How can i get m money out of thai bank- without travel to Thailand?

26 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You dont make it clear if you have access to your account, via online or mobile banking ?? 

If not, no your going to be very stuck. If so, you might be able to use a 3rd party service, or have a friend help. My bank Kasikorn allows international transfers, I think up to 500k per time. 

Was there any prior processs involved with K Bank setting up for international transfer or can one just randomly log in and send money to where ever in the world ?

There will always be people on here who said that they did xyz easily in Thailand, but what they won't mention is that they did it 15 years ago . However, if you walk into a bank in Thailand today and try to open a few accounts and start doing international transfers, you've got no chance unless the branch manager is related to your wife. The first thing they do is ask for a work permit, hoping you won't have it. Then, like my Irish friend who had one, they will just keep asking for additional paperwork until they find something you don't have. They don't want to help you.

They don't want to open accounts for foreigners. I am 99% sure that the banks here are operating on some directive from the government about not accepting business from farang. 

Call me paranoid if you want but I have spoken to dozens of people here who have experienced the same thing, and I hate having to traipse around dozens of banks before finding one who will very begrudgingly open a very basic savings account for me.  

Edited by SteveK

I was going to use DeeMoney but wound up using my ATM card.  The biggest stumbling block is that so much of the online solutions require a Thai phone number so they can send you an OTP.  Even trying to change your phone number will probably require an OTP.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

There will always be people on here who said that they did xyz easily in Thailand, but what they won't mention is that they did it 15 years ago . However, if you walk into a bank in Thailand today and try to open a few accounts and start doing international transfers, you've got no chance unless the branch manager is related to your wife. The first thing they do is ask for a work permit, hoping you won't have it. Then, like my Irish friend who had one, they will just keep asking for additional paperwork until they find something you don't have. They don't want to help you.

They don't want to open accounts for foreigners. I am 99% sure that the banks here are operating on some directive from the government about not accepting business from farang. 

Call me paranoid if you want but I have spoken to dozens of people here who have experienced the same thing, and I hate having to traipse around dozens of banks before finding one who will very begrudgingly open a very basic savings account for me.  

I've opened a savings account in Krungsri just 1 year ago, work permit was the only needed document, besides the passport of course.

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I've opened 2 accounts at BKB & SCB with only one hiccup...The first BKB (most used be me) wanted a residence certificate notarized by the US consulate along with several other "required" forms she flashed in front of me from a loose leaf binder with the names blotted out....

I said thank you, drove down the road to the next BKB branch & walked out with a newly opened account book and ATM card.....Used my lease copy, drivers licence, and my passport.....Same as I had at the branch that turned me away...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I've opened 2 accounts at BKB & SCB with only one hiccup...The first BKB (most used be me) wanted a residence certificate notarized by the US consulate along with several other "required" forms she flashed in front of me from a loose leaf binder with the names blotted out....

I said thank you, drove down the road to the next BKB branch & walked out with a newly opened account book and ATM card.....Used my lease copy, drivers licence, and my passport.....Same as I had at the branch that turned me away...

That is the big problem here in Thailand.

None of the people in charge of a Bank - government agency or anything you can name, knows the rules.

However, they should if they are in such a position. so they make up their own rules on the spot.

I have had good experience with over bluffing them, in most of those places, but you really have to stand your ground.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dabhand said:

No personal visit required. All done online / mobile contact. Really simple process.

I signed up with DeeMoney a few weeks back and all done without any need of a branch visit. Then arranged a transfer to my UK bank (just a test with about Bt20k) using the DM app and my Thai bank app (QR code). Hit my UK bank account next working day, as advertised.

You must have had special arrangements made for you? When signing-up, their website specifically states that they will need to arrange a convenient place for a personal meeting.

Edit:  After speaking to them it seems that their website is not exactly accurate!  No personal visit is required, as you said.

Screenshot (17).png

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, Susco said:

they make up their own rules on the spot

true. i had experience that proves it.

i asked to send money to china. one banker did it and filled the forms, than

handed it over to the superviser. the superviser said no cannot send in yuan, must send

in Usd. I insisted on yuan to save on exchange rate, than another banker came, much more tough,

and told me i cannot do it because of bla bla bla and literally rejected each and every

possibility to send the money, just 2000 USD.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:18 AM, bkk6060 said:

What is the problem with this?

I transferred 600,000 b back to the US from my Bangkok bank account when the baht hit around 33 a few months back.  Took about 3 days into my Chase account.

Just did it online there was a 200,000 b a day maximum.

DO you have work permit?

than you can do it on line.

but even with work permit, i will need my thai phone no. and it

does not work now while i am abroad.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:22 AM, SteveK said:

proof of the source of the funds and when asked how I would prove that it came from savings, I got a disinterested shrug and waved away.

this is just amazing...typical thai arrogance...

basic principal in banking is allowing the customer access to his funds.

they simply do not care

about you, they surely know how it can be done, but they will not tell you.

• Like 1

i transferred 20k GBP from here to UK, couple years ago
no work permit, not asked to provide source of funds
although funds were in an FCD account which shouldn't make any difference really

afaicr the form you must fill, which was more just a declaration
was for amounts over 1.5 million or $50k equivalent (had that once when withdrawing here)

On 7/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, SteveK said:

because they want proof of the source of the funds and when asked how I would prove that it came from savings, I got a disinterested shrug and waved away. 

When a bank is asking for that the real queston they are establishing is do you have a tor tor sam (old style) or FETF to show the funds were not domestic sourced.. If they are domestic sourced show the tax paid (house sale) or work permit. I have been sending in larger chunks for years instead of dribs and drabs and have a stack of tor tor sam's and FETF's in my safe deposit box.. 

14 hours ago, dabhand said:

No WP required for my DeeMoney registration / transfer to UK.

that is helpfull. so there is a way out of thailand after all.

as usual, the banks makes things much harder than they should, just

because...they are banks !!!

but...are you sure about it? they did not ask for any other paper bla bla bla?

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

I hoped I will find an answer here. But I only found a lot of confusing and conflicting information ????

the source of the confusion is one guy who said he could send money

out of kasikorn bank without WP. that is not true.

the news is that DEEMONEY does not require WP.

however, my question was how can i send my money out of my thai bank,

without having to travel to thailand, and without having a work permit.

gees, i did not see this situation coming.

• Like 1