Pattaya: Sign of the times - desperate squatters move into resort's shuttered bars and pubs

webfact

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

most Thais will adapt or already have, there are many other types of work out there that don't rely on selling booze to foreigners..  

Arrived home this afternoon, noticed a hoard of people completing the gardening, usually its the man, and his kids, his wife, and mother, actually i said last month that was the last month for them as it was costing 600GBP a year with the exchange rate (same as the pool girl, but she's a neighbour and has some knockers), economising and all... anyway, asked the wife, the wife responded, that she asked him when doing the adjacent property, why there was so many people with him (20+) to which he responded, they're all my friends, they're all out of work... these people were from 20s to 60s age wise.... So the wife looked at it as a moment of doing Buddha's work (charity - forgotten thai word), and said, ok, well when done, you can do ours also. 

Not sure what he's paying them, but on average i'd imagine he picks up 20-30k over the soi every month so i imagine they're going to earn  500+ baht a day, as long as they still have foreigners to service, and from what i've seen, many of those are feeling the pinch.

1 hour ago, Mikeasq60 said:

What of the one time payment of 15,000 baht what has happened to that. That isnt helping the unemployed?

Wasn't it 3 x 5000 payments ?

I know my missus got atleast 2 of them.... well she told me she did anyways and put it towards a new roof on her mums house.

As for helping the unemployed.... those that paid practically zero income tax if any at all ?

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

the richest Thai are the Chinese Thai.

The richest Thai people are Thai.  They don't look Chinese to me.  Take a look at their pictures.  Do they look Chinese to you?

That's like saying that the richest British are German.  Yeah, England was invaded by Germans long ago.

Just like Thailand was invaded by the Chinese Tai or Dai people long ago.

By the way, the largest minority in China today is the Dai people.

Since 94% of Chinese are Han Chinese.... calling Thai people "Chinese" would typically mean Han Chinese.

Thai people are not Han Chinese.

25 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The richest Thai people are Thai.  They don't look Chinese to me.  Take a look at their pictures.  Do they look Chinese to you?

That's like saying that the richest British are German.  Yeah, England was invaded by Germans long ago.

Since 94% of Chinese are Han Chinese.... calling Thai people "Chinese" would typically mean Han Chinese.

But where do you live ? Maybe if you have visited Thailand there are many Chinese temples in Thailand

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Do you think every single person that has ever moved to Thailand has had a positive experience?

Do your assumptions matter?

You sound very angry?

Of course everyone’s experiences can be different. As adults however, controlling outcomes are up to the individual. If you have had a bad experience in Thailand then perhaps you can use that as a positive for future experiences.

My grievance is the use of racism as justification for a bad individual life experience 

40 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I know some extremely rich Thai's, they are part chinese, well claim to be.... ok they aint bill gates rich but spunking 20/30 mill on a car is nothing to them.

They look chinese btw.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

This is about Thailand and not a story about "around the world".

Just stating a comparison that people seem to think that the Thai government has made different decisions relative to the COVID-19. 

14 hours ago, reckless said:

So it’s racism when people say things about us but not when we say nasty things about foreigners 

Is it not different to have it here in TV than to put it in the domestic press?

It is an extreme lack of creativity, assistance and sympathy from the fat cats in the administration, that is contributing to massive unemployment. They just do not care. They are completely out of touch with reality and the masses. 

And it is only going to get worse. Thailand is in for some rough ties ahead. The economic fallout is going to be alot worse than these incompetents claim. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

More racism. Bangkok and Phuket had way more than Chonburi and the overwhelming majority were not foreigners. Even in Chonburi, the amount of foreigners was a handful, yet here it is made out as if we alone were totally responsible. I remember that when many were calling for the borders to be closed, it was the government that kept them open long enough for the virus to get in.

It is also the same government continuing to make things so difficult for businesses to operate, that so many of these people are still out of work, with no help coming from those in power.

Thanks Darkside, as you say, more Racism to add to the burning embers. All the while the Government  Thugs with guns in charge spend billions on private planes.........bloody disgusting......:bah:

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, smedly said:

OMG

The government seems to have a done real number on western tourists with their constant finger pointing and lies, I hope western tourists never set foot here for a long time

Going forward they deserve all they get 

They could be referring to Chinese tourists. 

On 7/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, kiwikeith said:

Correct, the squatters are probably ex staff - caretakers.

Once the bar owners and land lords go broke, the wealthy Chinese will be in like a shot of rice whiskey and turn them into gold shops, money exchanges and hotels with spa facilities. 

Not sure about the gold shops but do you mean the same as the money exchanges and hotels that are closed and likely to remain so.? 

