Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

And therein lies one of the practical problems of Brexit. The UK simply does not have enough trained trade negotiatiors. It was, at best, naive to think that we could untangle our relationship with the EU, run simultaneous trade negotiations with the US et al and successfully conclude all this in 11 months.

No doubt there will be face saving 'arrangements' on the free exchange of tin tacks or such like, 'oven ready' by the end of the year - and heralded by Johnson as the start of the bright new future - but the likelihood of any comprehensive trade treaties being agreed by year-end is, realistically, virtually zero. 

Not to forget the many laws who has to replsced or rubber stamped as now U.K. laws ...

I dont know how in Britain ...but in Europe laws are given power by voting them in parlement ...so overtime for the mp's probably needed .

They underestimated big the task of a 40 years membership....

But of course they always expected that all stayed as before ....whitout a membership needed as before ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RayC said:

Then why promise more than you know that it's possible to deliver (oven ready deals).

No point suggesting that you will win the (able bodied) World Cup if your keeper has no arms and your star striker has one leg.

He was talking cricket terms, I think. Regardless, I think they have longer memories than this implies: New Zealand happy to forget the UK's 'betrayal' <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44210833>. interesting comment at the end of the article 'Four-and-a-half decades after a nasty divorce the UK is reaching out to New Zealand again. The irony of this volte-face isn't lost on many Kiwis, but you'll find few here who still bear a grudge.

A NZ-UK trade deal will be a priority for post-Brexit UK, according to Theresa May's government. As it looks for new partners, a faraway friend it spurned in the past could perhaps help it embrace the challenges ahead'. (end quote). That was written in May 2018. I can understand the frustration of NZ trade negotiators with the lack of progress by the UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I wonder how Winston expects "match fitness" after 47 years in the EU where practising is banned? No nets, trials and especially friendlies. 

I think he more pointed /complained about the negtiatons between U.K and New zealand also not progressing and hence made "cricket "remark...

Lucky the E.U  exist ,as who else to blame  by mr. Nausues for the brexit disaster ....

????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Then why promise more than you know that it's possible to deliver (oven ready deals).

No point suggesting that you will win the (able bodied) World Cup if your keeper has no arms and your star striker has one leg.

Promises? A few were made by elements of both sides. I didn't take any notice of any of them.

31 minutes ago, david555 said:

I think he more pointed /complained about the negtiatons between U.K and New zealand also not progressing and hence made "cricket "remark...

Lucky the E.U  exist ,as who else to blame  by mr. Nausues for the brexit disaster ....

????

Probably rugby union but it doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Not to forget the many laws who has to replsced or rubber stamped as now U.K. laws ...

I dont know how in Britain ...but in Europe laws are given power by voting them in parlement ...so overtime for the mp's probably needed .

They underestimated big the task of a 40 years membership....

But of course they always expected that all stayed as before ....whitout a membership needed as before ...

The don't do overtime. They just speed up the voting (rubber stamp machine) so they don't miss their free evening cocktails. 

• Haha 1

I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, and all of them have a similarity.

Once you realize that you've made a mistake, it's usually too late.

Let's be honest. The UK left Germany in a desolate situation to pay way more than they already do. Is that fair?

What if Germany would have left the Chaos?

How many more Ex- East Iron Curtain Countries need support from Germany? How can German tax payers keep up with all that fuss? 

The rich have their "tax managers" who do all that they ( the rich) don't pay taxes. Almost all in my family do that, saving rich people a ton of cash, but I don't like the idea. 

And that increases by the hour. ( From: http://www.iconnectblog.com/2016/12/uk-learns-brexit-is-easier-said-than-done/

When Prime Minister Theresa May took over as the leader of the British Conservative Party and prime minister of the United Kingdom in July, she famously said, “Brexit means Brexit.”

Her words were meant to assure the Conservative members of parliament and voters who had supported the Leave option in the June 23rd referendum that, although she had supported the Remain option, she would respect the decision of the voters to leave the European Union.

