Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of people are hoping that the Emergency Decree will be lifted by October, of course, we have no idea and it may not be.

But, If so, commercial passenger flights will be permitted to land and the Certificate of Entry and necessity to liaise with a local Embassy / Consulate will not be a requirement.

At the moment anything that far ahead is too far ahead. 

I would assume that more will be known much closer to the time, i.e. beginning of September. 

A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival).

The UAE has reopened already, The Emirates announcement gives us an idea of how things may pan out for travel to Thailand.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/flying-to-and-from-dubai/tourists-travelling-to-dubai/

Your paragraph: " A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival)." You didn't mention quarantine, are you meaning that if commercial flights resume in September (or whatever month) then quarantine will be dropped? 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Your paragraph: " A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival)." You didn't mention quarantine, are you meaning that if commercial flights resume in September (or whatever month) then quarantine will be dropped? 

I cannot see the Thai authorities dropping quarantine requirements during 2020. Possibly not even until a vaccine (with certificate) is available.

They are very proud of their 'no domestic cases' and will sacrifice international tourism to protect it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for the insurance info.

Yes I am right now near Sydney, and yes can you please share the Australian Ambassadors e.mail address. But when you say intervene can you please share what your meaning (intervene on what aspect)?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Intervene as in he can contact the Thai embassy in Canberra on your behalf. They communicate between Bangkok and Canberra.

[email protected]dfat.gov.au

Address your email to Allan Mckinnon. I believe you can assume his direct email, based on other DFAT email addresses, as [email protected] but not sure. 

Explain your case and ask whether anyone can help communicate with the Thai embassy in Canberra and perhaps also - I think you use a wheelchair if I remember the threads properly (apologies if I do not), what the assistance options might be once you are in BKK.

If you have a genuinely compassionate case it might help. The Thai embassy in Canberra is prioritising cases based on urgency and compassion.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of people are hoping that the Emergency Decree will be lifted by October, of course, we have no idea and it may not be.

But, If so, commercial passenger flights will be permitted to land and the Certificate of Entry and necessity to liaise with a local Embassy / Consulate will not be a requirement.

At the moment anything that far ahead is too far ahead. 

I would assume that more will be known much closer to the time, i.e. beginning of September. 

A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival).

The UAE has reopened already, The Emirates announcement gives us an idea of how things may pan out for travel to Thailand.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/flying-to-and-from-dubai/tourists-travelling-to-dubai/

There might be increased flight frequencies later this year, yes, but no let up of the entry requirements. That is just not going to happen.

They might find a way to cater to these sorts of package tourists who are happy staying in a resort for 2 weeks and not leaving. English tourists who want to escape the winter into the sun etc.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for the insurance info.

Yes I am right now near Sydney, and yes can you please share the Australian Ambassadors e.mail address. But when you say intervene can you please share what your meaning (intervene on what aspect)?

Thanks, much appreciated.

If you are in Australia the flights are currently once every 2 weeks on a Sunday with Emirates. I am on this next one - 2nd August. I guess after that it will be 16 August and so on. If you want to try and get on 16 August you need to try and get a realistic idea if your case is compassionate enough or urgent enough to get on, and then start to arrange the ASQ etc. I suspect though 30 August or even mid-September might be more realistic given the waiting list. I got on only thanks to daily calls to the embassy, plus my company calling them. Lots of pressure and persistence. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

If you are in Australia the flights are currently once every 2 weeks on a Sunday with Emirates. I am on this next one - 2nd August. I guess after that it will be 16 August and so on. If you want to try and get on 16 August you need to try and get a realistic idea if your case is compassionate enough or urgent enough to get on, and then start to arrange the ASQ etc. I suspect though 30 August or even mid-September might be more realistic given the waiting list. I got on only thanks to daily calls to the embassy, plus my company calling them. Lots of pressure and persistence. 

Thanks for all of that, in fact I need to take it a bit slowly to get all the documents in place (at 75 yo, with war related PTSD and panic issues I know well to do things slowly).

But I do need need to enter Thailand by 17 Nov 2020 - the expiry date of my current PR re-entry stamp. I'm aware of the 12 months extension of this but another poster has mentioned that Thai Imm. is insisting PR holders must come home as quickly as possible under the repat. arrangements etc.

Would you please share if you got an economy seat on Emirates and the cost of the ticket.

One more, are you aware whether the Emirates trip starts in Bkk and the return flight Sydney to Bkk. is the repat, flight Sydney to Bkk. In other words the start point of the whole trip is Bkk?

Thanks again, great sharing and I do appreciate it.

