Morbid Topic

Gonzo the Face

Interesting question was asked the other day in a phone conversation with a party in the USA.  Has the suicide rate gone up in Chiang Mai.  I had no idea for an answer, but given some of the dire circumstances with the variables and with the virus situation, has anyone seen or heard anything like a report on this?

It will likely be difficult to get an honest and accurate answer. 

Case in point,  a few years back there was an almost daily report of farangs jumping from high rise condos, hotels and even the high floors of Suvarnabhumi airport...Causing quite a stir in the international community.

Then, miraculously,  reports of farang deaths disappeared...

Good job Thailand!

39 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've never heard the term 'cracker' before. What's the origin of that I wonder?

P.S. Whoever said 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' was obviously never smacked in the b*lls with a concise Oxford English Dictionary.

"Cracker 

Derogatory term for lower income Caucasians in the South. Also know as po' white trash. Usually make their living as sharecroppers.

Comes from grinding or "cracking" corn to use for cornmeal rather than buying cornmeal or flour at a store."

Does anyone still use a tangible dictionary these days? I tossed mine out years ago along with the phone-book....  ????
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I don't know about suicides, but there's a lot of people dying

on the roads, must be up to 8,000 by now.

regards worgeordie

Yes, and it won't get any better until they do something about the awful driving habits in this country.

I used to find it strange when I would follow a police vehicle doing about 100 kph down the highway, a car/truck passes us doing at least 120 kph plus, and the police vehicle basically ignores it. Now I realize it's the norm.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

"Cracker 

Derogatory term for lower income Caucasians in the South. Also know as po' white trash. Usually make their living as sharecroppers.

Comes from grinding or "cracking" corn to use for cornmeal rather than buying cornmeal or flour at a store."

Does anyone still use a tangible dictionary these days? I tossed mine out years ago along with the phone-book....  ????

Thanks.

I take it 'the south' is referring to the southern USA.

Being a Brit, that's why I didn't know the term was derogatory.

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks.

I take it 'the south' is referring to the southern USA.

Being a Brit, that's why I didn't know the term was derogatory.

Yes, it comes from the USA. The African-Americans used to call us honkies but now it seems it's crackers...

No problem for me as the saying goes, 'Call me anything except late for dinner'.....  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes, it comes from the USA. The African-Americans used to call us honkies but now it seems it's crackers...

No problem for me as the saying goes, 'Call me anything except late for dinner'.....  ????

My mother's family are Virginians.

As a child growing up in the 1950's I remember the term "cracker" being used for poor whites.

It also had a slightly more benevolent meaning in signifying a local native of the place. Like a North Carolina "tar-heel".

Later it became a racial slur against white people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

"Cracker 

Jimmy can crack corn, but frankly I just dont care....som naam naa

Hi Gonzo, I believe the percentage of walking dead among the local expat population has remained constant, with new recruits making up for those exiting at any given time.

~o:37;

On 7/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, dingdongrb said:

"

Ditched the dictionary a long time ago, but I still occasionally browse my very tatty, very old copy of Roget's Thesaurus.  I find it very relaxing (and it smells like a book.  I miss that.  Love the kindle but I miss the smell).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Konini said:

Ditched the dictionary a long time ago, but I still occasionally browse my very tatty, very old copy of Roget's Thesaurus.  I find it very relaxing (and it smells like a book.  I miss that.  Love the kindle but I miss the smell).

Maybe some time soon someone will invent something called "Smellory" .  You put it onto your computer and a blank screen comes up.  You push go and a smell comes out, then you have maybe a minute ( time will be adjustable to allow for older slower memories) to come up with the answer to what the smell is.    ...... got to go now, as I am working on something I think I will call Smellory

There was a time when all young 20/30 year old Farrang died of 'heart attack'.  It was so much easier to explain to the family.....