BANGKOK
webfact

Koh Samui: Island spends 265 million baht on upgrading CCTV/ street lighting "to inspire confidence of tourists"

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Koh Samui: Island spends 265 million baht on upgrading CCTV/ street lighting "to inspire confidence of tourists"

I see there's no mention of the budget for "planned maintenance" to ensure the system is kept running.

(Google translate just returns a 404 error when I try it)

Suppose we'll just have to wait for the reports of how they couldn't monitor a particular event due to the camera concerned 'not working'.

Then there will be a meeting to upgrade the system to an even better all-singing-all-dancing one - again without any maintenance.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

yep, nothing says "we've got a crime problem.." more than CCTV everywhere :coffee1:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

How about doing something about the Taxi Mafia if they want to improve 'Tourist Confidence' !

GRAB is already fixing that.

cctv at 3 million a pop, that could be bought online for 50k, would not surprise me

Will repair/fixing long out of order traffic lights come next?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Mayor Ramnet Jaikwang led the meeting saying that Samui had had an explosion in tourism and it was important for the infrastructure to catch up and for tourists to have confidence. 

key word here is HAD. thailand had an explosion of tourism but that is now dead. mayor rama lama ding dong seems to be koo koo for coco puffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

cctv at 3 million a pop, that could be bought online for 50k, would not surprise me

Where on Earth are you getting "3 million a pop" from?