Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

2 hours ago, SVC Porter said:

I absolutely agree with you 100% and if I were stranded from family I would probably pay the price.

My situation is ever so slightly different as I am to take up a job in Thailand ......I am not permitted to continue to work here at home for the duration of a career break so I have no source of income hence the up front costs to me are beyond my means.

If the travel ban shifts soon I would happily do quarantine.

There's also another group, foreigners with Thai PR who need to get back. Thai immigration did give PR holders 1 additional year to return past the expiry date on their current re-entry stamp, but also said, when return is possible these folks must come back quickly.

IMHO many PR holders will go for a repat. flight to 'get back quickly', worried that if they wait for normal commercial flights to resume they will have cancelled any entitlement to the 'extra 12 months to return' order.

I got caught in Australia, desperately want to get back home to my wonderful and caring Thai family, grandkids etc., I have PR 22+ years, 76 y o next Jan, have PTSD, panic and anxiety problems from Vietnam service, can't push my own wheelchair, have a large credit with AirAsia. I asked Thai embassy if I can use AirAsia for COE, answer 'definitely not' must us repat. flight. But very worried if I wait until international flights are operating 'normally' I won't qualify to get/use the 'extra 12 months to return order'.

Any other opinions on this point? Please share. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's also another group, foreigners with Thai PR who need to get back. Thai immigration did give PR holders 1 additional year to return past the expiry date on their current re-entry stamp, but also said, when return is possible these folks must come back quickly.

IMHO many PR holders will go for a repat. flight to 'get back quickly', worried that if they wait for normal commercial flights to resume they will have cancelled any entitlement to the 'extra 12 months to return' order.

I got caught in Australia, desperately want to get back home to my wonderful and caring Thai family, grandkids etc., I have PR 22+ years, 76 y o next Jan, have PTSD, panic and anxiety problems from Vietnam service, can't push my own wheelchair, have a large credit with AirAsia. I asked Thai embassy if I can use AirAsia for COE, answer 'definitely not' must us repat. flight. But very worried if I wait until international flights are operating 'normally' I won't qualify to get/use the 'extra 12 months to return order'.

Any other opinions on this point? Please share. 

Your application for CoE ‘should’ be accepted without a Flight Ticket - you just need to provide all your other documents (required for application) i.e.

- Copies of PR Status

- Insurance Documentation US$100,000 (if thats required for those with PR status)

There has been some *confusion ‘the CoE will only be issued after a Flight Ticket and Proof of ASQ booking has been submitted to the Embassy.

The key word there is issued.... The CoE can be applied for. Once you have notification from the Embassy that your CoE has been approved (but not yet issued) you are then allocated a Repatriation Flight. 

It is at this stage you book your ASQ** and when that is conformed, you pay for directly to the Airline for your repatriation flight 

**book the ASQ before paying for your flight - you don’t want to find out the ASQ are all full after paying for a flight). 

*There is also some confusion ’to apply for a non-Immigration Type O Visa, a flight ticket is needed - this is catching some people out but is a separate issue from the CoE requirement. 

---------

With respect: I’ve been in ASQ alone in my room for 5 days now, I haven’t seen a single person - you mentioned that you cannot push your wheelchair - how will you manage in ASQ alone in a room for 14 days? or will you be travelling with someone (and share a ‘double’ ASQ room with them) ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Willy333 said:

I recently contacted half the list and almost all require a full payment and it is non refundable in most cases, some allow changes with proof of a problem with your flight or visa. A lot requires proof of a repatriation flight for booking as well. 

Ahhhh OK, I had talked to (Bernard?) at the Consulate in LA after submitting the inital batch of documents and he assured me that the CoE would be granted if I submitted the ticket and hotel reciept.  I did and had the CoE the next day.  It sucks if this not the case for everyone but if your papers are in order I assure you they are pretty easy to work with and seem to be fairly efficient granted the circumstance.

14 hours ago, vision said:

I just arrived at my ASQ last night and have already noted it's very similar to Richards with just few differenaces.

My wife had taken the repatreationflight from San Francisco at the end of May and gone throught the Sate Spoonsored (SQ?) program.  She had a better experience than the freind the earlier poster here and although she is picky with food she only ever eats a fraction of what is presented and she rearley ever bothers to turn on the AC even as I'm sweating like a pig so maybe thats why she reported the food to be fine and had no ventilation issues?  Her main gripe was not being allowed out and she told me it was going to me of a problem for me than it was for her.

