Koh Samui: Island spends 265 million baht on upgrading CCTV/ street lighting "to inspire confidence of tourists"

webfact

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Koh Samui: Island spends 265 million baht on upgrading CCTV/ street lighting "to inspire confidence of tourists"

I see there's no mention of the budget for "planned maintenance" to ensure the system is kept running.

(Google translate just returns a 404 error when I try it)

Suppose we'll just have to wait for the reports of how they couldn't monitor a particular event due to the camera concerned 'not working'.

Then there will be a meeting to upgrade the system to an even better all-singing-all-dancing one - again without any maintenance.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Mayor Ramnet Jaikwang led the meeting saying that Samui had had an explosion in tourism and it was important for the infrastructure to catch up and for tourists to have confidence. 

key word here is HAD. thailand had an explosion of tourism but that is now dead. mayor rama lama ding dong seems to be koo koo for coco puffs. 

• Like 1

Sad for the Island ... people losing their businesses because the Island is dead empty and will be for another 6 month.

Roads are a nightmare right now, people have nothing to eat, a huge garbage problem but Government spends money

on Surveillance !!! Says it all really.

All the new street lights are actually 5G devices !!!

This time they might even turn them on ... not like the old ones who only ran when some (so called) VIP came along.

PS:

Just in case somebody comes up to say the Island is busy: It is not ! Not even in my wildest dreams. EVERYWHERE I look.

Edited by brain150
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Did they ever fix the garbage problem and the eternally broken incerator ? Some blink bling villas and hotels don't feed the crowd. Lamai and Chaweng actually are cemetary like.

• Like 1

I don't recall tourists or expats complaining about lack of safety due to too little street light, and not enough CCTV security cameras; Samui is not that bad, after all, and quite a number of private CCTV cameras have shown useful in some cases, for example traffic accidents.

I could imagine that about 250 million baht would be well spend on for example garbage infrastructure improvements, like getting the incinerators working, and avoid further news articles about that problem; and at same time sort out some collecting points with proper garbage containers, instead of folk just dumping garbage bags at the side of the road. The latter I've heard tourist complaining about, so it could be an important improvement. And the majority of tourists probably don't complain, but still don't think it's the expected amazing part of Thailand...????

By the way, what happened to all the new fancy street lamp post with underground wiring put up a few years ago on parts of the the Ring Road, and taken down less that two years after due to new sewers being installed..?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Samui is quite busy where I am. The numbers for the villas that we manage :-

July 2018   64 check ins and 61 check outs

July 2019   89 check ins and 89 check outs (the year of the Chinese invasion on Samui)

July 2020   60 check ins and 67 check outs

I am still receiving bookings for July as I type this.

With zero overseas tourists this year, we are more busy this month than in the same month in 2018.

Quite a lot of the high end hotels are fully booked at the moment.

Samui is a long way from dead. Yes, people are struggling in most businesses, but there are quite a few tourists on the island. The secret is to make them want to come back.

That's good you are getting business but are this month's figures anything to do with all the national holidays there is

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

Sad for the Island ... people losing their businesses because the Island is dead empty and will be for another 6 month.

Roads are a nightmare right now, people have nothing to eat, a huge garbage problem but Government spends money

on Surveillance !!! Says it all really.

All the new street lights are actually 5G devices !!!

This time they might even turn them on ... not like the old ones who only ran when some (so called) VIP came along.

PS:

Just in case somebody comes up to say the Island is busy: It is not ! Not even in my wildest dreams. EVERYWHERE I look.

There is already a poster saying its busy and honky dory.

instead of this cost how about police just do their jobs.

4 hours ago, brain150 said:

PS:

I have not said that the whole island is busy but it is very busy where I am. Samui is quite a large island.

So where are you looking?