Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

as far as I remember I think the following is reasonably correct;

all Venn diagrams are also Eulerdiagrams.

some Eulerdiagrams are also Venn diagrams

in this particular case with somewhat "fuzzy" description of the sets

I think it would be appropriate to stick with Euler rather than Venn

Not in my book - Vendeals with possibilities whereas Eulers deal with existing fact.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

No.

He is simply not relevant any more.

His goal was to leave the EU. We are doing that. Ergo he campaigned himself out of a job.

Plenty of others will find themselves out of work because of Brexit. What makes Farage special that we should worry about him?

perhaps you,re worried because he's try ing to warn you of what is going to occur in the future and you and the rest of the rose tinted specs mob,aided and abetted by the " free press of the uk "what a <deleted> joke want to delude yourself into thinking the uks one big happy family,well dream on.

Edited by kingdong

8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Must have touched a raw one here.

So we are still in the EU despite on many occasions you declaring "We have left get over it"?

So you disagree with the idea of training up Brits to do the jobs the EU nationals were doing for us. Interesting.

I suspect walking into a deserted bar and drinking a 6 month out of date Leo would probably be heaven compared to where you are now in Brexit Britain.

However I do not frequent deserted bars. The bars I drink in at the weekends are quite busy. Also I do not drink Leo. A San Miguel light or a Heineken is my preferred beer.  Of course that is only until me and my friends decide to go onto the Scotch. Which is usually 12 year old Glenfiddich although we have upon occasion found other Scotch.

I will of course raise a glass to you this weekend my Brexit voting friend. Although we may differ on the subject of Brexit because I do not wish to see the UK economy harmed, we would probably agree on many other subjects. 

Oh and the weather over here is great by the way.   

glad to hear the weathers nice,and look forward to a post when you haven,t been slinging the gold watch down your scagg all night before commencing an assault on your keyboard.

Edited by kingdong
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, Rookiescot said:

So you have now moved the goalposts in your argument.

Now its not a case of having no money its now a case of not having much money.

If people are happy to accept that situation then its up to them. They should not be forced to work as you and CorpusChristi were suggesting. Because that is forced labour. A term which you refuse to come to terms with for some reason.

My reasons for living in Thailand are my own. I'm not in charge of the place so your last point is asinine. 

Well in that case every person working in Thailand is subject to forced labour since there is no social security to speak of. They don't work, they don't eat.

You know, the people serving you at 711, restaurants, gas stations. By your definition you make use of forced labour every day. Shame on you. ????

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well in that case every person working in Thailand is subject to forced labour since there is no social security to speak of. They don't work, they don't eat.

You know, the people serving you at 711, restaurants, gas stations. By your definition you make use of forced labour every day. Shame on you. ????

Actually there are many Thais who don't work but do eat. Their families feel obliged to support them. But you're right generally.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Interested to hear why you consider it to be a Euler diagram

Venn diagram = intersection contains Vulture capitalists, sadists  and other evil bastards + possibility of others 

Euler diagram = intersection contains only Vulture capitalists, sadists  and other evil bastards

Edited by tebee
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You want the UK to have the same Labour and social security structure as Thailand?

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Benefit fraud and errors accounts for 2.3 billion pounds in the UK.

Tax evasion and avoidance accounts for 70 billion pounds. Some estimates put the figure as high as 150 billion.

But you only see an issue with benefits.

If you dont have that safety net and people simply dont want to work get no money (as you propose with your idea of forced labour) then people will turn to criminal activities to get money.

Cost of keeping a prisoner incarcerated in the UK is 37500 pounds per year.

You see where I am going with this?

So for all your faux outrage at people getting money while being fit to work its actually cheaper to do so than have them all locked up. Then again faux outrage by the right wing while evading and avoiding tax is an excellent example of the hypocrisy they display on a daily basis. Another is claiming to be patriotic while voting for Brexit knowing it will harm the UK.

My reasons for living in Thailand are my business not yours. Stop second guessing as to my reason for being here.

I still pay tax in the UK and have no issues with that. If I was in Thailand to simply enjoy a cheap lifestyle I wouldnt be paying that tax now would I?

....& you have a straight face while typing?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Benefit fraud and errors accounts for 2.3 billion pounds in the UK.

Tax evasion and avoidance accounts for 70 billion pounds. Some estimates put the figure as high as 150 billion.

But you only see an issue with benefits.

