When do you guys plan to apply for visa?

Just now, arfandy said:

I plan to apply for Permit To Visit Spouse since i am married to Thai wife and have 3 Thai kids. 

It's an extension to visit Thai wife. 60 days.

During that 60 days you could apply for annual extension based on marriage.

Obviously has some requirements such as money in bank or income method. Both 2 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I plan to apply for Permit To Visit Spouse since i am married to Thai wife and have 3 Thai kids. 

I am still confused, because there is no such thing as a "Permit To Visit Spouse". The nearest thing to it I can think of is a non-O visa, applied for at a Thai embassy or consulate, to travel to Thailand for the purpose of visiting your Thai wife in Thailand.

The non-O visa can also be applied for at the local immigration office if you entered Thailand visa-exempt or with a tourist visa. In this case, the visa application is for the purpose of subsequently applying for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai Wife in Thailand.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I apply for a 60 day extension on 26 Aug ....... that would give me 4 days ........ 555.

Nah, that's BS, Marin's immigration cheated him and he accepted it.

I think the answer is to delay as long as possible, so immigration would look stupid if they tried to scam you.

It is now 77 days since my permission to stay expired, a backdated 60 day extension wouldn't be much use.

If what is being said is right, I plan to go before the end of August, leaving it any later is of little benefit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is now 77 days since my permission to stay expired, a backdated 60 day extension wouldn't be much use.

I cannot recall any report of the extension being backdated.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

someone added a bit of confusion by posting in a thread where 60 day extensions being discussed
that their 1 year extension they done yesterday was back dated from May 4th
and was urging people to go get their extensions done asap????‍♂️

5 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

I agree @innosiem If they are overcrowded......if your lucky you'll get a ticket; if you're unlucky you'll just be told to come back tomorrow.....and the next and the next.

Anyone who tries to create chaos through suggestions outlined in this thread will be drawing the short straw for sure; drawing retribution as mentioned in # 7 # 8 # 20.....or similar. ????

Still, it'll be a great experience for you all.....TIT

i don't think immigration will be overcrowded, as simply not enough people here now, and everyone will pick different dates
just as some plan to wait til September, other have already expressed they would go earlier to avoid crowds
and the eager beavers will be there from July 31st onwards????‍♂️
as you say, you either get given a ticket number or you don't and come back tomorrow
hence why i would go mid-sept just to give extra days if needed
and now only if they officially announce the 26th Sept is the very last date and there will be no further extensions
if they just extend the amnesty and nothing more, than i may just wait for the next announcement before making any decision????‍♂️

Edited by innosiem

23 hours ago, arfandy said:

That is what i am afraid of. I purposely "waste" a week of free visa amnesty to avoid the flock, but eventually lesser queues on the last day of grace period. What an irony..

That's like my local hospital. Many dozens show up at the crack of dawn to 'book their place' and then wait for hours for the doctors to arrive at 10, and then they might still wait until 12 as there are so many in the queue. So maybe a six hour wait.

I, having a brain, roll up after lunch when the masses are gone and am seen in 10 minutes. It's called common sense, which is totally absent in Thailand. I'm grateful to them though, as if they all thought of doing that I'd be there for ages myself. Same as when a driver crashed his car opposite my house and in the process lost his phone. About a dozen people were searching around in the almost dark for it, and not one thought of ringing the number to locate it.

Sorry if this comes out as me claiming to be smarter than the locals, but I'm just writing the facts.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, marin said:

I would get in and get your yearly extension taken care of. Got mine and the 90 day report done today in Prathum Thani. Easy, less than 45 minutes for both.  The extension of stay is back dated to the original expiry date. In my case May 4th.  Why wait as something could always screw up? You do get the full 90 days. Mine will be Oct 17 by doing it today.

Thanks for your report.

This is actually the very first one I come across on the Forum where it is confirmed that the IO (in your case Prathum Thani) will back-date the 1-year extension of stay from the day that the previous 1-year extension expired.

23 hours ago, arfandy said:

Are you saying that anyone who will apply for visa during grace period, their visa will start on the day of last expiration (before or during visa amnesty) and NOT the day it is applied?

@marins application for a 1-year extension of stay was a continuation of his previous 1-year extension of stay.  He probably did not apply for it when his permission to stay was due to expire because of covid.  He applied now and his IO back-dated the application from the day the permission to stay expired from that previous 1-year extension of stay.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, anchadian said:

The grace period is not official as yet.

