marriage visa

have not shown the immigration office any papers yet only asked them what the visa requires and when I tell them what I have read about the requirements (monthly 40k) they they keep saying i must have the 400k in bank. the 40k are not a problem for me at all but right now the 400k are

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mimavi said:

they keep saying i must have the 400k in bank. the 40k are not a problem for me at all but right now the 400k

Which immigration office do you use.

I have read similar experience to yours in the past. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am on my 12th extension of stay based upon marriage using the 40k baht income option. I used a income affidavit from my embassy for the first 11 and last year showed proof of 40 baht income going into a Thai bank from abroad for over 12 months.

Sorry to steal the topic, but I just realized has marriage visa in Thailand for foreigners. (Based on my experience in US and EU this kind of thing is almost impossible there I haven't even checked this in TH).

So it means I don't have to be employed if I have 400K in the bank, do I? I've just finished my 3 years employment, so if my company wouldn't survive covid and I lose my job, can I apply? Currently I'm on non immigrant working visa.

Also do you know, marriage visa I can use to apply later for citizenship without paying tax 3 years?

Sadly, the Kap Choeng, Surin Province office has not been accepting the 40K Baht monthly. The main officer there will Only accept the 400K Baht in the bank. I have not tried this year but for 2 years he said NO! So, now I go to Savannakhet and get the ME marriage extension. Not sure if it has changed at that office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Badb0y said:

So it means I don't have to be employed if I have 400K in the bank, do I? I've just finished my 3 years employment, so if my company wouldn't survive covid and I lose my job, can I apply? Currently I'm on non immigrant working visa.

If you have 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in you name only you could change the reason for your extension for working to one based upon being married to a Thai.

38 minutes ago, Badb0y said:

Also do you know, marriage visa I can use to apply later for citizenship without paying tax 3 years?

No

You need 3 years of at least 40k baht income from working with a work permit to apply for citizenship. 

5 minutes ago, Sir-Woody said:

Can anyone recommend a reputably good visa agency in Bangkok

I want to submit a marriage visa application without too much hassle 

Doing it yourself is not a hassle and will save a pot of cash.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zoza said:

it all depends on where and who you have to deal with, some easy some a nightmare, as they can do what they feel like? Chon buri can take three days, ''Chock Dee'' lad. 

Please explain---Why do you say 3 days in Chonburi/Jomtien. Max one hour if you have all your documents as required.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

They declined the application because several months showed only 26,000 and insisted that you cannot show less than 40,000 every month. I referred to the above "avaerage" but they still refused.

Some offices just will not accept a average income.

I think they would be more likely to accept transfers that are a little below 40k baht and others a little above 40k baht that would appear to be due  to exchange rate fluctuations and totaled 480k baht or more for the year.

6 hours ago, teetersb said:

Sadly, the Kap Choeng, Surin Province office has not been accepting the 40K Baht monthly. The main officer there will Only accept the 400K Baht in the bank. I have not tried this year but for 2 years he said NO! So, now I go to Savannakhet and get the ME marriage extension. Not sure if it has changed at that office.

Applied there last week, they happily accepted the 40k per month. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

I got around the refusal with money on deposit, but it left a nasty taste..........

Yeah treatment after years of being here by some immigration offices is getting worse IMHO.

Maesot use to be so good, glad when immigration office came Sukhothai because right on my door step but one geezer there is a nasty sly bit of work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I feel I'm missing something here. I have a marriage visa and have never had to show any income at all as I simply get my visa every year in Savannakhet. The same would apply also if I went to HCM city, except that I would need a letter signed by my wife which I wouldn't need in Savannakhet. Nor would I need to show income if I take up the 60-day extension option at my local (Kalasin) IO. Which, until now, I've never done as I prefer to get something for my 1900 baht by crossing a border and seeing something different. That exit, obviously, might not be possible for the foreseeable future, although I would guess that local borders might open up well before the end of the year..

Am I delusional? I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mimavi said:

have not shown the immigration office any papers yet only asked them what the visa requires and when I tell them what I have read about the requirements (monthly 40k) they they keep saying i must have the 400k in bank. the 40k are not a problem for me at all but right now the 400k are

I did the same at Kalasin IO, got much the same response. Ubonjoe is, as always correct though. It's not both it's that they'd rather you put money in the bank cos it's simpler for them. income method with Embassy letter is fine ...if your Embassy still does them otherwise some IOs like mine start erecting hurdles, others don't but where you live governs which IO you have to use for marriage basis, because they visit you at home if they want to. Again Kalasin IO does.

As I can't do money in the bank this year now either I'm leaving as I have another home in France and will return ....and start again... when that's possible either on visa exempt or on a no  O issued by the Thai Embassy in France.

The actual advice from Kalasin, to me anyway, was I should leave the country and get another non O multi based on marriage in Laos ( Savanakhet). Of course you can't and still may not be able to by 26 September.

Which is your IO?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

I was at Khon Kaen office several weeks ago and showed 12 months bank statements with a total of 700,000+ TB income.  This was made up of 13 x 26,000 State Pension and 4 x 100,000 Quarterly Private Pension.

They declined the application because several months showed only 26,000 and insisted that you cannot show less than 40,000 every month. I referred to the above "avaerage" but they still refused.

I got around the refusal with money on deposit, but it left a nasty taste..........

Why not use money in the bank.?

You have enough for Retirement and Marriage.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I feel I'm missing something here. I have a marriage visa and have never had to show any income at all as I simply get my visa every year in Savannakhet. The same would apply also if I went to HCM city, except that I would need a letter signed by my wife which I wouldn't need in Savannakhet. Nor would I need to show income if I take up the 60-day extension option at my local (Kalasin) IO. Which, until now, I've never done as I prefer to get something for my 1900 baht by crossing a border and seeing something different. That exit, obviously, might not be possible for the foreseeable future, although I would guess that local borders might open up well before the end of the year..

This thread is about annual extensions of stay based upon marriage, despite the thread title.  You have a multiple entry O visa based on marriage.  2 different things.  Your visa can/could be obtained in several locations without finances, some others, e.g. Penang, where you need to show THB400K (I think that's maybe still the case as my last was in 2015) and many other places where they are no longer available at all, UK for one.

10 hours ago, thainet said:

Please explain---Why do you say 3 days in Chonburi/Jomtien. Max one hour if you have all your documents as required.

You still have to wait 30 days under consideration even if the application takes 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How can you not know there are financial requirements for 1 year extensions based on marriage in Thailand?

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You still have to wait 30 days under consideration even if the application takes 30 minutes. 

Of course..  we all know that, not what I was asking. I was asking why he quoted 3 days when its usually max one hour.

7 hours ago, thainet said:

Of course..  we all know that, not what I was asking. I was asking why he quoted 3 days when its usually max one hour.

there is no usually anymore your requirements are dictated by which province your immigration office is located? and which way the immigration officer decides to interpret the rules? and what kind of mood is he or she is in that day? usually does not live in Thailand immigration anymore, and if you read the majority of the post's you will see that for a lot of people going to their imm office for an extension due to married to a Thai is a nightmare now. my advice  is to take a Thai wittiness who is not scared to Question the imm officer's, we did and it seemed to take the wind from their sails. 

have you bothered to read these posts? and how is the Merc.?...LOL