Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

8 hours ago, Willy333 said:

No offense but your experience sounds a lot better than others. Arranging the flight in particular sounds like it was a breeze and way cheaper then other countries.

Thanks for the report, very detailed, now I’m thinking of applying in Canada as well.

I do believe the process out of Canada was easier than some. Perhaps because there are not as many Thai Nationals looking to return from there. The Thai Embassy in Ottawa coordinated 3 return flights in July. 2 from Toronto and one from Vancouver each with between 50 & 80 seats booked. These flights were meant to meet up with a particular flight from HND in Tokyo that would arrive in Bkk at around 3:30pm. The HND-BKK flight had other Thai Nationals that began their journey other than Canada. So i do believe they are coordinating returns from multiple jurisdictions.

Not to belittle the situation by any means but yes i do believe the process from Canada & booking early in July helped my situation. Also having done the process a month earlier for my wife and daughter allowed me to meet many of the staff members from the consulate when they departed. 

Sometimes is easier to deal with people when you can connect a face with a name.

• Like 1
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, vision said:

Ha!   That seems like a money maker.   Isolated resorts or even a whole small Island with strict controls (3 phased entry for example) on who gets on/off might be a good alternative for those with sufficeient funds going stir crazy in thier home county while not introducing no (or very little) risk to mainland inhabitants.

Precisely this

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I cannot see the Thai authorities dropping quarantine requirements during 2020. Possibly not even until a vaccine (with certificate) is available.

They are very proud of their 'no domestic cases' and will sacrifice international tourism to protect it.

Agree - 100%

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sorry, I'm causing confusion.

I agree I need to us the authorized repat. flights (Emirates or Thai) to fly Sydney to Bangkok. And I agree the Australian/any government is very unlikely to use budget airlines for repat. flights.

But then returning to Sydney is another story, and I'm hoping this could be on AirAsia, mostly because I want to use part of the large credit I have with AA. They are showing flights from about September and they seem to be taking bookings.

But way to early for me, still lots of decisions to be made about all dates.  And of course hoping there might be changes/relaxations of the surrounding requirements. But of course it's all wait and see. 

If there are more outbreaks in Thailand the requirements could be tightened up, not loosened.

Just saying.... 

Best get in while you can

• Like 1
5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:
8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Your paragraph: " A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival)." You didn't mention quarantine, are you meaning that if commercial flights resume in September (or whatever month) then quarantine will be dropped? 

I cannot see the Thai authorities dropping quarantine requirements during 2020. Possibly not even until a vaccine (with certificate) is available.

They are very proud of their 'no domestic cases' and will sacrifice international tourism to protect it.

To answer scorecard - If Thailand wants tourism, they have to do away with the Quarantine or may ask tourists to remain at their resort and arrivals to self quarantine at home - Covid-19 checks before departure and on arrival would identify most cases, of course, cases of imported Covid-19 would still slip through the gaps - thats the risk they take, if the government is willing to take such a risk. 

As hotandsticky mentioned, they may not do away with the quarantine requirement throughout 2020. 

No one knows.

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

If there are more outbreaks in Thailand the requirements could be tightened up, not loosened.

Just saying.... 

Best get in while you can

This was my concern.

At the same time the Embassy e-mailed me that my CoE would be approved and offered me a flight (19th or 26th July) the news was breaking about the Egyptian Military breaking self Quarantine in Rayong Hotel and testing positive for Covid-19. At the same time news was also breaking of the Daughter of a Sudanese Diplomat undergoing home Quarantine and also testing positive for Covid-19. 

I was concerned for a knee-jerk reaction by the government banning all incoming travel, including repatriation flights - fortunately this did not happen but it cemented my decision to jump at the first opportunity to return.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To answer scorecard - If Thailand wants tourism, they have to do away with the Quarantine or may ask tourists to remain at their resort and arrivals to self quarantine at home - Covid-19 checks before departure and on arrival would identify most cases, of course, cases of imported Covid-19 would still slip through the gaps - thats the risk they take, if the government is willing to take such a risk. 

As hotandsticky mentioned, they may not do away with the quarantine requirement throughout 2020. 

No one knows.

All good points and whether it's a good move or not it won't surprise me if quarantine goes so that they can strongly wind up tourism. 

So I wonder if we will see some 'innovative' rework of tests e.g. passengers must go to departure airport earlier for full test with fast reports and reports are e.mailed (or whatever) to the arrival airport for action if needed, plus full test on arrival (using new tests with 1 hour report, and there's another new test claiming to have quality results in 20 minutes) and passengers held until test reports are available and revealed. 

And perhaps someone creative can design a never dreamed of before real alternative to 14 days quarantine.

As above, I'm suspecting there is enormous and powerful pressure on the government to get tourism restarted and quick. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was my concern.

