Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

On 7/22/2020 at 7:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That sounds like a great business opportunity. Selling small boats. ???? 

People smugglers have been at it for decades.

Edited by nauseus

19 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Mind you, if they can do it for banks.......

Too big to fail.  Not very palatable but a necessary evil as the fallout from some of the biggies failing is worse than the cure.  

Look at Lufthansa Group as a recent example.  €10BN bailout and the majority of it doesn't have to be repaid.  

On 7/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, Andrew65 said:

There are very many Somali people in the UK....on Dutch passports.

Once Frau Merkel gives the millions that she invited to Germany German/EU passports, they can do the same.

Not now they can't.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:03 AM, welovesundaysatspace said:

Members of the EU: Sovereign, independent nations who can freely decide about their membership anytime. 

Members of the UK: Vassals of England who have to ask the unelected rulers to leave. “You had a referendum, now be quiet!”

Members of the EU: Sit down four days in a row to democratically decide together with every member having a veto. 

Members of the UK: Vassals of England, who see English people deciding their fate. 

???????????? 

And how many of these referendums have there been that were "freely decided"? And how many of those had to be repeated?

Members of the EU argued into the early hours for four days in a row to haggle out a deal that none of them really liked. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, welovesundaysatspace said:

And the EU doesn’t have to pay to rebuild Covid-hit England either. So where’s the difference? Everyone’s paying for themselves. 

No Covid in the EU then? Super, well done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

And where do quotas come from?

Doesnt change a thing to the fact that they were sold by ... your own U.K goverment .....for money ...isnt'it ?????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Yes, the EU won't be entitled to screw her anymore.

But  oh ! what she liked to take some "house belongings " with her ... ????????????"....for free....????

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Doesnt change a thing to the fact that they were sold by ... your own U.K goverment .....for money ...isnt'it ?????

I haven't a clue what you're going on about but if a deal was made then the deal can be unmade.  

Edited by torturedsole

5 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I haven't a clue what you're going on about but if a deal was made then the deal can be unmade.  

Second part of your reply proves you have very damn clue  understanding of the first part...???????????? unmade could be done at a price .... i am sure it would be a high price ????

Edited by david555

On 7/22/2020 at 11:58 AM, stephenterry said:

i guess maths is not your strong point. Figures from the House of Commons Library put the UK's total projected contribution to the EU budget from 1973 to 2020 at £215 billion after adjusting for inflation.

Yeah, 2 year extrapolated savings of £9.15 billion - ((215/43)*2) ignoring inflation but also at an early exit cost that would have depleted the economy by at least a similar amount. Business confidence and investment has dipped, and annualized economic growth has fallen to about 1% from 2%.

Whatever which way you look at it, the UK economy has suffered c.£130 billion to date, when in your surmise it could have been £120.5 billion instead.

So, IMO, the leavers have cost the country a hefty price, not the remainers. Live with the truth and facts.  

If you want to give maths lessons you need to start again. And past numbers (although yours are wrong) are not projections.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, Proboscis said:

I always love it when anything about Brexit up and out come the trolls and the Russian bots.

As everyone knows only too well, the problem with the migrants coming from France illegally has been going on for years, long before Brexit was even voted on. When the Home Secretary went to France, she applauded the French for what they were doing in keeping the smugglers from launching migrants into the sea - but your Home Secretary had a different story to tell when she came back to the UK.

The real story is that EU countries have systems where if you want to live there, you need to register and have an ID - EVEN IF YOU HAVE A PASSPORT FROM ANOTHER EU COUNTRY. The UK has chosen not to. And therefore it is easy for migrants to melt away into the population. Not exactly a French population, is it?

And it is not exactly a French problem that Brexit has not solved all of the problems that many British were told were the fault of the EU.

Be careful about "not playing ball with the French." If they stop policing their side of the channel, the numbers crossing will not be in the hundreds per year but in the tens of thousands.

Time to get real and wake up. Now that Brexit is over, you cannot blame everything on the EU/French/Germans etc. Good luck with your attitude to the Russians, by the way. See how well that has been going. It is so bad that no one has any idea whether the Russians interfered with your elections, whether it was they who were telling you that it was the EU that was the cause of all of your problems. Remember that no EU government used a nerve agent to assasinate British citizens on British soil - but the Russians did!

