Immigration officials in Nonthaburi accused of asking for a 20,000 Baht bribe

Never had a problem in Nonthaburi, and am able to get there for 10 THB.  1000 times better than CM.  Haven't been to CW in 22 years of coming here, but at best case, it is way out of the way, and often mobbed.  Nonth wouldn't do my extension 42 days early, without flight itenerary, but that is simply their rule that was not needed to be modified.  Shame on anyone, who would take a job, where they are expected to fight the red tape on their own.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Some immigration offices are now asking for bribes even when you make a completely legitimate application . 14 K for giving you a stamp that you are entitled to get 

That is crazy.........

Fortunately for me I have a good immigration office, they always sort my paperwork and photocopy any additional stuff needed, like bank book pages, albeit it we try every year to get it to perfection, they go out of their way, and have only every asked for 1,500 baht for petrol 3 hour return trip to come out to the property and another time when the wife forgot the photos on a Friday, the guy said you can LINE them to me and I will send it in on Monday for you, 500 baht will cover it, wife wanted to drive back home and come back on Monday, I said you are kidding me, a 3 hour return trip plus petrol, hardly worth the bother, give him 500 baht and send him the photo's, another time I gave one of the guys 300 baht when I collected my extension a month later as he went out of his way to correct a few things with my application, to which he appreciated.

The above said, it's really chicken feed for what we get, including the fee, but as soon as someone tries to put it on big, they will get an ugly surprise. 

• Sad 1

If all legit complaints  were reported via the  number advertised in  every Immigration Office  the apparent volume of accusations might have  some positive effect!.

Given there seem to be so many complaints about approaches  to  various offices resulting in said complaint but  as  of today have immunity against need to proceed why  not lodge  objection?

Or is the  truth of it that  many are attempting  dodgy circumvention but want it on the  cheap? Only  you  know.!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You realize that this money goes in their pocket? The government pays their fuel.

It looks like every time they ask you for money you pay. Don't be surprised if in the future they create arbitrary problems with your application and offer to make this problem go away for a fee. People like you are the reason why many people have problems with legit requests.

Like I said, it's chicken feed, and in 5 years of doing this it has cost me very little, i.e. 1,500 for the first year and from what I hear most offices do this, 3rd year wife forgot photos so the 500 baht saved me a 3 hour return trip on Monday, and the 300 baht tip I gave the guy last year, he didn't ask for it, I think things are under control, and won't blow up with this office, like I said if they try it on, it will be their last.

The above said, Thailand is full of corruption, you cannot stamp it out, just look at the police force, useless lot they are and the government won't change things, so learn to go with the flow, but don't be a mug, chicken feed it is ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Immigration officials in Nonthaburi accused of asking for a 20,000 Baht bribe

Why you call it a bribe? They've done a service for you that normally would be very difficult to get done.

You should be happy and thank them for that excellent convenient service.

• Like 1

Just now, spiekerjozef said:

Why you call it a bribe? They've done a service for you that normally would be very difficult to get done.

Rubbish. 

They do the same even if you meet requirements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

I do believe that we are talking about people whos papers are all in order and there shouldnt be any difficulty in getting visas .

I am legally entitled to get an Ed Visa issued from within Thailand , but the I.O refuse to carry out their task unless they get a bribe 

• Like 1

at the end of the day what do you want  ?   this kinda thing annoys me because you complain but you like cheap fines ... backhanders,  you like being treated with less money ... you are a cheap charlie imo and that's why Thai's and Thai IO despise farang.   imo  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

at the end of the day what do you want  ?   this kinda thing annoys me because you complain but you like cheap fines ... backhanders,  you like being treated with less money ... you are a cheap charlie imo and that's why Thai's and Thai IO despise farang.   imo  

Would be be happy to pay a person 14 K to do his job, a job that he is already getting paid to do ?

14 K simply to put a stamp in your passport, a stamp you are entitled to get without the 14 K?

• Like 1

The fact is, we will all end up using government registered agents here for our extensions and new visa requirements, it will eventfully become a official requirement.  The sooner it happens the better, stop all this whining from people who don't seem to understand how it all works here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, beano2274 said:

Never had problems at Nonthaburi during my time there, the one eyed IO was always clued up and helpful, the older woman IO was also very good and also helpful.

Would help if you mention your extension.

Just a guess non o extension based on retirement.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

Visa agents are owned by the corrupt immigration.  An IO can determine by a simple look at your visa stamp which agent you used

Nonsense, it's a standard stamp. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

Nonsense, it's a standard stamp. 

I have a "friend" who is a plain clothes immigration officer, he looked at the retirement extension stamp in my foreign friend passport, and straight away told us which agency had arranged that extension.

Over to you

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1