Anti-govt protest spreads to Chiang Mai

webfact

Anti-govt protest spreads to Chiang Mai

By The Nation

800_2b258ebeb69bfbd.jpg?v=1595238064

Ant-government protesters gathered at Tha Phae Gate in Chiang Mai on Sunday (July 19) following a similar rally at Democracy Monument in Bangkok on Saturday.

At 5pm, more than 500 people had gathered at the Chiang Mai landmark to demand that the government dissolve Parliament and change the Constitution to a “people’s charter”.

As in Bangkok, the Chiang Mai protesters held signs of defiance against dictatorship and raised the three-finger salute of the pro-democracy movement.

Police asked demonstrators to disperse, citing the risk of spreading Covid-19, but the protesters continued with their rally.

Thanathorn Vitayabenjang from Chiang Mai University said the rally was made up of students from northern universities gathered under the name “Vila Party” (Cat Party). A protest speaker said it was time for Thai people to establish a true democracy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391626

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-21

• Like 1

Those smiling doe eyed passive orientals just don't deserve democracy. Stick to providing cut price sexual services or for those too old or ugly dishing up a road side pad thai when we've had a Chang or two too many.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police asked demonstrators to disperse, citing the risk of spreading Covid-19, but the protesters continued with their rally.

Hence the emergency decree still being in place...

50 + days of no domestic infections so where is the risk coming from?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

the Chiang Mai protesters held signs of defiance against dictatorship and raised the three-finger salute of the pro-democracy movement.

...and they were allowed to proceed, without water cannon or tear gas -- or arrest? What a great country. How do you think this would play out in the Red neighbors --China, Vietnam, Laos -- and even Cambodia and Burma? Even Malaysia and Singapore have rules against such "seditionist" gatherings, requiring a week of red tape, if even allowed.

No, Thailand youth -- the glass is more than half full under that haphazard start government. Yes, things are so dreadful with corvid 19 that tomorrow's future looks bleak -- and of course it's human nature to blame this on the gov't in office. But human nature is not objective, and youthful idealism is nice when you're young, but not when mature observations and decisions are needed.

So, let the kids have their kicks -- don't overplay it like in Portland, Oregon, land of real democracy.

Yes Thailand's gov't is way far from perfect -- but I do believe they're sincerely trying to forge ahead in the right direction. Do you really think things would be better under the rice lady, just because she was "democratically" elected? Geez, so was Trump. So much for democracy, when so many uninformed idiots now have the vote.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

...and they were allowed to proceed, without water cannon or tear gas -- or arrest? What a great country. How do you think this would play out in the Red neighbors --China, Vietnam, Laos -- and even Cambodia and Burma? Even Malaysia and Singapore have rules against such "seditionist" gatherings, requiring a week of red tape, if even allowed.

No, Thailand youth -- the glass is more than half full under that haphazard start government. Yes, things are so dreadful with corvid 19 that tomorrow's future looks bleak -- and of course it's human nature to blame this on the gov't in office. But human nature is not objective, and youthful idealism is nice when you're young, but not when mature observations and decisions are needed.

So, let the kids have their kicks -- don't overplay it like in Portland, Oregon, land of real democracy.

Yes Thailand's gov't is way far from perfect -- but I do believe they're sincerely trying to forge ahead in the right direction. Do you really think things would be better under the rice lady, just because she was "democratically" elected? Geez, so was Trump. So much for democracy, when so many uninformed idiots now have the vote.

Methinks this group is too small to matter. Remember 2013? The Thai government didn't mess around then.

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

The regime wishes to make Thailand every bit as controlled and oppressed as the "red neighbours".

In the "New Era" there is, there will be, no brake or moderation (as there was before) on/of its ambition.

That is why the students have to spearhead the fight against what you mistakenly believe to be benign governance.

It's not rocket science.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Those smiling doe eyed passive orientals just don't deserve democracy. Stick to providing cut price sexual services or for those too old or ugly dishing up a road side pad thai when we've had a Chang or two too many.

I would hope you retract that totally off base BS and lacking intelligence racist comment. 

More power to the Thai kids and older Thai folk who have had just enough of the regime and what they stand for. Those old days are long gone and there is no garnered respect anymore of their institution. No room in this world for suppressive Dictatorships or suppressive Communisms as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 1

My daughter is too sensible to be involved in any of this nonsense.

I certainly don't want her to disappear or be shot.

Asian government do stuff their own way, can't see much difference between any of the SEA countries.

But at least they don't appear to be sinking in a sea of BLM social discontent and imported stabugees like many of our home countries. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Asian government do stuff their own way, can't see much difference between any of the SEA countries.

Exactly. You couldn't have done this rally in Singapore, a country whose managed democracy works well, and thus subsequently gets little criticism (except from HRW). Malaysia has even stricter anti sedition laws precluding rallies.

In March 2018, the [Singapore] government passed the Public Order and Safety (Special Powers) Act, which provides Singapore’s home affairs minister with sweeping powers if a “serious incident” has been, is being, or is likely to be committed. While the law purports to be aimed at “serious violence and large-scale public disorder,” illustrations in the law of what may be considered a “serious incident” make clear it can be used against peaceful protesters.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/singapore

And, of course, if you were a Chinese protester, try setting up a soapbox in Tiananmen Square.

So, where else would you like to preach against the government -- Vietnam, Laos, Burma, Cambodia?

No, when it comes to free speech, and access to information (e.g., the internet) I think you'll find Thailand, while not perfect, the winner in SEA.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:30 PM, Krataiboy said:
On 7/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, scorecard said:

Stupid comment.

No, irony surely.

hmmm   i thought that too.    Reminds me of the time I wrote a blistering condemnation of all the

stupid people who complain about pollution .   Trouble was I wrote it too well, and like the war of the worlds radio broadcast (see google)  I created quite a panic with sad and confused emojis pouring down

on me on TV like bricks from an ancient wall.   Moderators threw cauldrons of hot tar down on me

and I was banished to the dark side.    

So be careful with the irony kids    ????

It warms my heart the more of this I see. Keep at it youth of Thailand. Don't let the sad, old dinosaurs in power throttle your great country and make it into a dour vassal state of China. Sometimes I wish Thais weren't so apathetic, easy going and avoiding of confrontation. Get out there and get your country back. :smile:

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, BritManToo said:

My daughter is too sensible to be involved in any of this nonsense.

I certainly don't want her to disappear or be shot.

But at least they don't appear to be sinking in a sea of BLM social discontent and imported stabugees like many of our home countries. 

I support my kids decision to go join if they want to. I just tell them to be careful on social media. If they don't stand up on the whole united together then it will just be silenced again, and that is exactly what is not needed for their futures. The way things are running, Thailand will be called PRCT (People's Republic of Chinese Thailand).