marriage visa

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't understand why they said they could not the extension. Are they saying they cannot do them for anybody.

Or because your visa had expired? If that they are completely wrong and trying to get money out of you.

Yes, he said he had turned another 3 people away in the same boat. What could I do? Say you are wrong? I don't think I have much choice as they could pick holes in the paperwork as they please. According to my wife he said the visa had expired in April. If I had come in last week I could have done it. Now the government have said that immigration can't change the visa. The amnesty is only for people waiting to leave the country or ifthey have an accident or are sick.

Edited by barry553

21 minutes ago, barry553 said:

Yes, he said he had turned another 3 people away in the same boat. What could I do? Say you are wrong? I don't think I have much choice as they could pick holes in the paperwork as they please.

Take your wife next time?

2 hours ago, barry553 said:

I went to Immigration in Huahin trying to get my first income based extension to a marriage visa. My wife had time off work and so this was the only time I could manage it. I had the paperwork they asked for. Unfortunately he said it was too late. As of today they can't do the visa extensions for marriage. My multi - o was obtained 1st July 2019 so ran out end of June 2020. Even though the last time they said it would be ok provided I have the correct proof of foreign income of 40000. I had this but now it is said to be too late. He said there was another way.... Pay 14900 baht and I can get it done (in secret) . The "normal" price is 8000 but because my visa is "wrong" it requires extra money. Of course, at the present time money is tight for me and that is a lot more than I feel comfortable paying. I don't feel comfortable supporting corruption but these are very difficult, unprecedented times and I have a family to support. 8000 I could manage but I didn't feel like I could negotiate the price. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Several immigration offices because of the amnesties now have the opportunity to get some extra money. Why didn't you go to immigration in June and applied for the extension? Try to ask an agent what they will charge you. You meet the requirements, so maybe the cost won't be more than 8,000 baht. Who knows? Don't mention the price at immigration. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Several immigration offices because of the amnesties now have the opportunity to get some extra money. Why didn't you go to immigration in June and applied for the extension? Try to ask an agent what they will charge you. You meet the requirements, so maybe the cost won't be more than 8,000 baht. Who knows? Don't mention the price at immigration. 

I couldn't go in June because the wife couldn't get time off work. I may look into using an agent yes.

46 minutes ago, barry553 said:

Now the government have said that immigration can't change the visa. The amnesty is only for people waiting to leave the country or ifthey have an accident or are sick.

There is no change of the visa. You are just applying for an extension of you original entry from you non-o visa.

There are no changes to the ministerial about what immigration can do or not do.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no change of the visa. You are just applying for an extension of you original entry from you non-o visa.

There are no changes to the ministerial about what immigration can do or not do.

Does it matter that the multi - o expired in July 2020 and my last valid entry was until April 28th 2020?

18 minutes ago, barry553 said:

Does it matter that the multi - o expired in July 2020 and my last valid entry was until April 28th 2020?

You visas expiration date means nothing after you are in the country. It is only the last day you can use it for entry to the country to get a 90 day entry.

The date your last entry ended should not matter but some offices think differently and do not consider the "automatic extension" under the amnesty as a extension of your original entry.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

You visas expiration date means nothing after you are in the country. It is only the last day you can use it for entry to the country to get a 90 day entry.

The date your last entry ended should not matter but some offices think differently and do not consider the "automatic extension" under the amnesty as a extension of your original entry.

I tried again today. I had all the paperwork, this time they were trying to sell me a visa based on my son. I couldn't believe it when the "manager" as they were referred to, pulled out a calculator inside the immigration office and quoted me 20000 for a parent type visa. This was a service fee for opening a bank account and putting 400,000 temporarily in a bank. I couldn't help but get angry as it was like being at a market and getting a quote for a Buddha statue. Last time I was quoted 15,000 and now 20000. They are clearly trying to extract money. I explained I had the necessary proof of funds. She said I couldn't extend the marriage visa because it had expired at the end of June. Then I gave her the Transferwise print out she said it was no good, it just a computer print out and would need to be verified by the Thai consulate. I know it is a bad thing to get angry here but I just couldn't help myself and made a bit of a scene saying how it was disgusting how they are taking advantage of people's bad situation. I don't know what to do now. Sick and tired of it.

• Sad 1