Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

The reason is fairly well explained in https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/01/824903684/the-science-behind-a-14-day-quarantine-after-possible-covid-19-exposure. Since that early assessment, while extremely rare outliers exceeding 14 days for the disease developing have been reported, it is still widely accepted that people are over 99% safe after 14 days if no symptoms have developed. For a little greater protection, some countries insist on 14 nights with at least two half days on either end.

Yet everyone  still  has  to wear a  mask  after an alleged 50 days with no infections in Thailand

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, bodga said:

Yet everyone  still  has  to wear a  mask  after an alleged 50 days with no infections in Thailand

Indeed. It suggests

• the authorities are not as confident of their own data as they say; and/or
  • they are aware that some new arrivals are quietly exempted from the strict border controls most must go through, and they half expect outbreaks as a result. 
32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because more than 99% of people in Thailand have not been tested for Covid-19... No one really knows whether or not the Virus has been eradicated within Thailand.

True, there is no certainty on this. There is a decent chance elimination has been achieved (for the moment) because by now we might expect hospitalizations from community transmission if the virus was out there. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
On 7/22/2020 at 12:28 PM, jasonr3255 said:

Just thought I would add some info to this topic, my wife’s friend who is a Thai national has just returned from the UK and arrived in Thailand on the 20th July and has been placed under state quarantine in a hotel in Pattaya. She has been on the phone to her in tears at the treatment she has been put under from arrival in BKK to the transportation to state quarantine.

She explained to her that she has been locked in her room with poor A/C and is not allowed to open the window for ventilation despite having a few other medical issues.
     Contact is only at meal times and basic request are all but denied. While this might be an isolated case it is worth bearing in mind that those “spouses” of a Thai nationals or even a Thai nationals as in this case, that are thinking of returning to Thailand and are currently suffering any other underlying medical conditions may reconsider as two weeks locked inside a room with possibly poor ventilation might be a very unpleasant experience.

This doesn't surprise me. I can imagine those who can afford ASQ, which is foreigners and some well to do Thais, are being treated much better.

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Indeed. It suggests

• they are aware that some new arrivals are quietly exempted from the strict border controls most must go through, and they half expect outbreaks as a result. 

No, it's more about control and keeping up the fear mongering as much as possible.

The mask requirement will be eased off in due course. Probably after the state of emergency ends, though it could come to end first.

However, looking at all the various countries where mask mandates have recently been imposed or intensified in the past few days/weeks (USA, Canada, Melbourne/Aus, Iran, Malaysia, Switzerland, France, UK and others), I suspect masks won't come off until at least September. Some of these countries have had far higher cases in earlier days yet didn't impose mask mandates back then.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because more than 99% of people in Thailand have not been tested for Covid-19... No one really knows whether or not the Virus has been eradicated within Thailand.

Which is good because mass testing is a violation of privacy and civil liberties. It's also costly and impractical.

No mass testing ever occurred for SARS, swine flu, the common flu, measles or any other so-called infectious disease, so why should this one be any different?

I think Thailand has done more than enough and people constantly harping on about lack of testing are starting to get on my nerves. Let's be happy that Thailand hasn't taken this further than it already has.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There were no online forms for me to fill out. Everything regarding the CoE application process involved e-mailing the Thai Embassy UK who clarified questions, provided a list of requirements, clarified questions about that.

I e-mailed in the required documents.

This, of course, may have changed - I don’t know. 

Scorecard... E-mail your local Thai Embassy and ask them for the list of requirements for the CoE.

You may need to try a couple of different Embassy e-mails (I didn’t get a reply from one address, but did another after on this forum someone posted the address from which they got a response).

Anyone else who has received a response from the Thai Embassy in Australia - which e-mail address was successful?

I believe the ’Seat availability’ is purely based on the demand of Thai’s willing to return. From the UK at least, Thai’s were clearly given a priority to fill up the Economy seats on the repatriation flights. 

