Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I would just like to salute the posters here who have made it back to Thailand and are in, or about to be in, ASQ accommodation.

I was due in the UK for a holiday earlier this year without the wife but I decided to cancel, otherwise I would be in your shoes. To be honest I have no idea if I would go through all this bureaucracy or not.

I sincerely hope your Thai families appreciate the effort, expense and anxiety you have put in to be back with them.

+ 1

Exactly my feelings also, I cancelled a U.K. visit mid March and like yourself I don’t think I would have the patience to deal with all these hoops.

A great thread with some excellent information for those still stuck outside.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, vision said:

This was from Solaria hotel on Sukhumvit.   I didn't realize when I booked but this hotel seems to cater to Japanese so the menu tends to favor Japanese style foods for the most part but the pic I posted was of thier  "American" beakfast.

Also for the gentelman in the wheelchair this hotel does offer disability rooms and wheechair assitance but I cannot speak to what that means.

Re wheelchair, thanks for the info. 

Edited by scorecard
13 hours ago, PatrickC said:

In Australia at least your COE only gets approved after you have paid for the flight, and you can only pay for the flight if the embassy allocates you a seat

Lots of comments in this thread from folks who have completed the 'process, the trip, the quarantine.

I'm still trying to find a reasonable insurance policy, hopefully short term (1 or 2 months).

Some other posters have shared insurance company names but on checking I've mostly found it's an annual policy only and/or the cost is enormous.  In my own case I have the Australian DVA Gold health card which covers 'all conditions' however I've called the DVA and the response is that they are still formulating a policy re Covid 19 and it will very likely not state a US$100,000 (or converted to another currency) minimum.  Having the DVA gold card is of course why I don't to take a full annual commercial policy. 

I called the Health ministry in Bkk and asked if I have a letter from DVA (which card holders can easily download) stating covers 'all conditions' would that be acceptable? The officer didn't know and said she would check and call back, she did revert an hour later 'no, cannot be accepted'. 

Hence, still looking for a policy. One other point that confuses me, re insurance, is comments that it has to be an insurance company on the list published by the Thai Health Ministry. But I can't find such list. Can anybody please give clear answers on this point.

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

....Hence, still looking for a policy. One other point that confuses me, re insurance, is comments that it has to be an insurance company on the list published by the Thai Health Ministry. But I can't find such list. Can anybody please give clear answers on this point.

Thanks. 

Not correct as regards entrance requirements.

. That refers to people needing to meet O-A visa requirement, a totally different matter and applies only to people on O-A visa or extension of stay for retirement based on an original O-A visa.

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Lots of comments in this thread from folks who have completed the 'process, the trip, the quarantine.

I'm still trying to find a reasonable insurance policy, hopefully short term (1 or 2 months).

Some other posters have shared insurance company names but on checking I've mostly found it's an annual policy only and/or the cost is enormous.  In my own case I have the Australian DVA Gold health card which covers 'all conditions' however I've called the DVA and the response is that they are still formulating a policy re Covid 19 and it will very likely not state a US$100,000 (or converted to another currency) minimum.  Having the DVA gold card is of course why I don't to take a full annual commercial policy. 

I called the Health ministry in Bkk and asked if I have a letter from DVA (which card holders can easily download) stating covers 'all conditions' would that be acceptable? The officer didn't know and said she would check and call back, she did revert an hour later 'no, cannot be accepted'. 

Hence, still looking for a policy. One other point that confuses me, re insurance, is comments that it has to be an insurance company on the list published by the Thai Health Ministry. But I can't find such list. Can anybody please give clear answers on this point.

Thanks. 

I used a company called Insubuy: https://www.insubuy.com/

Whoever you get you will need to ensure they will give you a letter that will explicitly say that it covers Covid and the amount of 100K USD.

The below list was offered to me by an agent (Bernard) at the LA Consulate:

Health Insurance Policy Requirement (Statement must show the following)

1. Must provide coverage of at least $100,000US

2. Must indicate coverage includes COVID-19 treatment(s)

3. Must indicate policy provides coverage in Thailand

4. Must be valid for the duration of your stay

-----------------------------------------------

The following is not an endorsement or recommendation for any particular company. The information only serves as a sample of companies which were used by other applicants. The information in parentheses pertains to whether or not the companies were able to provide a statement showing acceptable proof of coverage meeting the requirements above.

Allianz Care (statement did not specify coverage amount, COVID-19 coverage, coverage in Thailand, and duration of coverage)

Trawick International (statement met requirements)

Seven Corners (statement met requirements)

Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company Ltd. (Thai company) (statement met requirements but the company might not issue the policy for the duration of your stay as required)

Pacific Cross Health Insurance PCL (Thai company)

GeoBlue Travel Insurance (statement met requirements)

TripMate – World Nomads (statement did not specify COVID-19 coverage or confirm coverage in Thailand)

AIG Travel Guard (policy does not state COVID-19 coverage)

AETNA (applicants report it is difficult to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Kaiser (applicants report it is difficult if to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Edited July 10 by vision

Edited by vision
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone else who has received a response from the Thai Embassy in Australia - which e-mail address was successful?

I emailed the Thai Embassy in Canberra, with no reply. They don't answer the phone either. 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:28 PM, jasonr3255 said:

, my wife’s friend who is a Thai national has just returned from the UK and arrived in Thailand on the 20th July

Why was she in the UK?  Why did she need to return?  Questions you did not answer. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. 

My understanding is that regular travel insurance should provide the Covid-19 cover you need. Some airlines provide such insurance, and may be amenable to confirming the Covid-19 cover.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Not correct as regards entrance requirements.