Why don't you tell us how so many migrants made it as far as Calais?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, 7by7 said:

Nothing at all to do with the EU; another myth Brexiteers have fallen for.

International, not EU, law means that once they are in UK territorial waters they are the UK's responsibility.

At the moment only a small percentage of those in France make it that far; but maybe after Brexit is finalised the French authorities will take your lead and send all those camped out in France to the UK! Why should they do us any favours?

Perhaps then, the EU has broken international law in the first instance?

7 hours ago, englishoak said:

Yea, you know exactly what im on about, unlike you im not in the for sale camp. 

Thanks but my life and many others has already changed for the better simply by showing on this island the will of the people and democracy still matters more than coin, yours is not my problem. 

Brexit has in fact changed the world and reminded people that voting still matters and things can be changed despite the push for globalism communism.

How has you life changed for the better because of Brexit ?

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, Rookiescot said:

Its all going wrong isn't it guys.

We were on top of the world. Brexit had won. We were taking back control. 

We played Big Ben on a cassette recorder in Parliament square because the real Big Ben was broken or something on our independence day. Now to sit back as the EU capitulated to all our demands because they need us more than we need them. Easiest trade deal in history.

Lets get brexit done. Johnson is the man to do it. Hes just like Churchill. 

Wait. What? The EU is sticking to its policy which has been consistent from the very beginning?

Don't worry the EU is going to collapse any day now. Then we will stride across the world like a colossus. Other nations will beg us for trade deals. Empire 2.0. Hold on. Why is that not happening? Don't they know we are British? Dunkirk man. The greatest victory in the history of the world. OK we had to sacrifice the 51st Highland division to succeed in our tactical withdrawal but it was the plucky Brits what won it.

Why were we not warned about any of this?

Its OK men. Stand firm. When its all looking bad and the future of the UK is bleak remember this.

Immigration. Yes. When the faithful start to question if Brexit is a good idea after all given how its going just remind them of all those Johnny foreigners waiting like Hyenas to come into the UK.

We dont need them. We can pick our own fruit and veg. Well when I say we I mean someone else can. I aint doing it for that rubbish money.

Ignore the damage being done to the country and remember. We are the patriots.

p.s. Putin sends hugs.

I wish I had a job - I bet you do too.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, JonnyF said:

I'm sure they'll ask for many things in their opening position.

However, both countries governments are realists and pragmatists. Both are capable of reasonable negotiation. Neither seeks to punish us purely out of spite and revenge for perceived rejection. Neither will try to use trade talks to subjugate us under their rule of law under the guise of a level playing field. All of this completely unlike the EU.

Personally I would hope China sorted out their disgraceful human rights record before we sign a trade deal with them. I know this is a foreign concept to many Remainers who only care about % of GDP but some things are more important that dollar signs. Huawei can do one as well.

I think you'll find the EU has a far, far superior record on human rights than China. If we shouldn't sign a trade deal until they improve their human rights, I fear we're in for a very long wait, if ever.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If you want to give maths lessons you need to start again. And past numbers (although yours are wrong) are not projections.

Past numbers happen to be the actuality of how much the UK paid into the EU over the last 43 years, and the HofC numbers are also actual current costs as stated, Please live in a reality world and accept that Brexit is going to cost billions more than the UK ever paid into the EU.

And it's going to take decades of tax-paying by the man in the street to rectify the economic deficit. Something to look forward to by my family living in the UK. IMO, Johnson ought to be sacked and the Tory party dissolved before it gets any worse.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Past numbers happen to be the actuality of how much the UK paid into the EU over the last 43 years, and the HofC numbers are also actual current costs as stated, Please live in a reality world and accept that Brexit is going to cost billions more than the UK ever paid into the EU.

And it's going to take decades of tax-paying by the man in the street to rectify the economic deficit. Something to look forward to by my family living in the UK. IMO, Johnson ought to be sacked and the Tory party dissolved before it gets any worse.

Numbers from other sources suggest that the true figure is actually at least double and something like half a trillion pounds. But if you want to send the link I'll have a look. You don't show any reference to this 'economic deficit' or how this is worked out or forecasted either. Johnson is certainly not responsible for current deficits. 

Edited by nauseus
true figure

1 hour ago, bannork said:

I think you'll find the EU has a far, far superior record on human rights than China.

Of course the EU has a better human rights record than China. Where did I suggest otherwise?