WOULD YOU PLEASE CHECK YOUR PM MESSAGES, THANKS.

Edited by scorecard
3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for all of that, in fact I can wait a while and it will take me time to get all the documents in place.

But I do need need to enter Thailand by 17 Nov 2020 - the expiry date of my current PR re-entry stamp. I'm aware of the 12 months extension of this but another poster has mentioned that Thai Imm. is insisting PR holders must come home as quickly as possible under the repat. arrangements etc.

Would you please share if you got an economy seat on Emirates and the cost of the ticket.

One more, are you aware whether the Emirates trip starts in Bkk and the return flight Sydney to Bkk. is the repat, flight Sydney to Bkk. In other words the start point of the whole trip is Bkk?

Thanks again, great sharing and I do appreciate it.

I was offered economy but took business - wanted maximum "social distance". I've been a while without working so can't afford to get sick and have my work start delayed. But to answer the question I think you were really asking it is possible as a non-Thai to get an economy seat.

Economy is $1060, Business $3040.

If you have until November you should be fine I think. There is a backlog of people right now but I think it should clear up. Your problem is that the schedule of the repatriation flights might change so difficult to plan an exact date and thus book an ASQ hotel. But you can work out which insurer you will go with, check the Ts&Cs, work out how much this will all cost.

No idea where the Emirates plane comes from - whether it comes direct from Dubai or from BKK. I think Dubai as on the Australian ambassador's facebook page for Australians in Thailand there are no direct flights Bangkok to Sydney which people can use. Only options are connections. So I guess one of their flights which come into Sydney from Dubai bringing Australians home who are connecting from other places then becomes this repatriation flight to BKK, and I guess it after that becomes a flight taking people out of Bangkok to Dubai and onwards. But just a guess - I actually have no idea. 

10 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

I was offered economy but took business - wanted maximum "social distance". I've been a while without working so can't afford to get sick and have my work start delayed. But to answer the question I think you were really asking it is possible as a non-Thai to get an economy seat.

Economy is $1060, Business $3040.

If you have until November you should be fine I think. There is a backlog of people right now but I think it should clear up. Your problem is that the schedule of the repatriation flights might change so difficult to plan an exact date and thus book an ASQ hotel. But you can work out which insurer you will go with, check the Ts&Cs, work out how much this will all cost.

No idea where the Emirates plane comes from - whether it comes direct from Dubai or from BKK. I think Dubai as on the Australian ambassador's facebook page for Australians in Thailand there are no direct flights Bangkok to Sydney which people can use. Only options are connections. So I guess one of their flights which come into Sydney from Dubai bringing Australians home who are connecting from other places then becomes this repatriation flight to BKK, and I guess it after that becomes a flight taking people out of Bangkok to Dubai and onwards. But just a guess - I actually have no idea. 

Thanks for all of that.

I did check the Emirates website, seems no commercial flights Bkk to Sydney (at the moment).

I have another possibility, I'm holding a large credit with AirAsia, perhaps by late Nov/December they will be doing some international flights. I'm quite happy with AA service, sure it's longer, stopover in KL but overall they are very service minded and quickly responsive on flights etc., and especially to folks using wheelchairs etc.

There have been reports the AA is near failure, I'm inclined to not believe that, the guy who is the main driver/starter of AA Dr. Tony Fernandez is a smart businessman/good strategist/ innovative/forward thinker, he's not going to let AA fail.  I've met him several times in the past, pleasant guy, obviously very capable. At the meetings I attended he was asked many times to comment and he shared excellent / innovative ideas and showed he's very capable.

We wait and see. 

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

Agree with this post. No way whatsoever that current requirements will be dropped this year. Wishful thinking. Just not going to happen. Any vaccine will not be rolled out until well into 2021.

In some way countries which had the waves sweep over them are better off - they now can rebuild. Those who kept it (largely) out now have a long fight to keep keeping it out, which, yes, I suspect will run well into 2021.

Even if a vaccine is developed this year, which friends of mine with this expertise think will happen, to manufacture the doses required globally, and then in Thailand's case to get access to the doses against intense competition, and enough to cover a large population, will not be quick or easy.

All good points.

I might have a plus in regard to getting the vaccine shot. I hold a lifetime Australian DVA Gold health card. Earlier I asked my doctor here in Sydney about getting the flu vaccine (my doctor seems to be a DVA 'preferred practitioner'). This was before the flu vaccinations started.

His response was that DVA doctors have priority to receive the serum and veterans over 75 have first priority for the jab. Perhaps it might be the same for any Covid 19 vaccine?

