Pattaya: Sign of the times - desperate squatters move into resort's shuttered bars and pubs

webfact

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

. I hope they find more work soon or save for a bus ticket and head back home.

I hope so, but don't hold your breath untill it happens

most of them can not head back ''home'' as they were

often kicked out of the village long time ago already, families and

neighbours have had enough of all the problems these guys caused because

of their addiction to drugs and alcool, 

It's also why they can't live in a governement shelter, a temple

or to find a decent job.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

More racism. Bangkok and Phuket had way more than Chonburi and the overwhelming majority were not foreigners. Even in Chonburi, the amount of foreigners was a handful, yet here it is made out as if we alone were totally responsible. I remember that when many were calling for the borders to be closed, it was the government that kept them open long enough for the virus to get in.

It is also the same government continuing to make things so difficult for businesses to operate, that so many of these people are still out of work, with no help coming from those in power.

Yes - many bars are still closed although legally they could open (if they fulfilled the requirements!)

However, apart from the expense of adapting to the requirements, what's the point if there are no customers? Hence, the numbers of unemployed, starving people.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

Yes - many bars are still closed although legally they could open (if they fulfilled the requirements!)

However, apart from the expense of adapting to the requirements, what's the point if there are no customers?

What of the one time payment of 15,000 baht what has happened to that. That isnt helping the unemployed?

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Farangs spend money in bars and restaurants owned by local Thai people. Chinese visitors spend money in Chinese Thai owned businesses that's why the latter are welcome the richest Thai are the Chinese Thai.

Absolutely correct.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Manager said that Pattaya was particularly badly hit by the pandemic with many cases of coronavirus - the worst in Chonburi - because of the number of foreigners there. 

A rather distasteful comment but predictable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

most Thais will adapt or already have, there are many other types of work out there that don't rely on selling booze to foreigners..  

it’s not bar just staff, it’s all the way up the supply chain who supply the bars and restaurants who are suffering, it’s just not about alcohol sales. I would have thought the person who owns The Beverage Company who owns Big C and produces Chang Beer would be putting pressure on the government as the lack of tourists must be affecting his sales ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

most Thais will adapt or already have, there are many other types of work out there that don't rely on selling booze to foreigners..  

Am I right in thinking your the Minister for Labour?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

More racism. Bangkok and Phuket had way more than Chonburi and the overwhelming majority were not foreigners. Even in Chonburi, the amount of foreigners was a handful, yet here it is made out as if we alone were totally responsible. I remember that when many were calling for the borders to be closed, it was the government that kept them open long enough for the virus to get in.

It is also the same government continuing to make things so difficult for businesses to operate, that so many of these people are still out of work, with no help coming from those in power.

Agreed.............CDC publishes the statistics & Thais see it on TV daily - misinformation abounds but mainly in the media.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Chinese foreigners he meant.

If that's what he meant why didn't he say so? Why didn't the reporter ask for clarification? Don't lump all foreigners together. Publish figures to show the nationality of foreigners who were infected, against the number Thai returnees who came in before the borders were closed. This sort of slap dash sensationalism reporting smacks of Germany in the 1930s and the rise of Nazism.????????

3 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Farangs spend money in bars and restaurants owned by local Thai people. Chinese visitors spend money in Chinese Thai owned businesses that's why the latter are welcome the richest Thai are the Chinese Thai.

I think farangs own most the bar and western restaurant in Pattaya? Same Patong.

chinese own beer bar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

lol, not another foreigner who thinks the sun will stop shining on Thailand if they stop spending money on hookers and booze, what are you drunk?

Not another I came here for temples,  clean beaches and healthy food brigade.

• Haha 1