Official news expected at the cabinet meeting tomorrow till this coming Friday

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)

Extension of visa amnesty, extension of emergency decree

Published 

1 hour ago

on 

21-07-2020

By

The Thaiger

In a big day of important announcements, the Cabinet has approved an extension to the emergency decree as well as an extension to the visa amnesty for foreigners.

The extension of the visa amnesty will now run until September 26. It now allows foreigners to stay in Thailand without renewing their visa as long as their visa did not expire before March 26. The amnesty also extends to foreigners with current visas so they don’t have to do the regular 90 day reporting.

Immigration officials estimate there are between 250,000 – 300,000 foreigners in the country who are here as a result of the visa amnesty. At this stage there has been no further details outlining any additional paperwork or fees for the automatic extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Already done it. Why wait? It's just gonna get more and more crowded at the immigration offices, and the immigration officers are gonna get grumpier and grumpier. Doing it now when so few people are doing it will likely lead to a quicker experience next year as well, since most people do it the same time every year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Apply for a double extension at once? How will you accomplish that? 

@arfandy

If you are on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, with permission to stay already expired and wanting to apply for the Non Imm O Visa in country you need to do that with 15 days (or 23 days at some IOs) left on your permission to stay.  So you cannot apply for it anymore when being on the current Amnesty extension (31 July).  But when applying first for the 30-days extension that the VE or TV entry entitles you to (if you haven't used it yet), you will get a permission to stay beyond 31 July and will then be able to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  Doing it same day (first the 30-day extension, then the 90-day Non Imm O Visa) is the convenient way to do that if you don't want to make 2 visits to your IO with 1-2 weeks in-between.

Note: With the prolongation of the Amnesty period till 26 September it is obviously not necessary anymore to do this AT THE MOMENT, and if you want to squeeze out the maximum (in the hope that land-borders will open in mean-time) you can do the above in the last days of September. 

Edited by Peter Denis

10 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Start getting your extension before September 26, be it retirement, marriage or any other type. I have  a feeling that after Sept 26, Immigration will become tough and will only extend case by case, overstayers will be fined and possibly blacklisted. 

If you say the same thing often enough you might be right.

But I think another extension after this one, until land borders open.

Whenever the neighbouring countries let some of their citizens return from Thailand about 60% test positive.

So they ain't that keen to open the borders.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, ubonjoe said:

Submitted 60 day extension today at Sri Ratcha today and it wasn't backdated.

They just refused to consider it as it was more than 60 days since permission to stay expired.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

They just refused to consider it as it was more than 60 days since permission to stay expired.

Thanks for the report.

Two questions:

1 - Did that 60-day permission to stay start from 27 September (till 24 November)?

> According to the info-graphic all extensions of stay provided during the Amnesty would start on that 27 September date.

2 - Did Sri Ratcha IO confirm that they would handle your application for the 1-year extension of stay end November when the 60-day extension of stay is due to expire?

> That would give you ample time to meet the two-month seasoning of your finances as required when applying for that 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report.

Two questions:

1 - Did that 60-day permission to stay start from 27 September (till 24 November)?

> According to the info-graphic all extensions of stay provided during the Amnesty would start on that 27 September date.

2 - Did Sri Ratcha IO confirm that they would handle your application for the 1-year extension of stay end November when the 60-day extension of stay is due to expire?

> That would give you ample time to meet the two-month seasoning of your finances as required when applying for that 1-year extension of stay.

Wrong on both counts.

1 - 60 day extensions would be backdated to previous permission to stay and can only be done if days remaining. The only pre dated extensions from 27th Sept would be medical or letter from embassy, I pointed out that the announcement was extremely misleading and many were confused, but she just shrugged.

2 - Immigration said I have until 26th Sept to come up with something else, only option being 1 year extension. The problem being I cannot renew my driving licence which expires tomorrow, DLT have said I must have a valid stamp.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

18 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Wrong on both counts.

1 - 60 day extensions would be backdated to previous permission to stay and can only be done if days remaining. The only pre dated extensions from 27th Sept would be medical or letter from embassy, I pointed out that the announcement was extremely misleading and many were confused, but she just shrugged.

2 - Immigration said I have until 26th Sept to come up with something else, only option being 1 year extension. The problem being I cannot renew my driving licence which expires tomorrow, DLT have said I must have a valid stamp.

So it seems that SriRatcha (your local IO) does NOT follow the procedure as addressed on the InfoGraphic Announcement [see attached below0, in which IO explicitly states that any extensions applied for during the Amnesty period (1 August till 26 September) will start on 27 September.  This in order to avoid overcrowding of IOs by people applying only last minute, as the 60-days extension of stay normally starts on day of application. 

