BangSaen42 Marathon will not allow any expat entry to the 2020 marathon.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, petermik said:

Racist's ????

Does it have to be racist?

I guess if they allow non-Thai people then they have to make sure everything is also in English. Signs, descriptions, maybe support people who speak English, etc.

Imagine a foreigner would have a heart attack and nobody is around who understands him properly. Then everybody would blame the people who organize the event.

I am not sure if what I write is the issue. But I think let's be realistic here. If possible 1% of the runners would be foreigners are the organizers willing to spend extra time and money for that?

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess if they allow non-Thai people then they have to make sure everything is also in English. Signs, descriptions, maybe support people who speak English, etc.

Imagine a foreigner would have a heart attack and nobody is around who understands him properly. Then everybody would blame the people who organize the event.

I am not sure if what I write is the issue. But I think let's be realistic here. If possible 1% of the runners would be foreigners are the organizers willing to spend extra time and money for that?

Oh please. 

It's ignorance.

Expats here now have been here without leaving for a long time without being abroad. 

Often years and decades. 

Often longer than many Thais.

It would be appropriate to ask all about when they last entered Thailand including Thais.

But that would require thinking. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:
10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Oh please. 

It's ignorance.

Expats here now have been here without leaving for a long time without being abroad. 

Often years and decades. 

It would be appropriate to ask all about when they last entered Thailand including Thais.

Did you read my comment? Because you quote me but your reply is not related to it.

Yes, many foreigners live here for a long time and many of them speak only little Thai and are unable to read any Thai.

This means the organizer must have English as a second language otherwise these foreigners will also complain that nothing is in English.

Is it really so difficult to understand that making an event dual-language is extra work and cost. For what? 1%?

If all foreigners who live here would learn Thai then that problem wouldn't exist.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, many foreigners live here for a long time and many of them speak only little Thai and are unable to read any Thai.

This means the organizer must have English as a second language otherwise these foreigners will also complain that nothing is in English.

More Chinese here than White folk ........ why demand English as the second language?

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I believe that all of the registration sites for these races have an 'English' version, I was always able to use them. 1% ? Maybe for the bigger races but I doubt it. Apart from 'Start' and 'Finish' I don't need any signs in English, and if there is anyone there that doesn't understand or gather,  "5, or 10 or 21 K runners assemble now please" said in Thai, then I'm afraid I don't have much time for them. 

Heart attacks etc during endurance races are quite rare and tend to be self inflicted (too much water, not enough salt, over estimating their capabilities, etc). Medical staff will talk to the patient to see if he is still conscious, his ID is quickly established using his Bib number.

I never felt that my limited Thai was a disadvantage when racing.

46 minutes ago, johng said:

English is still the "international" language...why don't Thai's learn it its taught at every school in Thailand...which other countries teach Thai language to school kids ?

Yes, it's the international language, used between nations - inter-national.

Within Thailand Thai people speak Thai and that works perfectly fine for them.

In international tourist areas with tourists many Thais (more or less) speak English. But that is only needed in tourist areas and with tourists.

I am somehow upset that lots of people who live here demand that Thais should learn the language of the foreigners who choose to live here. If anybody wants to live here then they should learn Thai - it's obvious.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you read my comment? Because you quote me but your reply is not related to it.

Is it really so difficult to understand that making an event dual-language is extra work and cost. For what? 1%?

If all foreigners who live here would learn Thai then that problem wouldn't exist.

You're making up excuses for this clearly irrational xenophobic policy that they aren't even making! That is totally absurd. I can't take such fantasies seriously. The policy is clearly and totally about the pandemic.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please. 

It's ignorance.

Often years and decades. 

Ignorance and preconceived opinions about Foreigners ... Yes basically that's the definition of racism!

ANYWAY. I doubt that any Farang competing in a race here would be unable to understand what's going on ("same procedure as last year...") or, if specifically arriving from abroad for a specific race, would do so without being accompanied by some kind of tyranslator.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, BritManToo said:

More Chinese here than White folk ........ why demand English as the second language?

How many of them run Marathons?

Last one I attended in Songkhla (I watched...) Kenyans swept most of the awards.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

My wife competes in marathons all the time ,i even accompany her on many when she signs in or registers ,there are always a few falangs running ,believe me nobody complains if there are no signs or anything in English and many ,in fact very many people there speak English as does my wife who lived in the UK for many years. Also i reckon 99% of the foreign runners are residents here,