Pattaya: Sign of the times - desperate squatters move into resort's shuttered bars and pubs

webfact

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect if borders were opened and people allowed in that Thailand would join the ranks of countries having widespread infections very quickly.

Once again, how would they get here?  Could they still afford to come here?  Do they have any holiday time left to take?  Would they travel uninsured for Covid?  Are they prepared to do 2 weeks quarantine back in their home country, after their holiday here, possibly at their own expense?

These are the things the Thai government need to consider when judging if it's worth even opening boarders up at all, as the risk may be too great for such a small amount of tourists and revenue.  

• Like 2

A vacuum is abhorrent to nature, it will be filled one way or another, reminds me of Cybepunk 2077's Pacifica District. Hey, we may get an even more interesting Pattaya out of this.

Edited by nausea

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Once again, how would they get here?  Could they still afford to come here?  Do they have any holiday time left to take?  Would they travel uninsured for Covid?  Are they prepared to do 2 weeks quarantine back in their home country, after their holiday here, possibly at their own expense?

These are the things the Thai government need to consider when judging if it's worth even opening boarders up at all, as the risk may be too great for such a small amount of tourists and revenue.  

I have 4 of my friends usualy coming in Thailand for holiday at least 2 or 3 times a year

since ages, they were ready to comeback asap (They have the holiday time and the money for it)

but the 14 days quarantine is a no go for all of them. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Or, it could end up a ghetto.  

It appears that currently this is what the government are trying to achieve not just Pattaya, they have tried for years to rid Thailand of its reputation of being sleazy but Covid is doing it for them, but at what expense ?

19 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I have 4 of my friends usualy coming in Thailand for holiday at least 2 or 3 times a year

since ages, they were ready to comeback asap (They have the holiday time and the money for it)

but the 14 days quarantine is a no go for all of them. 

That illustrates my point that the Thai government can open boarders, but other governments have policies that are impeding international tourism, and understandably so.  

The Thai government could remove all restrictions tomorrow, but for the vast majority of tourists, their own country have policies that mean they can not travel here.  Add to that, issues with flights and travel insurance, and there will simply be no tourists here for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It appears that currently this is what the government are trying to achieve not just Pattaya, they have tried for years to rid Thailand of its reputation of being sleazy but Covid is doing it for them, but at what expense ?

Don't be fooled.  They could stop all the "in your face" prostitution here, tomorrow, if they wanted.  There would be no going to Court or appeals etc.  Soi 6, for example, shut down by police order.  Same with gogo's.  They hold the ultimate power.  They don't do it because it's so lucrative, and they know it.  

What the virus is doing is closing a high percentage of businesses, particularly those catering for westerners, and the buildings where those businesses were operating from will be vacant for quite some time.  This will give the appearance of a city in economic ruin.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

This will give the appearance of a city in economic ruin.

It will be not only an appearance

without the international tourism Pattaya

will be economically dead in the next 6 months

(1 year without the main source of income is enough

to kill all the economic net in the entire city)

it's like a domino effect, every business closed and not replaced

it's another business closed soon or later because of the lack of customer

the first impacted are at the moment the most visible, bars, hotels, restaurants

but all of their suppliers will be also impacted, and i don't even talk about

the haemorrhage of the number of people living in the city (Which means less

customers for all the businesses, services and so on) because there are no jobs

available a lot of them are back in their villages

Thai people from the others province don't come in Pattaya for the pleasure 

they come for work and earn money. If they can't work, they don't stay here

where they pay more than in their village for everything (Rent, food and so on)

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

the first impacted are at the moment the most visible, bars, hotels, restaurants

Well put it’s a pity the politicians don’t understand what the outcome will be, with no customers the banks, shopping malls you name it will be closing as no customers. People associate Pattaya with the Bar and Entertainment business but it supports the majority of businesses in Pattaya.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I agree.

Pattaya could very well become another Costa del Sol.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Well put it’s a pity the politicians don’t understand what the outcome will be, with no customers the banks, shopping malls you name it will be closing as no customers. People associate Pattaya with the Bar and Entertainment business but it supports the majority of businesses in Pattaya.