At the same time the Embassy e-mailed me that my CoE would be approved and offered me a flight (19th or 26th July) the news was breaking about the Egyptian Military breaking self Quarantine in Rayong Hotel and testing positive for Covid-19. At the same time news was also breaking of the Daughter of a Sudanese Diplomat undergoing home Quarantine and also testing positive for Covid-19. 

I was concerned for a knee-jerk reaction by the government banning all incoming travel, including repatriation flights - fortunately this did not happen but it cemented my decision to jump at the first opportunity to return.

Yep - I'm coming this next Sunday. Not waiting

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 10:13 PM, vision said:

I used a company called Insubuy: https://www.insubuy.com/

Whoever you get you will need to ensure they will give you a letter that will explicitly say that it covers Covid and the amount of 100K USD.

The below list was offered to me by an agent (Bernard) at the LA Consulate:

Health Insurance Policy Requirement (Statement must show the following)

1. Must provide coverage of at least $100,000US

2. Must indicate coverage includes COVID-19 treatment(s)

3. Must indicate policy provides coverage in Thailand

4. Must be valid for the duration of your stay

-----------------------------------------------

The following is not an endorsement or recommendation for any particular company. The information only serves as a sample of companies which were used by other applicants. The information in parentheses pertains to whether or not the companies were able to provide a statement showing acceptable proof of coverage meeting the requirements above.

Allianz Care (statement did not specify coverage amount, COVID-19 coverage, coverage in Thailand, and duration of coverage)

Trawick International (statement met requirements)

Seven Corners (statement met requirements)

Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company Ltd. (Thai company) (statement met requirements but the company might not issue the policy for the duration of your stay as required)

Pacific Cross Health Insurance PCL (Thai company)

GeoBlue Travel Insurance (statement met requirements)

TripMate – World Nomads (statement did not specify COVID-19 coverage or confirm coverage in Thailand)

AIG Travel Guard (policy does not state COVID-19 coverage)

AETNA (applicants report it is difficult to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Kaiser (applicants report it is difficult if to obtain a policy statement that satisfies the COE requirements)

Edited July 10 by vision

A warning:

I spoke to Trawick International directly.  I explained that I was moving to Thailand and needed insurance to cover the 90 days that my Non-Imm O visa would be valid.  When they heard that I was unlikely to return (to USA) they refused to sell me coverage.  Their most suitable policy in terms of coverage and duration is for travellers.  I would not qualify for that policy if I'm moving.  I would suggest that anyone needing a COVID policy does not tell them you won't be returning home.

• Thanks 1
On 7/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, scorecard said:

Your paragraph: " A total and complete guess is that regular passenger flights are permitted to fly into Thailand again by September and Passengers are required to have a Covid-19 Test (negative) and Insurance covering Covid-19 (which will need to be checked at check-in and immigration upon arrival)." You didn't mention quarantine, are you meaning that if commercial flights resume in September (or whatever month) then quarantine will be dropped? 

If your waiting for the cheap low cost, low restrictions window to be flung open you may (just my total and complete guess but based on watching trends in Thailand for 18 years) be in for a long wait.

We have seen the 4 classes of foreigners who are allowed in under a long ruleset.   VIP card holders will no doubt get next crack, but my expectation is that as long as there is demand to fill the ASQ hotels this component will not go away until after new year.  If anything, I would expect to see more hotels added at the higher end of the ASQ spectrum as that makes most financial sense and would be more appropriate for VIP card holders, medical tourists, and the shopping/spa set.  

It's not my ideal situation but I think those in charge are going to want to ensure that the "quality" tourists get in before anyone else and that is measured by how much you spend.  Keep in mind, if they can keep the infection rates as low as they have so far that alone would be reason to charge a premium never mind the fact that the islands and beaches may be able to recover from exploitation to some degree.

• Like 1

I wonder if something like this will happen in LOS:

Three Vietnamese visitors escaped from a government-run coronavirus quarantine facility in Gimpo just outside of Seoul on Monday. 

According to police, the three appear to have climbed down an emergency fire rope.

I have read the ASQ facilities in Korea are nice??  

15 minutes ago, jasonr3255 said:

Anybody under quarantine hit day 5/6/7 and allowed to leave the room to use other hotel facilities ? Names of those hotels would be helpful

thanks

I took the test day 3 and was told i'll be allowed to access the top floor terrace day 6, which is tomorrow. Not sure about gym and pool. Hotel Solaria Ni<deleted>etsu. 

47 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I took the test day 3 and was told i'll be allowed to access the top floor terrace day 6, which is tomorrow. Not sure about gym and pool. Hotel Solaria Ni<deleted>etsu. 

Thanks for the reply 👍