So my flight cost 1200 (economy from Los Angeles) and everything was very similar to what Richard has already documented so i will focus again only where I noticed slight differenaces.

At the time I was trying to book a room the list had 21 hotels on it and they ranged from about 35K to 80K with i think 1 or two of them even above 100K.  This will come with meals and the required testing so its not fantastic but not totally unreasonable.  I called/emailed/line messaged the ones starting at the lower side and they either didn't reply at all or told me they were already booked up for my July23 entry requirement.    I ended up at a place called Solaria on Sukhumvit at a cost of 60,000.  Before all of this I would have a lot higher standards for 4000 baht a night but the hotel itself is decent, the staff replies to my questions (Via Line) quickly and in decent English and I have about 5 breakfast choices and 10 or so lunch/dinner choices.   They have told me that i will get my first Covid screen on the 28th and if that comes back negative I will then be allowed visits to the bar and the rooftop when those areas are not already at maximum occupancy by other guests (no idea yet how that is determined).

Hi, I am in SoCal awaiting the August flights to be posted.  Where did you get your COVID-19 RT-PCR testing done with the 72hrs?  I have spent two days calling hospitals and labs from San Diego to San Luis Obispo and have been told that the only way you would get results that fast would be if you were sick.  Have all the other ducks lined up, just need the flight to start the dominoes falling for the rest.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, koele2 said:

Here is a Rough guide for separated foreigners with thai spouse and family Trying to get back into thailand.  I came in from USA and am in quarantine right now.  It was a very difficult process with a lot of moving parts, it’s a work in progress for them, with things changing constantly.  I already had a spouse visa that had not expired, which made it slightly easier.

- Apply online at thai consulate for the Certficate of Entry (COE).  You will need to submit several documents.

$100,000 health insurance.  You need to obtain this before you apply, they are checking and won’t let you move forward without proof of insurance.

Plane ticket reservation.  This one made no sense because whatever reservation you have will currently not get you into the country because all they have right now are government charters.  The only way to get on the list for a gov. charter is to show them your plane reservation that you will probably have to end up cancelling.  I had a return ticket for April, that was cancelled, and I changed it to Aug when I found out they were letting spouses back in.  Only then did they let me know I was on a list and to contact certain travel agents to get on a charter flight, which I had to pay for.  And now I am looking to get a refund on my original ticket.  Not sure if they are still requiring this, but I had to go through this.

Confirmed hotel reservation.  You have to pay For the quarantine hotel before they issue the COE.  I was very weary putting up non refundable money before I got COVID results timing correct.

Marriage certificate, spouse ID, some other easy stuff.

- After they approve everything and you get your plane ticket, they issue the Certificate of Entry (COE).

- Get a Fit to Fly document.  I went to a doctor on a list they provided in my state.  All he did was take blood pressure, read my pulse, ask me simple health questions, and then issue me a written document saying I am healthy, not sick, and patient is Fit to Fly.  Those exact words need to be written by the doctor.  Must be done within 72 hrs of flying.  

- COVID 19 test.  This one is the trickiest.  I was lucky enough to find somewhere that got me results within 48 hrs.  Some states are backed up like crazy.  They are saying within 72 hrs of when the results are issued, not when test was taken, but you never know, they can change their mind.

At least they stopped requiring these two items to be uploaded to the consulate before you got the COE.  Now just printed copies or originals are required before boarding the plane, along with the COE.  

Final advice is if you don’t need to come, just wait.  It’s too hectic and very expensive.  There were way more immigration and healthcare workers at the airport screening us than people actually on the plane.  We were mixed in with Thais returning home.  

I am in Ventura CA waiting for the August flights to be published so can get back to my family who I have not been with since Jan 12th (due to work which ended 1 month ago) but have been calling hospitals and clinical labs from San Diego to San Luis Obispo CA for somewhere to get COVID-1 RT-PCR testing and results in 48hrs with no luck.  Where did you get the testing done?  I am also with you on the flight, they are holding my COE application for a flight.  Have e-mailed the LA Consulate that if there are no commercial flights into Thailand, how do I make a reservation for one? No response yet.  The way it looks is that when the August flights are announced, you make a tentative reservation, get your COE done, then can pay for the reservation and it becomes solid.  This introduces a possible seat losing delay.  I am considering the make and break reservation on a commercial flight just to have the COE ready.

4 hours ago, PatrickC said:

On the 1st part - that shows the Thai embassy in the UK is now consistent with Australia - only issuing the COE after you've paid for the flight. That I guess must be consistent globally now.