. That refers to people needing to meet O-A visa requirement, a totally different matter and applies only to people on O-A visa or extension of stay for retirement based on an original O-A visa.

Thanks Sheryl, good news.

1 hour ago, vision said:

I used a company called Insubuy: https://www.insubuy.com/

Whoever you get you will need to ensure they will give you a letter that will explicitly say that it covers Covid and the amount of 100K USD.

The below list was offered to me by an agent (Bernard) at the LA Consulate:

Health Insurance Policy Requirement (Statement must show the following)

1. Must provide coverage of at least $100,000US

2. Must indicate coverage includes COVID-19 treatment(s)

3. Must indicate policy provides coverage in Thailand

4. Must be valid for the duration of your stay

-----------------------------------------------

The following is not an endorsement or recommendation for any particular company. The information only serves as a sample of companies which were used by other applicants. The information in parentheses pertains to whether or not the companies were able to provide a statement showing acceptable proof of coverage meeting the requirements above.

Allianz Care (statement did not specify coverage amount, COVID-19 coverage, coverage in Thailand, and duration of coverage)

Trawick International (statement met requirements)

Seven Corners (statement met requirements)

Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company Ltd. (Thai company) (statement met requirements but the company might not issue the policy for the duration of your stay as required)

Pacific Cross Health Insurance PCL (Thai company)

GeoBlue Travel Insurance (statement met requirements)

TripMate – World Nomads (statement did not specify COVID-19 coverage or confirm coverage in Thailand)

AIG Travel Guard (policy does not state COVID-19 coverage)

AETNA (applicants report it is difficult to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Kaiser (applicants report it is difficult if to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Edited July 10 by vision

Thank you, list much appreciated.

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. I use a wheelchair because I can't walk long distances, brings on very severe lower back pain, swaying/instability and shaking. But at home, in a room etc., I can get around by holding/touching the furniture. I can walk slowly holding the seat backs etc., from aircraft door to occupying aircraft seat.   

I will get around the quarantine room without help. After check-in at the ASQ hotel I'll ask them to buy a cheap plastic stool so I can sit down in the shower to take a bath.

I book transport which delivers me to the airport (e.g. Sydney) and takes me to the check-in line where the airline takes my wheelchair to check it in and swap it for an airline owned chair.  (Not the point here but AirAsia are excellent at this type of service.)

Best of luck. If it puts your mind at ease the ASQ hotel staff have been incredibly helpful, I’m sure they would help out in providing you with any necessary items, a stool etc and anything needed.

Once you have your return lined up it would be well worth e-mailing your ASQ hotel and notifying them of this and any other requirements. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. 

Contact Pacific Prime [[email protected]]

This lady provided me with a list of Insurance Companies which provide cover for Covid-19

Obviously the key thing is to ensure you can get the Certificate of Cover (which states Covid-19 cover up to or over US$100,000).

Many of the companies on the list which will be provided to you will accept monthly payment options, once you are in, you can cancel. 

Caveat: I’m not sure how easy it is to set up the monthly payments, it may be a direct-debit type set up. 

Securing cover with some of these companies can take a week or more. 

April My Heath also covers a 6month called April Short Term (the link below is UK based, there may be an AU based link which can be provided to you).

https://quote-uk.april-international.com/shortterm/get-quote/basic-details.aspx?src=427

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Best of luck. If it puts your mind at ease the ASQ hotel staff have been incredibly helpful, I’m sure they would help out in providing you with any necessary items, a stool etc and anything needed.

Once you have your return lined up it would be well worth e-mailing your ASQ hotel and notifying them of this and any other requirements. 

Thanks for your kindness. 

I'm hoping there won't be any issue when I add 'wheelchair' to the flight booking. Many airlines have several 'options' re wheelchairs.

In my case it's the option 'passenger can't walk long distances', also meaning passenger can walk from boarding gate doors or from the aircraft door to the seat.

Should be OK.

For many airlines this sets-up:

- At check-in the staff take the passengers chair and replace it with a chair owned by the airline and provide an attendant to get you to the aircraft door, and the airlines chair goes back into 'stock' at that airport..

On arrival an attendant is waiting at the aircraft door with a local chair owned by the airline, and take the passenger through passport etc and then to suitcase and wheelchair pick up from the carousel. Or ask the passenger to wait while they claim the passengers' chair from the carousel and bring it quickly to the a/c door. 

Then attendant unpacks the passengers chair and passenger swaps to own chair. Airline chair parked somewhere in the airport. Attendant now takes the passenger to a taxi or to meet friends or whatever. 

Many airlines are very good with this and ensure they take care very well and make the passenger feel respected.

But some airlines (attendants actually) make it obvious the passenger is a nuisance and ready to dump you as quickly as possible. 

Best I've experienced is AirAsia, Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumphur then KL to Sydney. On arrival in Sydney a very pleasant young lady came on board as soon as the aircraft door opened, she had my seat number and sat with me immediately and said

let's please wait for a call that your chair is unpacked and at the a/c door. Sure enough within less than 10 minutes she got the call and a smiley young man appeared at my seat and politely asked if I needed help to walk to the chair.

They both accompanied me though Sydney passport then to pick up my suitcase, meanwhile they had asked me what transport I had organized etc and waited till I was in the car and my suitcase and chair in the boot.

10/10.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I emailed the Thai Embassy in Canberra, with no reply. They don't answer the phone either. 

[email protected]

WRT calling, keeping trying again and again and again. Only way to get through. Persistency, and a lot of it.

• Like 2