There are also some reports of IOs confirming that they will do exactly that.

See also the response of UJ attached below.

If your SriRatcha office is adamant in not wanting to provide you the 60-day extension of stay (because back-dating it makes no sense), it's probably time for your to consider a temporary administrative relocation to a province with a less rogue IO office.

New infographic.jpg

24 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So it seems that SriRatcha (your local IO) does NOT follow the procedure as addressed on the InfoGraphic Announcement [see attached below0, in which IO explicitly states that any extensions applied for during the Amnesty period (1 August till 26 September) will start on 27 September.  This in order to avoid overcrowding of IOs by people applying only last minute, as the 60-days extension of stay normally starts on day of application. 

There are also some reports of IOs confirming that they will do exactly that.

See also the response of UJ attached below.

If your SriRatcha office is adamant in not wanting to provide you the 60-day extension of stay (because back-dating it makes no sense), it's probably time for your to consider a temporary administrative relocation to a province with a less rogue IO office.

New infographic.jpg

I posted what i was told, accept it for what it is.

Trying to justify your interpretation is not going to change anything.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I posted what i was told, accept it for what it is.

Trying to justify your interpretation is not going to change anything.

I am not trying to 'justify my interpretation', but simply providing options based on reports from other IOs, e.g. SiSaKet IO, that confirmed that an application for the 60-day extension of stay will be provided with 27 Sept as start-date (as the InfoGraphic mentions).

Good to know the SriRatcha stance that they will not do this (it confirms the rogue status of that office).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I am not trying to 'justify my interpretation', but simply providing options based on reports from other IOs, e.g. SiSaKet IO, that confirmed that an application for the 60-day extension of stay will be provided with 27 Sept as start-date (as the InfoGraphic mentions).

Good to know the SriRatcha stance that they will not do this (it confirms the rogue status of that office).

It is only a few days since the new announcement came into effect so there cannot have been many reports from other IOs, only time will tell on that. I seem to remember that some weeks back that someone reported about 60 day extension being backdated so it is not the first time it has been brought up.

I should also point out that income transfers were only introduced in Jan 2019, about 15 months before the lockdown. In that short period how many members do you think have gone from a 12 month extension to a ME Non O and back to a 12 month extension, very few I would suggest, in fact I could very well be the first. Anyone on a non O before the lockdown would have probably let the visa run it's course and I doubt that many would have converted during the amnesty.

It has always been the case that converting from a visa to extension would be seen as the first time in respect of 90 day reporting but that may not be the same for income. Although I didn't like the answer, having had a bank account in Thailand for over 20 years I have to agree with immigration, there is little justification for exemption from the 12 month transfer requirement.

So many conflicting opinions based on varying experiences it's no wonder people are not sure what to do for the best.

For myself , I have a valid Non O based on marriage issued at Savannakhet that will expire on September 15th.

However my last border bounce 90 days entry expired on June the 6th. Obviously , a back dated 60 day extension would be utterly useless to me.

I was planning to visit local immigration around September 10th to apply for either a 60 day extension to visit wife ...or .... the full 1 year extension based on marriage. ( by then I will have three 40,000 transfers

from the UK into my Bangkok Bank account ) . Not yet decided which of the 2 options will be better.

I don't think the land borders are going to be open by September 26th. Even if they are the old border bouncing method will be much changed with Covid free certificates and insurance likely to be a requirement.  Therefore , to keep hanging on , hoping that by doing so things will normalize and you will be able to exit , get a new visa , and simply re enter is IMO ,  a forlorn hope.

With that in mind , going for the 60 day extension in order to buy more time seems like delaying the inevitable , namely, applying for the 1 year extension.

Of course.....if the Covid situation deteriorates rather than improves then everything could be up in the air again so have to see what happens in the next 6 weeks.

7 hours ago, trucking said:

I don't think the land borders are going to be open by September 26th. Even if they are the old border bouncing method will be much changed with Covid free certificates and insurance likely to be a requirement.  Therefore , to keep hanging on , hoping that by doing so things will normalize and you will be able to exit , get a new visa , and simply re enter is IMO ,  a forlorn hope.

With that in mind , going for the 60 day extension in order to buy more time seems like delaying the inevitable , namely, applying for the 1 year extension.

I would agree with that.

I had to do something because my driving licence expires tomorrow. I went to DLT last week but they didn't want to know, said come back when you have a valid stamp.

I tried the 60 day as I thought that would be an immediate fix but following the kickback from immigration I will go back on Monday for a 12 month extension. The problem now is I do not hold out much hope on getting the licence renewed while under consideration.