If you dont have that safety net and people simply dont want to work get no money (as you propose with your idea of forced labour) then people will turn to criminal activities to get money.

Cost of keeping a prisoner incarcerated in the UK is 37500 pounds per year.

You see where I am going with this?

So for all your faux outrage at people getting money while being fit to work its actually cheaper to do so than have them all locked up. Then again faux outrage by the right wing while evading and avoiding tax is an excellent example of the hypocrisy they display on a daily basis. Another is claiming to be patriotic while voting for Brexit knowing it will harm the UK.

My reasons for living in Thailand are my business not yours. Stop second guessing as to my reason for being here.

I still pay tax in the UK and have no issues with that. If I was in Thailand to simply enjoy a cheap lifestyle I wouldnt be paying that tax now would I?

if your first set of figures for benefit fraud vs tax evasion are true to the point whoever can come up with these figures, why aren,t the authorities doing something about it or are these estimates simply a guess or worse a lie put up by someone with a vested interest like project fear for example.and your last post you mentioned about paying tax,do you pay it voluntarily or is it stopped at source,or perhaps when one takes up residence in los one is taxed in the uk for the privilege? as for locking people up for not working wouldn,t it be better to stop these economic migrants actually landing in the first place,you obviously are not up on,or choose to ignore the mass unemployment coming to the uk because of the corona pandemic which will conveniently for remainers coincide with the uk finally leaving the eu on 1st jan 2021,so at the moment contary to an earlier claim of yours we,re not out the eu yet,and you,ll be able to jump up and down screaming " we told you ", nigel farage is villified for trying to report on a disturbing and damaging subject which mainstream media are deliberately ignoring lets see how the british people react to this coming recession or will it be depression?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

This is a thread about Brexit and the prospect of a no deal yet you refer to riots by children of West Indian origin. You talk about Enoch Powell being right with his rivers of blood prophecy. He was not referring to immigrants from the EU. 

You've got deflection off to a tee. 

deflection,stemming from facts emanating from the brexit debate,my original response to your deflective comment was removed.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

if your first set of figures for benefit fraud vs tax evasion are true to the point whoever can come up with these figures, why aren,t the authorities doing something about it or are these estimates simply a guess or worse a lie put up by someone with a vested interest like project fear for example.and your last post you mentioned about paying tax,do you pay it voluntarily or is it stopped at source,or perhaps when one takes up residence in los one is taxed in the uk for the privilege? as for locking people up for not working wouldn,t it be better to stop these economic migrants actually landing in the first place,you obviously are not up on,or choose to ignore the mass unemployment coming to the uk because of the corona pandemic which will conveniently for remainers coincide with the uk finally leaving the eu on 1st jan 2021,so at the moment contary to an earlier claim of yours we,re not out the eu yet,and you,ll be able to jump up and down screaming " we told you ", nigel farage is villified for trying to report on a disturbing and damaging subject which mainstream media are deliberately ignoring lets see how the british people react to this coming recession or will it be depression?

Are you familiar with the words "structured paragraphs?".

Go and google the figures for yourself because no matter what source I put up you will instantly dismiss it as being biased.

I pay tax in the UK even though it would be very easy for me to avoid/evade it. Although to be honest I'm not sure why I am discussing it with you.

And then we are on to your favorite subject. Immigration.

Oh if only we could stop these immigrants the UK would be a land of milk and honey. Only problem is if we stop migrant workers we will have to turn the unemployed in the UK into forced labour to counter the shortages of workers we will now face. Really smacks of the behavior of somewhere like North Korea or even 1930's Germany that doesn't it?

Ah so we are facing an unemployment Armageddon because of corona? Just remind me who was in power and had the ability to control the pandemic? Oh that would be your mate Johnson. Yes he certainly got on top of that crisis in a hurry and acted quickly to prevent it becoming a massive problem. Oh no wait. He didn't did he? He managed to dither for months before finally catching it himself. By then of course the entire thing was out of control. Even though he had the benefit of actually seeing what was already occurring in Italy and Spain. Cant blame the EU for that one.

Then of course we will finally leave the EU in January with no deal. Its what you guys voted for. After all you knew what you were voting for.

Now while we are trying to recover from the mishandled corona crises we are going to have another crises lumped on top of that. The perfect storm. Thing is the corona pandemic is a random event. Difficult to see that coming. The damage from Brexit is self inflicted and anyone could see that coming.