As for waiting for commercial flights, I suspect you'll be waiting until next year - maybe even mid next year before they become in anyway normal again. None of this seems like it will end anytime soon.

Not consistent with the USA at the moment so says ihannatour (one of the authorized agents for ticketing), have to make the reservation but can't pay, submit that reservation to complete your COE, then submit the COE to be able to pay for the seat.  In the meantime, you can lose the seat if a Thai person adds on the flight and bumps you before the flight paid for.

53 minutes ago, vision said:

Ahhhh OK, I had talked to (Bernard?) at the Consulate in LA after submitting the inital batch of documents and he assured me that the CoE would be granted if I submitted the ticket and hotel reciept.  I did and had the CoE the next day.  It sucks if this not the case for everyone but if your papers are in order I assure you they are pretty easy to work with and seem to be fairly efficient granted the circumstance.

I love Bernard, he has always been so helpful in the past.  Just sent him an e-mail for clarification on the flight.  So, please, did you have to make a reservation on a flight that your going to have to cancel to get your COE or is this the repatriation flight your speaking of?, that is the last piece missing from my COE application.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I love Bernard, he has always been so helpful in the past.  Just sent him an e-mail for clarification on the flight.  So, please, did you have to make a reservation on a flight that your going to have to cancel to get your COE or is this the repatriation flight your speaking of?, that is the last piece missing from my COE application.

Thanks!

I am in ASQ on my 3rd day right now.  After i talked with Brenard and he gave me a link to the most recent flights list.   There was a recently added flight for the 22nd of July on there so I booked that one and then found a hotel (again this is the wrong order to go about it) but it worked out for me. 

CAUTION:  You can book as many flights as you like with airlines that are outside of the repatriation program but they are not valid and they will not end up flying.  They are doing a huge disservice by continuing to sell tickets DO NOT BOOK ON THEM!  To get the CoE you must show that your booked on one of the very specific repatriation flights.

All in all I was not as smart or efficiant as i could have been if I knew then what i know now but if you follow the script you'll be here soon and you can turn your focus to complaining about your food options  😛

• Like 2

Solid info, thanks. Would like to get back in within next 6 months, but all this is not for me. Going forward, if this thing does not move along and it becomes the norm, Thailand will have to do some serious thinking.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your application for CoE ‘should’ be accepted without a Flight Ticket - you just need to provide all your other documents (required for application) i.e.

- Copies of PR Status

- Insurance Documentation US$100,000 (if thats required for those with PR status)

There has been some *confusion ‘the CoE will only be issued after a Flight Ticket and Proof of ASQ booking has been submitted to the Embassy.

The key word there is issued.... The CoE can be applied for. Once you have notification from the Embassy that your CoE has been approved (but not yet issued) you are then allocated a Repatriation Flight. 

It is at this stage you book your ASQ** and when that is conformed, you pay for directly to the Airline for your repatriation flight 

**book the ASQ before paying for your flight - you don’t want to find out the ASQ are all full after paying for a flight). 

*There is also some confusion ’to apply for a non-Immigration Type O Visa, a flight ticket is needed - this is catching some people out but is a separate issue from the CoE requirement. 

---------

With respect: I’ve been in ASQ alone in my room for 5 days now, I haven’t seen a single person - you mentioned that you cannot push your wheelchair - how will you manage in ASQ alone in a room for 14 days? or will you be travelling with someone (and share a ‘double’ ASQ room with them) ?

Thanks. I use a wheelchair because I can't walk long distances, brings on very severe lower back pain, swaying/instability and shaking. But at home, in a room etc., I can get around by holding/touching the furniture. I can walk slowly holding the seat backs etc., from aircraft door to occupying aircraft seat.   

I will get around the quarantine room without help. After check-in at the ASQ hotel I'll ask them to buy a cheap plastic stool so I can sit down in the shower to take a bath.

I book transport which delivers me to the airport (e.g. Sydney) and takes me to the check-in line where the airline takes my wheelchair to check it in and swap it for an airline owned chair.  (Not the point here but AirAsia are excellent at this type of service.)

Edited by scorecard
14 hours ago, Sujo said:

Apologies, its emirates. I see it pays if u actually get it though. Wonder if that is enough to tell imm you are insured.

They will only pay it if you are diagnosed as Covid positive after the flight. It is a good idea by Emirates but appears to be directed at business travellers and of course not specifically Thailand, and certainly not those returning to live there.