Koh Samui: Island spends 265 million baht on upgrading CCTV/ street lighting "to inspire confidence of tourists"

webfact

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Samui is quite busy where I am. The numbers for the villas that we manage :-

July 2018   64 check ins and 61 check outs

July 2019   89 check ins and 89 check outs (the year of the Chinese invasion on Samui)

July 2020   60 check ins and 67 check outs

I am still receiving bookings for July as I type this.

With zero overseas tourists this year, we are more busy this month than in the same month in 2018.

Quite a lot of the high end hotels are fully booked at the moment.

Samui is a long way from dead. Yes, people are struggling in most businesses, but there are quite a few tourists on the island. The secret is to make them want to come back.

So these are all Thai tourists and maybe a few foreigners who were lucky/unlucky enough to get stuck?

13 hours ago, charmonman said:

So these are all Thai tourists and maybe a few foreigners who were lucky/unlucky enough to get stuck?

Not quite.

• Thai tourists.
  • Teachers (school holidays)
  • Expat workers (school holidays)
  • Retirees find that now Samui is more affordable - it is very nice here. Quiet as well, compared to previous years with a large influx of Chinese tourists.
  • People who managed to exit nearby countries with high infection rates. Arrived before the Thai borders closed.
  • Oh and yes. A few tourists who chose to stay rather than head for their home country where Covid19 is rampant and they may have to go into lock down.
  • There are a small number of tourists who are really stuck here.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have not said that the whole island is busy but it is very busy where I am. Samui is quite a large island.

So where are you looking?

Everywhere ! Including Phangan and Koh Tao.

Chaweng Beach road is in complete lock down and so is Lamai.

Bangrak Chongmon Bophut and Maenam is deserted.

Nathon .... dead but that is normal anyway.

I know people all over the Island and not one of them is telling me it is not dead.

IMO it is perfectly normal for the situation that Samui is dead and will stay empty for at least to the end of the year.

Samui is last to recover because it depends to nearly 100% on tourism and especially foreign tourism.

Thais usually don't like Samui and that's a well known fact for ages so domestic travel is minimal ! [nothing new at all]

I am happy to hear when people's business is doing well, just right now I can't see any.

Samui is in dire straits and it's getting much worse over the next 6 month !

We have not seen anything yet in terms of economic downfall here on the island !!! ... it will be bad, very bad !

12 hours ago, brain150 said:

I know people all over the Island and not one of them is telling me it is not dead.

I think that we are on different islands!!! Below is a comment that I posted on another thread.

Bangrak is pretty normal. I ride through that village most days. It is not somewhere to go shopping. The only time that Bangrak is busy with tourists is when they are going to the FMP. That is now dead.

The wet market and the night markets are still well attended. Mayhem sometimes. Zero social distancing.

Yes - Chaweng is dead. Lamai - probably. Both rely heavily on foreign tourists.

Walking street at Bophut started two weeks ago. First one was quiet. Last Friday was quite busy. Not as crowded as before but definitely busy. From where I live, I can see that Bophut restaurants are all lit up at night - just as before March. Last month, there were very few lights to be seen. Coco Tams is busy almost every night. (So my guests and friends keep telling me - personally, I do not like the place.) Bophut is another village that is usually quiet during the daytime.

"Went to Bangrak last night.

M & M bar had 15 - 20 people in there drinking whilst I was there. (18.30 - 19.30)

Whilst I was having a beer (or three) four or five groups of Thais were walking by, probably looking for somewhere to eat.

Moved on to Antica Locanda for food. The restaurant was full with a few tables filling again as they were emptying.

So, some villages on Samui are pretty normal and defintely open.

I am sure that things will be more quiet in September but happy if I am proved to be wrong."

4 hours ago, khunkarl said:

Street lights are quite helpful though..

Here are already street lights, other things might be more important than double the number of existing street lights...????

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:26 PM, brain150 said:

IMO it is perfectly normal for the situation that Samui is dead and will stay empty for at least to the end of the year.

Samui is last to recover because it depends to nearly 100% on tourism and especially foreign tourism.

Thais usually don't like Samui and that's a well known fact for ages so domestic travel is minimal ! [nothing new at all]

I am happy to hear when people's business is doing well, just right now I can't see any.

Samui is in dire straits and it's getting much worse over the next 6 month !

We have not seen anything yet in terms of economic downfall here on the island !!! ... it will be bad, very bad !

Maenam and Bophut are not deserted. 

On 7/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Samui is quite busy where I am. The numbers for the villas that we manage :-

July 2018   64 check ins and 61 check outs

July 2019   89 check ins and 89 check outs (the year of the Chinese invasion on Samui)

July 2020   60 check ins and 67 check outs

I am still receiving bookings for July as I type this.

With zero overseas tourists this year, we are more busy this month than in the same month in 2018.

Quite a lot of the high end hotels are fully booked at the moment.

Samui is a long way from dead. Yes, people are struggling in most businesses, but there are quite a few tourists on the island. The secret is to make them want to come back.

July 2020 60 check ins and 67 check outs??? Those extra 7 the ones you did not declare to the tax department or a "friend" who poped in to see there client?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

July 2020 60 check ins and 67 check outs??? Those extra 7 the ones you did not declare to the tax department or a "friend" who poped in to see there client?

'a "friend" who poped in to see there client'

His name wasn't Francis was it?