On 7/20/2020 at 6:56 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

The usual wording is Thai Chinese and the general consensus has it that they are the wealthiest group in Thailand. 

My memory ain't what it was, when did the Germans invade England.? Cheeky gits. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, JusticeGB said:

Farangs spend money in bars and restaurants owned by local Thai people. Chinese visitors spend money in Chinese Thai owned businesses that's why the latter are welcome the richest Thai are the Chinese Thai.

Soooo  TRUE  .... 

Mainland Chinese MASS TOURISM - benefit a very small segment of population in certain popular destinations .

The majority of business catering to others ( Westerners ) lying idle and will face bankruptcy in the coming months . Rich landlords couldn't care less , their  Real Estate

still hold VALUE , even at lower level of valuation.

Edited by kg1947
spacing of sentences

9 hours ago, kg1947 said:

Soooo  TRUE  .... 

Mainland Chinese MASS TOURISM - benefit a very small segment of population in certain popular destinations .

The majority of business catering to others ( Westerners ) lying idle and will face bankruptcy in the coming months . Rich landlords couldn't care less , their  Real Estate

still hold VALUE , even at lower level of valuation.

Unless Pattaya ends up like Sihanoukville, how do you figure a city full of vacant commercial properties holds its commercial property value?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:14 AM, darksidedog said:

More racism. Bangkok and Phuket had way more than Chonburi and the overwhelming majority were not foreigners. Even in Chonburi, the amount of foreigners was a handful, yet here it is made out as if we alone were totally responsible. I remember that when many were calling for the borders to be closed, it was the government that kept them open long enough for the virus to get in.

It is also the same government continuing to make things so difficult for businesses to operate, that so many of these people are still out of work, with no help coming from those in power.

Calm down! Chinese are foreigners as well, but ...

On 7/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, from the home of CC said:

most Thais will adapt or already have, there are many other types of work out there that don't rely on selling booze to foreigners..  

Please show me the "many other types of work"!
For your information: People with bachelor degrees are offered 300b per day in new jobs @ Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, ukrules said:

Yes but he didn't say it did he, and he never will. We all know that.

Foreigners are foreigners. He/they didn't mention any nationality.
Your problem is called paranoia!

On 7/20/2020 at 7:55 PM, John CS said:

the Govt created this because of their lockdown strategy, they had options as other countries have chosen...

Pattaya is a major tourist area.  Once the international boarders were closed, why not close down hospitality to protect elderly expats?  Not to mention, the bad publicity in the media of hundreds, if not thousands, of westerners dying in Thailand from the virus, should that have happened.  

When the boarders were closed and the flights were cancelled, that was the death rattle for businesses here anyway, so why do go full safety?  

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya is a major tourist area.  Once the international boarders were closed, why not close down hospitality to protect elderly expats?  Not to mention, the bad publicity in the media of hundreds, if not thousands, of westerners dying in Thailand from the virus, should that have happened.  

When the boarders were closed and the flights were cancelled, that was the death rattle for businesses here anyway, so why do go full safety?  

Thailand’s strategy to contain Covid was to close the borders, the majority of other countries didn’t rightly or wrongly.

The problem now is Thailand don’t have a strategy to move on and manage Covid, it’s lock people up for 14 days, they will have to rethink their strategy before the country sinks into oblivion. The generals are sitting smugly congratulationing themselves how good they have done being number 1 in the world but at what cost to the economy ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Thailand’s strategy to contain Covid was to close the borders, the majority of other countries didn’t rightly or wrongly.

The problem now is Thailand don’t have a strategy to move on and manage Covid, it’s lock people up for 14 days, they will have to rethink their strategy before the country sinks into oblivion. The generals are sitting smugly congratulationing themselves how good they have done being number 1 in the world but at what cost to the economy ?

As I have said before, Thailand could open up EVERYTHING tomorrow, but not a lot would change in hurry. 

Tourists still can't get here.  Tourists still can't afford to holiday.  Tourists will not travel uninsured for Covid.  Tourists will not do 14 days quarantine upon their return to their home country, possibly at their own expense.

Thailand's tourism industry woes goes further than the decisions made by the government here.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:39 AM, webfact said:

Manager said that Pattaya was particularly badly hit by the pandemic with many cases of coronavirus - the worst in Chonburi - because of the number of foreigners there. 

And now they want us "foreigners" to spend our own money which we worked hard for and saved to help them out of the S##t. Sorry Thailand your constant farang bashing will not get one extra Satang out of me unless it benefits me me me me first

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

As I have said before, Thailand could open up EVERYTHING tomorrow, but not a lot would change in hurry. 

I suspect if borders were opened and people allowed in that Thailand would join the ranks of countries having widespread infections very quickly.