Does it ever cool down up here?

Keyser Soze666

34 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Always makes me cringe when hearing retards say 'I love the climate here' You do have to wonder about those people. The climate here is vile and inhumane. Not fit for purpose.

The climate used to be much better when the 3 seasons still existed. 

The 4 winter months were very pleasant. 

The 4 rainy months were not bad, with frequent showers cooling the atmosphere. 

The 4 hot months were hard and it was time to either travel abroad or go to the beach. 

Nowadays, unfortunately, it's more or less a year long summer season with very high humidity... at least in Isaan... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Always makes me cringe when hearing retards say 'I love the climate here' You do have to wonder about those people. The climate here is vile and inhumane. Not fit for purpose.

I have to agree that for six months a year the climate is "brutal" How anyone can enjoy 40°c days and high humidity is beyond my comprehension.

Contrary to others experience outside of Udon we have still been getting a "winter" not as cold as previously but a welcome break from the heat & humidity!

Yesterday was hot, sunny and 36° - no rain, supposed to be even hotter today! ????

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

They don't enjoy it, they are just trying to convince themselves they do.

I get a kick out of the "don't like air con" brigade, can only imagine they live in a stinking mould ridden shack! :shock1:

(With the windows open to bring in more Heat!) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CGW said:

I get a kick out of the "don't like air con" brigade, can only imagine they live in a stinking mould ridden shack! :shock1:

(With the windows open to bring in more Heat!) 

Yep, that's it. 'I only need a fan' When we know the real reason why they don't turn the air on.

'Expats' are a very strange breed.

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

This weather is insane..it's like flying to the sun and living on it.

Is this what you people call 'living the dream'??

It is the preparation for being in hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Always makes me cringe when I see posters call other people 'retards'. And always consider their opinion to be correct. 

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

You literally can't even go outside. Who 'chooses' to live like this, I mean, come on, seriously??

The weather here is far from enjoyable. Most here lounge under a sala during the day because the homes are unbearably hot. Unless you have AC and want to spend a lot, you watch TV with a fan directly on you. I lived in Texas before i came here, and the weather there, especially near the coast or in Houston, is just like this. Hot and humid. The difference there is that there are a changing of the seasons,especially into winter, where it gets very cold at times in the San Antonio area where I lived. Sometimes getting down to 26 to 35 degrees (-3 to 1.6 C) for a few days or so, then going back up to a moderate 15 to 20C. That lasts a week or so, then it goes back to warm, but you do have a cold season from November to February. In New Jersey where I'm from, you have true 4 seasons, with snow,cold,warm,wet and dry. Here it's usually hot and more hot, with some evenings and mornings in winter that are pretty nice, but it doesn't last long. The only reason I'm here is my family, and would like to go back eventually. Isaan is about the most boring place outside of Antarctica (guessing), as there nothing much to do. The fishing is pretty much nil, with pay and fish places the exception, as locals decimate the fish population with unregulated netting, not understanding the word conservation. Nothing here but farming after you wake up, then going home, eating, watching TV, then sleep, repeating every day throughout the year. Then there's the bugs, being a tropical location. Worse I've ever seen, including Texas, the Northeast, Canada, Mexico, and many other states I've been to. A bit off topic, but the heat does suck, and tomorrow it will again. This is supposed to be the rainy season, and the rain sometimes comes, but most days it looks like rain, but it disappears. rain helps, especially later in the day, to cool it down a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

It gets a bigger problem the older I get. But if I remember the cold dark winter days in Europe then it is still better. Sure summer in Europe is great. Before I traveled there in summertime. But in the meantime I don't want all the hassle and long flights anymore. It is easier to stay here inside and switch on the aircon. My problem is not so much the heat but the humidity. In my rooms I always have between 40 to 50 percent thanks to the aircons. And whenever I go out and come back the first thing I do is taking a shower. It is not easy but for me still better than a winter. 

Yes, that is the old argument of course. Freezing winters certainly no fun either. I've been here for a long time and accept this is  a hot counrty of course, but this heat is off the charts. Where is the rain, even some clouds to cover the sun for a while? It's like a desert.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Unfortunately, many expats choose a western style house that doesn't have the traditional ventilation, natural insulation, outdoor kitchen etc.

Thais too. In the village there were no walls around the living area, but in Lamphun the in laws house was very poorly ventilated and the kitchen had been enclosed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Isaan is about the most boring place outside of Antarctica (guessing), as there nothing much to do.

I worked in Antarctica for a year and that is a completely wrong statement. Every day there was incredibly interesting and full of activity. When I came home I had to get used to the far more boring lifestyle.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, Sydneyboy1 said:

Been spending some time in Ubon at the WIFE'S ranch during this covid nonsense.

why don't you ask the wife. Seems she would know what the climate is like if she is from there.... 

Hopefully some rainfall soon

The horses and steers will need water
the creek is quite low this yr ????

• Haha 1

It’s all about shade in Isaan.  I notice in the small village lots—they have about 80-90% shade on their land—houses, rice barns, trees, overhangs etc.

i warn my wife not to pump out and fish the farm ponds in January—we will need the water for the next growing season.  She has to chose between fish yields and rice yields. 

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I worked in Antarctica for a year and that is a completely wrong statement. Every day there was incredibly interesting and full of activity. When I came home I had to get used to the far more boring lifestyle.

A totally frozen continent with some whale watching, kayaking the open ocean, some snow covered scenery, and penguins. If you're involved in scientific research I guess you can keep busy but what else to do? It would get pretty boring with the few things there. Might be less boring than here but that's not saying much. It's usually below freezing most of the year, and most days are around 0, and that leaves out outside activities unless you keep moving and stick to those few I mentioned. Any state in the US and Canada makes both places look extremely dull.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thais too. In the village there were no walls around the living area, but in Lamphun the in laws house was very poorly ventilated and the kitchen had been enclosed.

Yes, unfortunately the traditional (and cooler) way of living has been lost over the years. As you say, traditionally there were no walls to block a breeze, houses were up on stilts, houses had big high pitched roofs, high ceilings, wide eves etc. 

Nowadays it a hot box with an air conditioner.

This time of year it’s better to wake up around 5.30am do the work that you need to do around house, garden, farm, fishponds etc. Then enjoy a coffee, breakfast, visit to Tesco, by now it 11.00am time to watch the arvo news from home, now a spot of lunch. Time for a shower and a siesta with the air on, wake up and have missed the worst of the day.

The sun is now the other side of the house sit out the back a few coldies in the shade, nip into town a couple more with a few mates, back for the evening meal, catch up on Netflix till about 11 or 12 then into bed.

Much prefer it in December and January though.

Had a heap of rain, dam is full and the paddy fields have about 300mm of water.

I suppose coming from Oz I don’t notice the heat and humidity so much like the whining Poms.

Probably get rain up here at some point in every 24 hours.  Every morning the sky is clear but by the late afternoon rain comes.

Been sweating like a whore in church most days but I find the easiest thing to do is keep calm and carry on moving about as little as poss. I have a lawn to mow later at about 5.30 , then cold ginger beer and a ciggie , dinner after cooling down.