Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

53 minutes ago, vision said:

Ahhhh OK, I had talked to (Bernard?) at the Consulate in LA after submitting the inital batch of documents and he assured me that the CoE would be granted if I submitted the ticket and hotel reciept.  I did and had the CoE the next day.  It sucks if this not the case for everyone but if your papers are in order I assure you they are pretty easy to work with and seem to be fairly efficient granted the circumstance.

I love Bernard, he has always been so helpful in the past.  Just sent him an e-mail for clarification on the flight.  So, please, did you have to make a reservation on a flight that your going to have to cancel to get your COE or is this the repatriation flight your speaking of?, that is the last piece missing from my COE application.

Thanks!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I love Bernard, he has always been so helpful in the past.  Just sent him an e-mail for clarification on the flight.  So, please, did you have to make a reservation on a flight that your going to have to cancel to get your COE or is this the repatriation flight your speaking of?, that is the last piece missing from my COE application.

Thanks!

I am in ASQ on my 3rd day right now.  After i talked with Brenard and he gave me a link to the most recent flights list.   There was a recently added flight for the 22nd of July on there so I booked that one and then found a hotel (again this is the wrong order to go about it) but it worked out for me. 

CAUTION:  You can book as many flights as you like with airlines that are outside of the repatriation program but they are not valid and they will not end up flying.  They are doing a huge disservice by continuing to sell tickets DO NOT BOOK ON THEM!  To get the CoE you must show that your booked on one of the very specific repatriation flights.

All in all I was not as smart or efficiant as i could have been if I knew then what i know now but if you follow the script you'll be here soon and you can turn your focus to complaining about your food options  😛

• Like 2

Solid info, thanks. Would like to get back in within next 6 months, but all this is not for me. Going forward, if this thing does not move along and it becomes the norm, Thailand will have to do some serious thinking.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your application for CoE ‘should’ be accepted without a Flight Ticket - you just need to provide all your other documents (required for application) i.e.

- Copies of PR Status

- Insurance Documentation US$100,000 (if thats required for those with PR status)

There has been some *confusion ‘the CoE will only be issued after a Flight Ticket and Proof of ASQ booking has been submitted to the Embassy.

The key word there is issued.... The CoE can be applied for. Once you have notification from the Embassy that your CoE has been approved (but not yet issued) you are then allocated a Repatriation Flight. 

It is at this stage you book your ASQ** and when that is conformed, you pay for directly to the Airline for your repatriation flight 

**book the ASQ before paying for your flight - you don’t want to find out the ASQ are all full after paying for a flight). 

*There is also some confusion ’to apply for a non-Immigration Type O Visa, a flight ticket is needed - this is catching some people out but is a separate issue from the CoE requirement. 

---------

With respect: I’ve been in ASQ alone in my room for 5 days now, I haven’t seen a single person - you mentioned that you cannot push your wheelchair - how will you manage in ASQ alone in a room for 14 days? or will you be travelling with someone (and share a ‘double’ ASQ room with them) ?

Thanks. I use a wheelchair because I can't walk long distances, brings on very severe lower back pain, swaying/instability and shaking. But at home, in a room etc., I can get around by holding/touching the furniture. I can walk slowly holding the seat backs etc., from aircraft door to occupying aircraft seat.   

I will get around the quarantine room without help. After check-in at the ASQ hotel I'll ask them to buy a cheap plastic stool so I can sit down in the shower to take a bath.

I book transport which delivers me to the airport (e.g. Sydney) and takes me to the check-in line where the airline takes my wheelchair to check it in and swap it for an airline owned chair.  (Not the point here but AirAsia are excellent at this type of service.)

Edited by scorecard
5 hours ago, scorecard said:

There's also another group, foreigners with Thai PR who need to get back. Thai immigration did give PR holders 1 additional year to return past the expiry date on their current re-entry stamp, but also said, when return is possible these folks must come back quickly.

IMHO many PR holders will go for a repat. flight to 'get back quickly', worried that if they wait for normal commercial flights to resume they will have cancelled any entitlement to the 'extra 12 months to return' order.

I got caught in Australia, desperately want to get back home to my wonderful and caring Thai family, grandkids etc., I have PR 22+ years, 76 y o next Jan, have PTSD, panic and anxiety problems from Vietnam service, can't push my own wheelchair, have a large credit with AirAsia. I asked Thai embassy if I can use AirAsia for COE, answer 'definitely not' must us repat. flight. But very worried if I wait until international flights are operating 'normally' I won't qualify to get/use the 'extra 12 months to return order'.

Any other opinions on this point? Please share. 

If you possibly can get on a repatriation flight and come sooner. There is absolutely no guarantee that flights will return to normal any time soon. Even after a vaccine works it will take many months to roll out.