But six months have passed since the referendum, the UK still has not notified the European Council under the terms of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union of its intention to withdraw, a variety of political and legal obstacles have arisen, and PM May’s catchy sound bite now strikes one as not only tautological but vacuous; it has become increasingly clear that the UK government still does not know precisely what Brexit means.

And as it continues to search for the elusive meaning, it is discovering that Brexit, whatever it means, will be easier said than done.

The UK government does not know precisely what Brexit means. I love it. 

Beatles forgot their mask.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

He was talking cricket terms, I think. Regardless, I think they have longer memories than this implies: New Zealand happy to forget the UK's 'betrayal' <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44210833>. interesting comment at the end of the article 'Four-and-a-half decades after a nasty divorce the UK is reaching out to New Zealand again. The irony of this volte-face isn't lost on many Kiwis, but you'll find few here who still bear a grudge.

A NZ-UK trade deal will be a priority for post-Brexit UK, according to Theresa May's government. As it looks for new partners, a faraway friend it spurned in the past could perhaps help it embrace the challenges ahead'. (end quote). That was written in May 2018. I can understand the frustration of NZ trade negotiators with the lack of progress by the UK.

think you,ll find in buisness money rises above the sentiments of the proverbial "man in the street"

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The don't do overtime. They just speed up the voting (rubber stamp machine) so they don't miss their free evening cocktails. 

think maybe humble me ought to aim for becoming the MP for John O'Groat

considering free Dry Martinis (one of the real usefull things they do in the uS) it just might be worth it

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

think maybe humble me ought to aim for becoming the MP for John O'Groat

considering free Dry Martinis (one of the real usefull things they do in the uS) it just might be worth it

It's a good number no doubt. 

7 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Let's be honest. The UK left Germany in a desolate situation to pay way more than they already do. Is that fair?

How many more Ex- East Iron Curtain Countries need support from Germany? How can German tax payers keep up with all that fuss? 

The rich have their "tax managers" who do all that they ( the rich) don't pay taxes. Almost all in my family do that, saving rich people a ton of cash, but I don't like the idea. 

And that increases by the hour. ( From: http://www.iconnectblog.com/2016/12/uk-learns-brexit-is-easier-said-than-done/

When Prime Minister Theresa May took over as the leader of the British Conservative Party and prime minister of the United Kingdom in July, she famously said, “Brexit means Brexit.”

Her words were meant to assure the Conservative members of parliament and voters who had supported the Leave option in the June 23rd referendum that, although she had supported the Remain option, she would respect the decision of the voters to leave the European Union.

But six months have passed since the referendum, the UK still has not notified the European Council under the terms of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union of its intention to withdraw, a variety of political and legal obstacles have arisen, and PM May’s catchy sound bite now strikes one as not only tautological but vacuous; it has become increasingly clear that the UK government still does not know precisely what Brexit means.

And as it continues to search for the elusive meaning, it is discovering that Brexit, whatever it means, will be easier said than done.

"i,ve made many mistakes in my life " not me .....mistakes i made a few but then again to few to mention,and did it my way.

8 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I'm fond of the fashion and style of the 60s and 70s as I lived it.  Not something I would want to go back to but my top cheesy 70s items of clothing were my Birmingham Bags and knitted tank tops, adorned with shoulder-length hair.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I'm fond of the fashion and style of the 60s and 70s as I lived it.  Not something I would want to go back to but my top cheesy 70s items of clothing were my Birmingham Bags and knitted tank tops, adorned with shoulder-length hair.  

& flares

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Nothing confusing about your post - as they used to say on 'Thank your lucky Stars' ;  ''I'll give it five''. The biggest story about Brexit is not 'we won'.  It is that Britain acted like a spoiled brat, without regard for it's former friends.            Re-reading that comment about NZ being betrayed says a lot about Britain's care for little else than its own political and economic gratification, throughout history. The way I see it, NZ pulled its economy up by its bootstraps. With 97%  of exports going to countriess other than Britain, it is now in a dominant position in trade negotiations. Say (blue) cheese. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingdong said:

think you,ll find in buisness money rises above the sentiments of the proverbial "man in the street"

I agree - except the comments 'by the man in the street' carry the weight of him being the Deputy PM of New Zealand.

