Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Everyone, including Thatcher, called it a rebate, that's good enough for me.

But whatever you want to call it, it was deducted before we paid, so we did not pay £350 million per week; that was a lie.

I wont mention the money we did get back in research grants, farm subsidies etc.

No, The UK paid the full amount in one year and the following year the UK got the reduction and so paid less that year , due to overpaying the previous year

• Like 1

history history history history --- soon we go back to Stonehenge and BC (ie before cider)

nee wish to look ahead --- no wonder stumbling follows

you should at least be glad that you are not Norwegian

why? Norway is the land of saying no thank you to EU and European happiness TWICE, and still breathes

on the other hand there are many 49ers in Norway, difficult to master as they are they are still quite popular

Keir Starmer crisis: Damaging poll will worry Labour as Boris Johnson EXTENDS his lead

SIR Keir Starmer is struggling to make headway almost six months after being elected leader of the Labour Party, a new poll has indicated.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1324923/keir-starmer-news-labour-party-poll-conservative-party-boris-johnson-education
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The opposition did oppose May's deal and try to make amendments to it.

But if Johnson, Rees-Mogg and the ERG had voted with May then her deal would have passed.

We will never know if Labour had won last December whether or not they would have presented May's deal with a few tweaks to the EU.

We do know that Johnson did exactly that!

if you are talking about the package that PM TM presented in the Mach / April time frame I might agree with you,

that package very clearly had the potential for reasonably quickly being negotiated into smth signable

best chance UK ever had

no deal is better than bad deal --- triple sheyte

Come Xmas and UK with no deal ---UK will make herself silly (again) to the whole world

about time to start using the pencil sharpeners . . . .

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Can you not be bothered to read the information from Vote.Leave provided; or have you read it and simply cannot admit that you were wrong?

The information was provided by the Government, but YOU keep talking about Cummings, he is an employee of the Government. Now go back and un-twist....????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I would like to say that it's amazing that you have dodged a question with a reply you now claim was 'tongue in cheek banter!'

But it happens so often it's not amazing; it's expected.

Perhaps you don't realise that other folk don't twist stuff like yourself....????

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, transam said:

More "Independent" assumptions.......????

Looking at threads about brexit, looking at the disregard brexiteers have for the economic effects, looking at posts about immigration, my conclusion. So yes, very independent, but not Independent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

An endless supply of cheap Eastern European labour may be good for big businesses , but its not good for British people looking for jobs .

The UK needs to train its own young workforce , rather than just importing cheap workers

Please don't pretend brexit will be good for the UK economy. The reason for brexit is clear, immigration.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Please don't pretend brexit will be good for the UK economy. The reason for brexit is clear, immigration.

That was one of the reasons .

Although I do not make the claim to speak on behalf of 17 million Brexit voters and give their reasons as to why they voted , I have no idea why everyone voted the way they did , I havent asked them all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RayC said:

We've been here before. I've acknowledged previously that both parties will suffer; to say otherwise is a falsehood.

Given that - and that 'leavers' continually insist that they knew what they were voting for - the only logical conclusion is that 'leavers' are economic sado-masochists: 'We will suffer but you will suffer more' (Imo very unlikely).

The loss of the UK contribution is now basically irrelevant; the EU have agreed the budget for the next 7 year cycle.

The EU was willing to walk away from the TTIP negotiations with the US because it could not accept US demands. Given that, do you really honestly think it wouldn't be willing to do the same during these negotiations?

Well there you have it - the main reasons for leave votes were not economic - but that's all remainers have to talk about.

The loss of the UK contribution is entirely relevant; the recently bartered EU budget/Covid fund created even more angst and disharmony within the sacred onion.

The EU may be willing to walk away from another negotiation. However, I expect that pressure from German industry will prevail in the end and that means some kind of deal will be made eventually.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Not asking you to do that, simply asking for your opinion. Odd that you are so free with it in other circumstances, but can't offer one now! Actually, no, it's not odd at all.

I was thinking of tonight's estimated £99 million Euro lottery. But were you able to purchase a ticket, you probably wouldn't as it has the word 'Euro' in it's title!

If you think a FTA doesn't have rules agreed to by both parties, then you really are as naïve as your posts suggest!

You may have voted for a no deal Brexit, assuming you did actually vote; but most people voted for what Vote.Leave promised. All the benefits of membership without any of the responsibilities. (See many posts passim for proof.)

I did give you my opinion, which you then referred to. But you were too busy twisting my post away that you ignored that and wandered off to check the EuroMillions value. I guess you didn't win that either.

FTAs don't have the same EU rules, especially after negotiation. If Barnier sees sense (and Macron lets him) he could walk away with a deal that is OK for the EU, but more importantly good for UK. If not, we are finally free with No Deal. They can all start negotiations again, against the UK as a fully independent sovereign state. 

Leavers voted for many things, but none of them included a BRINO disguised as a deal. There are not that many benefits to the Single Market and Customs Union but far too many EU responsibilities. The UK and its' economy will be better off out of it. Thank god for JRM and the ERG. Dominic Cummings too!

Don't you like Chubby Checker? Here's another twister for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Boris said in his Telegraph article and on his bus that we paid £350 million a week to the EU. We didn't. We paid £350 million a week minus the rebate negotiated by Thatcher!

We didn't pay £350 million a week and then get £75 million a week refunded; the rebate was deducted before we paid.

This rebate was irreversible, we never would have lost it had we remained a member.

£350 Million minus the rebate does not equal £350 million.

£275 million is a big enough figure; one has to wonder why Johnson and his boss at Vote.Leave found it necessary to lie.

Never mind the pedantry. Red the top line:

image.png.bcbc1b5ddfe2b00c9197fbd05fd3356a.png

17.4 Billion is about 350 Million per week.

Rebates come and go. They will never be irreversible with the crooks in Europe, who can simply increase our contribution when they like. 

EU spending in the UK is all our own money trickling back to EU causes, which will be now decided by the UK not Brussels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There will be plenty of other political and economic benefits, plus your cream on the top. 

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

That was one of the reasons .

Although I do not make the claim to speak on behalf of 17 million Brexit voters and give their reasons as to why they voted , I have no idea why everyone voted the way they did , I havent asked them all

Nor has he........????

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

he will never be in no10 as its all bluff from lefty journos bigging up sir wooden head ,hes under orders of the unions and never can escape them ..bojo will be back in power at the next GE

I used to vote Tory, 30 years ago, but now I wouldn't vote for anyone.

It's true what you say about Labour & the unions, but it's just big business that has the Tories in their pockets/corruption.

I believe that every penny involved in politics a should be accounted for and that it's public money.

What's called bribery & corruption in Thailand is called a 'donation' in the UK.

I remember some years ago a Tory guy trying to convince people that the only reason people bribe the Tories is because they think their awfully nice chaps, they're giving them 10's of thousands and they do not expect anything whatsoever in return.