You still banging on about Farage and his car park activities? Really? If you are in contact with him please ask him how many passports he holds. Ask him if he is still taking money from the EU parliament. Ask him why he is so bereft of work he has time on his hands. 

I do hope he is not claiming unemployment benefits.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Are you familiar with the words "structured paragraphs?".

Go and google the figures for yourself because no matter what source I put up you will instantly dismiss it as being biased.

I pay tax in the UK even though it would be very easy for me to avoid/evade it. Although to be honest I'm not sure why I am discussing it with you.

And then we are on to your favorite subject. Immigration.

Oh if only we could stop these immigrants the UK would be a land of milk and honey. Only problem is if we stop migrant workers we will have to turn the unemployed in the UK into forced labour to counter the shortages of workers we will now face. Really smacks of the behavior of somewhere like North Korea or even 1930's Germany that doesn't it?

Ah so we are facing an unemployment Armageddon because of corona? Just remind me who was in power and had the ability to control the pandemic? Oh that would be your mate Johnson. Yes he certainly got on top of that crisis in a hurry and acted quickly to prevent it becoming a massive problem. Oh no wait. He didn't did he? He managed to dither for months before finally catching it himself. By then of course the entire thing was out of control. Even though he had the benefit of actually seeing what was already occurring in Italy and Spain. Cant blame the EU for that one.

Then of course we will finally leave the EU in January with no deal. Its what you guys voted for. After all you knew what you were voting for.

Now while we are trying to recover from the mishandled corona crises we are going to have another crises lumped on top of that. The perfect storm. Thing is the corona pandemic is a random event. Difficult to see that coming. The damage from Brexit is self inflicted and anyone could see that coming.

You still banging on about Farage and his car park activities? Really? If you are in contact with him please ask him how many passports he holds. Ask him if he is still taking money from the EU parliament. Ask him why he is so bereft of work he has time on his hands. 

I do hope he is not claiming unemployment benefits.    

if buts and maybes,johnson was in a position where he couldn,t do right for doing wrong,suppose you think he should have spent every waking moment of the day single handedly developing a vaccine,its a worldwide pandemic if you haven't noticed,i suppose corbyn would have handled it a lot better.querying your sources?bit hard to do that when you don't put one up.and immigration,wondered when the race card would be played,have no problems with controlled immigration such as the polnts system australia has and enforces,not like this country that supplies a shuttle service across the English channel for them,nigel farage is doing a public service alerting the public to this problem.if you don,t want to discuss your tax affairs can i suggest you don't post them on public forumns and imply you have a choice in the matter and are doing it out the goodness of your heart ,going to work now so wish you a good night.

2 minutes ago, kingdong said:

if buts and maybes,johnson was in a position where he couldn,t do right for doing wrong,suppose you think he should have spent every waking moment of the day single handedly developing a vaccine,its a worldwide pandemic if you haven't noticed,i suppose corbyn would have handled it a lot better.querying your sources?bit hard to do that when you don't put one up.and immigration,wondered when the race card would be played,have no problems with controlled immigration such as the polnts system australia has and enforces,not like this country that supplies a shuttle service across the English channel for them,nigel farage is doing a public service alerting the public to this problem.if you don,t want to discuss your tax affairs can i suggest you don't post them on public forumns and imply you have a choice in the matter and are doing it out the goodness of your heart ,going to work now so wish you a good night.

Ok so the words "structured paragraphs" did not ring a bell did it?

Johnson was in a position as PM to protect the UK from the ravages of corona (because all you Brexiteers put him there) and made a total mess of it. He could see what was happening in Italy and Spain yet sat there doing nothing constructive at all. This is why the UK ran out off PPE. And testing kits. And ventilators. And why hundreds of old people were discharged from hospitals into nursing homes to infect everyone in there. You dont get away from Johnsons incompetence just by typing stuff like "He could do no right" and "I suppose he should have been developing a vaccine himself" and my personal favourite "Corbyn would have done better? Yeah right".

I have deliberately not put up a source for the figures regarding tax evasion and avoidance. Even though there are many on google. Including the governments own. Because any source I put up you will immediately dismiss as biased. So choose your own.

I do have a choice with my tax. I chose to continue to pay it because thats the right thing to do. I care about my country. I want my country to have a funded police, army, NHS and all the other stuff that needs paying for.

Sorry to hear you have to go work. But at least you have a job in these difficult circumstances. Which is a good thing.

I retired when I was still in my late 40's. I think I may have been luckier than others.