I realise this might mean a financial sacrifice, and many of us are making them to get back. Question is what is more important - being home in Thailand or money.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, vision said:

Hopefully it doesn't come to a mandate.  My hotel had a tiered structure:

Cancel within 24 hours, is free

Cancel with at least a week, there was a clerical fee to pay

Cancel with less than 24 hours left and you would only be refunded half

Ok so it varies hotel by hotel. I actually think a mandate is not a bad idea to make it clear what the rules are when you are booking ASQ. Not all hotels will be reasonable. Some might take advantage.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sujo said:

Apologies, its emirates. I see it pays if u actually get it though. Wonder if that is enough to tell imm you are insured.

They will only pay it if you are diagnosed as Covid positive after the flight. It is a good idea by Emirates but appears to be directed at business travellers and of course not specifically Thailand, and certainly not those returning to live there.

20 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Ok so it varies hotel by hotel. I actually think a mandate is not a bad idea to make it clear what the rules are when you are booking ASQ. Not all hotels will be reasonable. Some might take advantage.

I get it, probably it makes sence that it be part of the requirements to join the ASQ program.  I just had a knee jerk reaction to making anything mandatory but it's the governments program so it might make sence that all participants have the same basic requirements.  That said, every hotel is different and this might impose more on some types than on others.

FYI....Quarantine breakfast.  Delivered to your room and you can't tip the courrier if they ring your bell and ditch.

image.thumb.png.a9127c3d5556dc0db1853bf3c1f82f87.png

• Thanks 1

For U.S. applicants, the COE was stalled until I submitted a flight reservation.  This was NOT the chartered flights the Thai govt provides.  Normal people don’t have access to reserve a seat.  You have to go through a travel agent provided by The consulate, they put you on a list, the travel agent sees your name, you pick a repat flight, pay for the ticket, and then resubmit COE application for actual COE.  

now before all this was done, I had to call korean air, rebook my cancelled ticket for aug. for a flight I knew was probably NOT going to fly, just so I could move forward on the beginning part of the COE application.  When the consulate saw I had a flight, only then did they move me to the next stage of the COE, which allowed me to get on the list for purchasing and catching a govt. charter flight.  I have now cancelled my original flight.

That was my process in the US.  I already had a cancelled return ticket, some of you might need to buy a “fake” ticket just to proceed in the COE process.  

• Sad 1
20 minutes ago, koele2 said:

That was my process in the US.  I already had a cancelled return ticket, some of you might need to buy a “fake” ticket just to proceed in the COE process.

Could you please let us know when was that if you don't mind me asking?

As far as I know it's not the process for now, and wasn't 2 weeks ago.

Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence?

Besides, In prior months the embassies weren't in position to make any kinds of decisions.

At that time only Ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok could make those kinds of moves.

The embassy was just a relaying point.

But for now, when the embassies are fully in charge, there's absolutely no point in purchasing a non-repat flight. It won't speed up anything.

2 hours ago, vision said:

FYI....Quarantine breakfast.  Delivered to your room and you can't tip the courrier if they ring your bell and ditch.

What is the name of the hotel?

36 minutes ago, koele2 said:

For U.S. applicants, the COE was stalled until I submitted a flight reservation.  This was NOT the chartered flights the Thai govt provides.  Normal people don’t have access to reserve a seat.  You have to go through a travel agent provided by The consulate, they put you on a list, the travel agent sees your name, you pick a repat flight, pay for the ticket, and then resubmit COE application for actual COE.  

now before all this was done, I had to call korean air, rebook my cancelled ticket for aug. for a flight I knew was probably NOT going to fly, just so I could move forward on the beginning part of the COE application.  When the consulate saw I had a flight, only then did they move me to the next stage of the COE, which allowed me to get on the list for purchasing and catching a govt. charter flight.  I have now cancelled my original flight.

This was NOT my process.  It is similar in every way except that the the consulate never requested nor did I pruchase a "fake" ticket.   I believe that as soon as you qualify (by demonstarating that you fall into one of the approved catagories) you should be able to book your ticket through the approved travel agents.  I know not hearing from the embassy is frustrating and that lack of communication may feel like there is something more to do but if I had to bet i would take the Unheard senario where you booked the ticket and submitted it and that submission caused the embassy personel to send you a link not because they were waiting for you to send them a "fake" ticket but because your submitting the wrong ticket made them realize you needed the link.

9 minutes ago, unheard said:

What is the name of the hotel?

This was from Solaria hotel on Sukhumvit.   I didn't realize when I booked but this hotel seems to cater to Japanese so the menu tends to favor Japanese style foods for the most part but the pic I posted was of thier  "American" beakfast.

Also for the gentelman in the wheelchair this hotel does offer disability rooms and wheechair assitance but I cannot speak to what that means.