The Thai Embassy UK gave me a choice of two repatriation flights - both were business class as Economy Class was full. If there is availability on a later Economy Class flight, I imagine you may be offered a seat. 

This is obviously down to the individual mission officer at the Embassy and how they have chosen to allocate seats or offer priority to Thai’s etc, or if all Thai applicants have not already taken up seats and there are spare Economy seats going etc etc... 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Indeed. It suggests

Plus, perhaps they're concerned about a flash second wave, and given what's happened in Melbourne and Sydney in the last 2 weeks probably a good policy.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread already!

Two things I want to ask:

1. I understand that with the first wave of documents you have to send to the Thai embassy you need also a booking confirmation of an ASQ - hotel. It looks like you have to pay the hotel already at this time (see #87). But at this point you don't know when the Thai embassy offers a seat in a repatriation flight. So how the hotel reserve a room for 14 days, when they don't know on which day you arrive?

2. Is it possible to kindly decline a flight with business class and just waiting until the Thai embassy offers an economy flight? Or do you have to start the procedure again?

Thanks so much for some hints.

26 minutes ago, xn47140 said:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread already!

Two things I want to ask:

1. I understand that with the first wave of documents you have to send to the Thai embassy you need also a booking confirmation of an ASQ - hotel. It looks like you have to pay the hotel already at this time (see #87). But at this point you don't know when the Thai embassy offers a seat in a repatriation flight. So how the hotel reserve a room for 14 days, when they don't know on which day you arrive?

2. Is it possible to kindly decline a flight with business class and just waiting until the Thai embassy offers an economy flight? Or do you have to start the procedure again?

Thanks so much for some hints.

Regarding the ASQ Bookings: 

I booked the Siam Mandarina ASQ hotel at first.

I paid a 50% deposit. The hotel offered a full refund if I cancelled more than one week ahead of the booking. The hotel also allowed for change of dates 3 days prior to booking (although a date change is difficult if full !) - I cancelled this hotel 1 week ahead (as I had not secured travel) - but used the booking confirmation for the CoE application process. 

Once notified that I had my CoE approved I was asked to confirm dates / re-book my ASQ hotel. 

I booked at TwoThree, again with a 50% deposit which was refundable if I cancelled less than 7 days in advance (I am currently at this ASQ hotel). 

Note: Everyone seems to be implying that the ASQ hotels are no longer offering any refund at all on ASQ bookings, which is extremely harsh. Either that or people are getting emotional and ‘projecting their frustration’. 

Contact the ASQ hotels directly to find out what their specific policy is. I found that having someone in Thailand (Wife) to call the hotels was helpful. I also found that the Hotels responded to FaceBook Messenger promptly. 

---------

Regarding the flights: 

Once you have been notified that your CoE will be approved, the Embassy notifies you of available repatriation flights. I was provided with two options a week apart (both business class) - I was unaware of any other repatriation flights so took the first option. 

If someone doesn’t wish to take a business class flight and prefers wait for a seat to become available in economy, I’m sure that is acceptable. You have been approved, I doubt that anyone would have to go through the process again. The issue here of course, is that it could result in much further delays in getting back to Thailand. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note: Everyone seems to be implying that the ASQ hotels are no longer offering any refund at all on ASQ bookings, which is extremely harsh.

i don't agree with that. I don't think it's harsh at all but rather a necessary next step to eliminate the mess they have allowed to develop.

I welcome this development and hope other hotels follow the same policy and make it impossible to book an ASQ room unless eligible to do so.

The current unmanageable situation with the ASQ room bookings has developed in large part thanks to the ones ability to book those rooms well in advance, with full knowledge of an easy refund, while securing no seat on the repatriation flight, holding a bogus airline ticket or not even being approved to enter the country!!!

While the ones who've actually been approved, secured a repatriation flight booking are being left out,  struggling to find any available rooms under 60K for the dates of their arrival.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 2