PM urged to ease visa restrictions for foreign teachers and students

webfact

If you are opening the door for students of international schools then you are usually including their families as well. Most foreign children in these schools are from China and there are a lot of them. I just can't see it happening. It is certainly going to be an interesting start for these schools.  

Edited by thenewgoo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, thenewgoo said:

If you are opening the door for students of international schools then you are usually including their families as well. Most foreign children in these schools are from China and there are a lot of them. I just can't see it happening. It is certainly going to be an interesting start for these schools.  

Why not if they just stay in quarantine

I can't imagine many 'Foreign' teachers outside the LOS awaiting entry would be prepared to foot the heavy cost of getting in to take up their posts at present.

Never mind the completely crazy and convoluted requirements for obtaining a visa then your cert of entry.

Flight possibly 2.5K GBP last time I looked only business class was being offered on a repat flight out of UK for non Thai.

ASQ 50 - 100k Baht

By the time you have added costs of tests, insurance, fit to fly certs etc you could be looking at the guts of 5K GBP before you have even taken up your post.

Thats gotta me a no then!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SVC Porter said:

I can't imagine many 'Foreign' teachers outside the LOS awaiting entry would be prepared to foot the heavy cost of getting in to take up their posts at present.

Never mind the completely crazy and convoluted requirements for obtaining a visa then your cert of entry.

Flight possibly 2.5K GBP last time I looked only business class was being offered on a repat flight out of UK for non Thai.

ASQ 50 - 100k Baht

By the time you have added costs of tests, insurance, fit to fly certs etc you could be looking at the guts of 5K GBP before you have even taken up your post.

Thats gotta me a no then!

Where do you check prices for repatriation flights for non thais?

How about the education minister covering the cost of getting a international teacher back to Thailand? I tink to mut and while you are at it how about letting a farang buy 1 rai of land in his own name, worth a try

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Does he even know that they are still repatriating Thais, with so few repatriation flights and quarantine hotel rooms available? And he wants to open to new categories?
What about make available more quarantine hotel rooms and repatriation flights so the categories already designated can finally get back HOME?
Dumbest guy ever.

Don't be silly. That's outside his bubble.

Just taking a guess?  if they can ease up for teacher and student then I think they should consider opening up the door for those on Retirement and Marriage Visa and extension holders.

Judging by the past two years discussion I think there are more of us than teacher and students and of course we can have a debate at some point as to who makes more of a contribution to this country not knocking or trying to <deleted> on anyone parade. I saw a while back an article that there is estimated over 5000 Americans living in Thailand who support the economy not to mention the number of Thai families.

As noted there are many Expats stuck outside Thailand haven't seen their kids and wives for months, I myself like many although we live here still have family and responsibility back home and would like to leave for a short period but because we can't return freely or quickly back to our Thai family with all these crazy restrictions that are nearly impossible to obtain to return.

I might not be the right color but my support and contribution to the nation of Thailand for over 15 years my second home in the second half of my life should at least be consider a " ESSENTIAL "  I know it certainly is to my Thai wife, son, daughter in-law and granddaugther, the thousands of baht each month I spend at Big C, Lotus, Makro, 7/11 and that doesn't include all the hospitals bills and Thai local establishment I support including the millions of baht I keep in the Thai banks or the money I have spent sending my son through school here and future spending I will do for my granddaughter.

HAVE I GOT YOU ATTENTION MR. CHAN O ( AKA MR. P.M. ) NEED YOUR ATTENTION IN THIS MATTER!

Edited by thailand49

On 4/26/2020 at 4:19 PM, Moonlover said:

It's likely that the first thing that the teachers will comment on is the topic title!

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

wow, finally, some common sense or is it just because out of necessity

how come thai uni's cannot provide descent english speaking teachers ?

And what about parents of Thai nationals who will support their retired asses in future?! Ooooh, get out, we don't want you here.

Teachers... Alright, what salary is offered EVEN TO NATIVE SPEAKERS - 15k-30k THB. That's nonsense. If that native speaker goes to China it can easily make 20k-30k+ RMB (90000 THB - 150000 THB+) per month. Visa covered, flight covered, accommodation at the beginning is covered. If you have a TEFL certificate, or any other certificate, or relevant experience you can get even more. Compare it with Thailand.

Even NON-NATIVE ESL teachers get, at least, 8k-16k RMB (36k-72k THB). And here we're talking about simple kindergartens, language schools, some Tier-3 cities schools.

No point working here on such conditions...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

It comes as the coronavirus pandemic has left many schools without foreign teachers due to the burden of paperwork. 

They've made their bed over the years.  Let them sleep in it.  Anyone who'd come here to work for the peanuts they offer as well as putting up with the bureaucracy needs their head examined.  Go teach somewhere where you can make decent money for your time and effort.
Now that there are no NES back-packers around they're beginning to panic. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1