Anyway dont work too hard and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The choices for the lazy aren't just to claim benefits or be a criminal. There is a third option. Working. Seeing as we have hundreds of thousands unemployed and we also have (according to Remainers) a problem if EU workers leave unskilled jobs such as picking fruit post Brexit, how about we get the lazy UK unemployed citizens working picking fruit? Reducing their benefits might encourage them to get off their asses and get some exercise and earn some cash and some self respect at the same time. It would also benefit the country hugely, although I know you wouldn't want to see that as you seem to despise the majority of it's population and would love it to fail to prove yourself correct.

You seem to be very careful about not exposing yourself by being honest about your reasons for being here. Your reluctance is intriguing. I suspect if the reasons were entirely virtuous you'd be screaming from the rooftops as you normally do when you think you have the moral high ground. It's just strange that someone who claims to be so moral and upstanding chooses a developing country with huge numbers of people partaking in "forced labour" (your definition not mine), as their place of residence. For such a self righteous Social Justice Warrior who spends all day worrying about others it must be hugely demoralizing to have teenage "forced labour" filling up your gas tank for you, wai'ing you as they serve you your aged Glenfiddich etc.

Or maybe, just maybe you're just another "liberal" Woke hypocrite who enjoys virtue signalling on ThaiVisa but secretly enjoys the fruits of this "forced labour" that you so love to decry? 

So your answer to the chaos caused by Brexit is to force people to work for peanuts or lose their benefits? Take us down to the level of developing nations? What could possibly go wrong with that? Well maybe mass riots for a start. Your little pipe dream of forcing people to work is never going to happen. Ever. It might sound good in your local pub when talking to your fellow right wing Brexiteers but in the real world its a complete non starter.

Anything else you would like to see started? How about starting an organisation called the Johnson Youth?

Denouncing your friends, neighbors and work colleagues for not being Brexit enough?

If I wanted to see the UK fail then I would have voted for Brexit.

My reasons for being in Thailand are not your business. I know its driving you nuts because you think you know the reasons but you could not be further from the truth.

I dont run Thailand. I have no say in their labour or welfare rules and you need to worry less about Thailand and more about the UK and the damage to you have caused it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RayC said:

It's difficult to comment on the article directly as it is behind a paywall.

However, your premise and conclusion - there doesn't appear to be an argument - are ridiculous. It is delusional to think that an industry that contributes +/-1% of the EU's total GDP will cause the bloc to fail economically. 

How long before others follow our lead & who will be next? ?????????????????????????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Brexit requires no answer. My answer to unemployment and EU workers returning home would be to offer these jobs to the healthy unemployed in the UK and drastically reduce their benefits if they turned it down. I worked my whole life, laboring for brickies on building sites between the terms to put myself through University and I detest the benefits culture of some communities in the UK. Maybe if I was a silver spooner I could wring my hands at the injustice of it all with my Champagne quaffing chums but I know how easy it is to get a job if you really want one, I always had one within days of returning back to my home town from London. There were millions unemployed at the time.

Your reasons for coming to a developing country where are large proportion of the population who serve you on a daily basis are in "forced labour" (again, your definition not mine) are your own and of no interest to me. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of your stance. No doubt you are here for the temples and to volunteer at the local orphanage and dog shelter. Nothing to do with the low cost of living afforded by half the population living in "forced labour", serving you drinks while you pontificate about those nasty Tories not handing out enough benefits to the "downtrodden", and those stupid uneducated Brexiteers that you detest so much.????

As I said your little pipe dream of forced labour in the UK is never going to happen. I imagine that there will be at least half a dozen of you guys most upset about that but its a fact. No-one is going to labour in the fields being paid peanuts just so Brexiteers can continue to enjoy cheap fruit and veg. What was that you were saying about exploiting poor people?

You want people to do the job then pay a decent wage.

Of course that does mean your fruit and veg will cost a bit more but hey you guys must have already factored that in given you knew what you were voting for.

Its all asinine anyway. Those migrant workers are still going to be coming to the UK even after Brexit.

Was your university education free? Would be the height of hypocrisy complaining about others getting free stuff when you have benefited from free stuff yourself. 

Again you seem fixated with my reason for being in Thailand. Even though you claim not to care.

Mind your own business.

Are you in Thailand? If you are then I suggest you get yourself back to dear old Blighty soonest so you can help to make Brexit a success. 

• Like 2