• Like 2

(Did the U.K. put  that white bedsheet really already in the laundry  ?......Do not forget to iron it   )  :wink:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/13/brexit-trade-deal-can-done-september-says-uk-chief-negotiator/

Brexit trade deal can be done by September, says UK chief negotiator 
David Frost says 'our assessment is that agreement can be reached in September, and we will work to achieve this if we can' 

By James Crisp, 
Brussels Correspondent 
13 August 2020 • 5:03pm 

The UK's chief Brexit negotiator said on Thursday that a free trade agreement with the European Union could be agreed in September, as Ireland's prime minister said a "landing zone" for the deal had emerged. 

British and EU officials meet in Brussels for the seventh round of trade talks next week after a fortnight break following five weeks of intensified negotiations.Michel Barnier, the EU's chief negotiator, has set an end of October deadline for the trade deal to be finalised, which is supported by influential member states such as Germany. 

Ireland's Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, met Boris Johnson for talks on Thursday in Hillsborough, Northern Ireland (see video below). He said both sides knew that they needed to avoid the economic shock of a no trade deal Brexit after the coronavirus crisis. 

More...

(in this comments posts it seems the hard brexiteers dont trust Boris anymore .... it's fun to read..)????
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/13/brexit-trade-deal-can-done-september-says-uk-chief-negotiator/#comment

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Did the U.K. put  that white bedsheet really already in the laundry  ?......Do not forget to iron it   )

always wait for the last-minute demands

Edited by Opl

Interesting article in today's Independent by Denis MacShane, a former Minister of State for Europe in Blair's government.

What kind of Brexit will we get? Boris Johnson has 10 options to ponder before the end of the year. He concludes

These are Mr Johnson’s political Brexit options if he can find the spare time given all the other crises he has on his plate. Brexit will be about politics and requires political decisions of a high order, not technical fixes by trade negotiators

Before anyone dismisses his views because he had to resign his seat and then served time for fraudulent accounting, let me paraphrase @evadgib:- content, not author.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 8/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, david555 said:

(Did the U.K. put  that white bedsheet really already in the laundry  ?......Do not forget to iron it   )  :wink:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/13/brexit-trade-deal-can-done-september-says-uk-chief-negotiator/

Brexit trade deal can be done by September, says UK chief negotiator 
David Frost says 'our assessment is that agreement can be reached in September, and we will work to achieve this if we can' 

By James Crisp, 
Brussels Correspondent 
13 August 2020 • 5:03pm 

The UK's chief Brexit negotiator said on Thursday that a free trade agreement with the European Union could be agreed in September, as Ireland's prime minister said a "landing zone" for the deal had emerged. 

British and EU officials meet in Brussels for the seventh round of trade talks next week after a fortnight break following five weeks of intensified negotiations.Michel Barnier, the EU's chief negotiator, has set an end of October deadline for the trade deal to be finalised, which is supported by influential member states such as Germany. 

Ireland's Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, met Boris Johnson for talks on Thursday in Hillsborough, Northern Ireland (see video below). He said both sides knew that they needed to avoid the economic shock of a no trade deal Brexit after the coronavirus crisis. 

More...

(in this comments posts it seems the hard brexiteers dont trust Boris anymore .... it's fun to read..)????
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/13/brexit-trade-deal-can-done-september-says-uk-chief-negotiator/#comment

I guess they will come up with some diplomatic formulation, such as the ECJ will only supervise part of the deal, I.e. 90%. ????

On 7/22/2020 at 7:23 AM, ukrules said:

Remember what I said in this thread today because you're in for the shock of your life in August ????

I'll come back here in a few weeks to see how things are turning out.....

Here we are a few weeks later, many things have changed.

The Home Office is pressing ahead with the deportation of asylum seekers who have recently arrived to the UK in small boats, despite mounting concern about the safety and legitimacy of carrying out removals at a time when coronavirus rates across Europe are rising.

Source : https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-seekers-uk-home-office-deport-flights-immigration-a9676461.html

It begins...the gloves are off, this is just the beginning. They're all going back.