5 hours ago, thai006 said:

guys my departure will be in october  do you think i need to contact embassy for the coe at this time or i can wait until september 

thank you 

You need a repatriation flight issued before the COE will be issued but you can begin the process of putting all the paperwork together now. It takes some doing.

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for all of that.

I did check the Emirates website, seems no commercial flights Bkk to Sydney (at the moment).

I have another possibility, I'm holding a large credit with AirAsia, perhaps by late Nov/December they will be doing some international flights. I'm quite happy with AA service, sure it's longer, stopover in KL but overall they are very service minded and quickly responsive on flights etc., and especially to folks using wheelchairs etc.

There have been reports the AA is near failure, I'm inclined to not believe that, the guy who is the main driver/starter of AA Dr. Tony Fernandez is a smart businessman/good strategist/ innovative/forward thinker, he's not going to let AA fail.  I've met him several times in the past, pleasant guy, obviously very capable. At the meetings I attended he was asked many times to comment and he shared excellent / innovative ideas and showed he's very capable.

We wait and see. 

These flights are not advertised on their site. Once the embassy authorises you onto the flight you call Emirates direct and pay. They'll have your name on a list.

It is difficult to see AirAsia being allowed to run repatriation flights from Australia any time soon, or ever. The embassy in Canberra uses only Emirates and Thai Airways.

If that is what you are waiting for you might risk missing your deadline to get back to Thai. I would not risk it personally. 

In fact I'd try and get in sooner. If a "second wave" does hit Thailand, further lockdowns and border closures are possible. I'd advise to get in while you can. 

14 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

These flights are not advertised on their site. Once the embassy authorises you onto the flight you call Emirates direct and pay. They'll have your name on a list.

It is difficult to see AirAsia being allowed to run repatriation flights from Australia any time soon, or ever. The embassy in Canberra uses only Emirates and Thai Airways.

If that is what you are waiting for you might risk missing your deadline to get back to Thai. I would not risk it personally. 

In fact I'd try and get in sooner. If a "second wave" does hit Thailand, further lockdowns and border closures are possible. I'd advise to get in while you can. 

Sorry, I'm causing confusion.

I agree I need to us the authorized repat. flights (Emirates or Thai) to fly Sydney to Bangkok. And I agree the Australian/any government is very unlikely to use budget airlines for repat. flights.

But then returning to Sydney is another story, and I'm hoping this could be on AirAsia, mostly because I want to use part of the large credit I have with AA. They are showing flights from about September and they seem to be taking bookings.

But way to early for me, still lots of decisions to be made about all dates.  And of course hoping there might be changes/relaxations of the surrounding requirements. But of course it's all wait and see. 

3 hours ago, PatrickC said:

They might find a way to cater to these sorts of package tourists who are happy staying in a resort for 2 weeks and not leaving. English tourists who want to escape the winter into the sun etc.

Ha!   That seems like a money maker.   Isolated resorts or even a whole small Island with strict controls (3 phased entry for example) on who gets on/off might be a good alternative for those with sufficeient funds going stir crazy in thier home county while not introducing no (or very little) risk to mainland inhabitants.

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Your paragraph:

"Flights: the Vancouver consulate has been booking repatriation flights with ANA. The consulate advised me to book flights with ANA on particular flight numbers for any future date that was available. I managed to find the exact flights for a date in August for $670 one way CAD$. I then provided my booking number to the Consulate and they made all the needed changes. With no change fees."

Can you please expand what your meaning about booking flights direct with ANA. I'm guessing your meaning that you booked directly with ANA and you used this booking to replce a booking on the actual repat. flight. Would you please share. (I'm realizing to do this there must be commercial flights operating.) 

In the beginning the application for a COE required a confirmed airline ticket. I booked a ticket with China Airlines for a future date in August i believe. This i included with my application for a COE.

Once i obtained the COE the Royal Thai Consulate instructed me to book a one way flight with ANA airlines on a particular set of flight numbers. The date did not matter as long as they were active flights on the ANA website. So i booked a one way ticket for August 23rd. This ticket was the least expensive in their system. After getting a confirmation from ANA with e-ticket i forwarded this to the Thai consulate in Vancouver and they looked after changing the ticket to the same date as the repatriation flight. This they did internally with ANA. No change fees were involved ANA just made the changes. This was the same process for both Thai Nationals and groups such as myself. One certainly could book either economy, premium economy, or business. The confirmed reservations were just rebooked by the Thai Consulate for the approved date.

As a side note. China Airlines provided me a full refund on my original booking within three days if my cancellation.

• Like 1