Why do you keep blaming the Thai government?

I have stated my opinion where if the Thai government opened up boarders tomorrow, nothing much would change here.  If you disagree, I am happy to hear your argument.  

Do you really think if boarders were opened up here tomorrow, Pattaya would go back to normal, or even close to normal?  

Edited by Leaver

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why do you keep blaming the Thai government?

I have stated my opinion where if the Thai government opened up boarders tomorrow, nothing much would change here.  If you disagree, I am happy to hear your argument.  

Do you really think if boarders were opened up here tomorrow Pattaya, would go back to normal, or even close to normal?  

I am blaming the decline in Tourism on the Thai government as they don’t appear to know how to manage Covid. They closed everything down now they have no idea how to resume back to some normality. If they had went down the road of trying to manage knowing there would spikes/deaths then Thailand wouldn’t be the situation they are now not knowing what to do apart from trying grow domestic tourism.

i agree Tourist won’t come flooding back, the Government have done the damage and it will takes if it ever does for Tourism to take of in the numbers of the previous years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I am blaming the decline in Tourism on the Thai government as they don’t appear to know how to manage Covid. They closed everything down now they have no idea how to resume back to some normality. If they had went down the road of trying to manage knowing there would spikes/deaths then Thailand wouldn’t be the situation they are now not knowing what to do apart from trying grow domestic tourism.

i agree Tourist won’t come flooding back, the Government have done the damage and it will takes if it ever does for Tourism to take of in the numbers of the previous years.

What about the governments of the countries where the tourists come from?  Eg. UK, USA, Europe, Australia.  

There are no fights. No travel insurance.  Quarantine upon return etc.  All of which stop them from coming here.  How do you blame the Thai government for that?  

41 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What about the governments of the countries where the tourists come from?  Eg. UK, USA, Europe, Australia.  

There are no fights. No travel insurance.  Quarantine upon return etc.  All of which stop them from coming here.  How do you blame the Thai government for that?  

Of course there are no flights the Thai Government have put in place a state of emergency, all the airports are closed apart from arriving repatriation flights and departures for people who wish to leave

Travel Insurance is available for U.K. citizens as Thailand as it’s not on the Foreign Office list of places not to travel to, the Post Ffice to name one will provide Travel Insurance with cover for Covid19

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

Once again, how would they get here?

Buses, coaches, horse and cart, I also include land borders. My perspective is infection and illegal border crossing, which is occuring, is a likely source. Add legal crossing to that too.

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Don't be fooled.  They could stop all the "in your face" prostitution here, tomorrow, if they wanted.  There would be no going to Court or appeals etc.  Soi 6, for example, shut down by police order.  Same with gogo's.  They hold the ultimate power.  They don't do it because it's so lucrative, and they know it.  

What the virus is doing is closing a high percentage of businesses, particularly those catering for westerners, and the buildings where those businesses were operating from will be vacant for quite some time.  This will give the appearance of a city in economic ruin.  

This is a cut off your nose to spite your face situation.What will happen to all the workers who relied on Pattaya's accommodation and nightlife scene to earn money to send back to their families? If they go back to their villages what awaits them their?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

This is a cut off your nose to spite your face situation.What will happen to all the workers who relied on Pattaya's accommodation and nightlife scene to earn money to send back to their families? If they go back to their villages what awaits them their?

The houses they buildt with Farang money for years, and many of them have a bankaccount.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:28 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Of course there are no flights the Thai Government have put in place a state of emergency, all the airports are closed apart from arriving repatriation flights and departures for people who wish to leave

Travel Insurance is available for U.K. citizens as Thailand as it’s not on the Foreign Office list of places not to travel to, the Post Ffice to name one will provide Travel Insurance with cover for Covid19

The Thai government could open the boarders, and the airports, does that guarantee airlines will fly to Thailand, from all around the world, profitably?  It's not just about the the boarders, it's also about airlines, and flights.

As for the travel insurance, are they going to pay the policy holder for months if their flight is cancelled and boarders closed during their holiday and they are stranded?  It's not just about Covid.