and had nothing - not even the bus fare to go home. 

A bar operator said they were tolerating the squatters as these were desperate times. There were a few drug takers among their number but they were not seeking to have them evicted as the bars were shut down. 

563000007605002.jpg

Manager said that Pattaya was particularly badly hit by the pandemic with many cases of coronavirus - the worst in Chonburi - because of the number of foreigners there. 

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-20

• Sad 14
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Chinese foreigners he meant.

No specific mention in the original article ( as far as I can see) of Chinese

โดยพบว่าชาวต่างชาติจำนวนมากซึ่งอาศัยอยู่ในเมืองพัทยา เป็นทั้งผู้ติดเชื้อและผู้แพร่เชื้อในคราวเดียวกัน

It was found that a large number of foreigners that live in Pattaya where both infected and carriers of the illness ( my translation maybe not correct ? )

• Like 1

I've seen ladies hanging out at closed bars and I think it is because many of her previous customers know her from that bar and she thinks they will come there to look  for her again.  I'm sure she is right.  Also, if you want to find customers you need to me out somewhere so someone has a chance to see you.  Not all the ladies do the online thing and many who do continue to work their online customers as they wait for customers at the closed bars.  It gives her 2 ways to find a customer.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what's a photo of a plastic basket with a few rags in it got to do with the story.

Maybe the only possessions left of a jobless and homeless person ?

===================================================================================

E.L.O   Here is the news. A cure's been found for good old Wuflu lad. Here is the news. Someone left their life behind in a plastic bag.

====================================================================================

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe the only possessions left of a jobless and homeless person ?

===================================================================================

E.L.O   Here is the news. A cure's been found for good old Wuflu lad. Here is the news. Someone left their life behind in a plastic bag.

====================================================================================

well it's certainly a bad situation worldwide .... I hope they find more work soon or save for a bus ticket and head back home.