BANGKOK
Keyser Soze666

Thai or English programme for a 12 year old?

Posted (edited)

Just looking for any thought/advice on the situation with my 12 year old daughter.

She is starting 1st year primary next year (private school) and not sure what is best, Thai or English programme now she is getting older. In all her primary years it has been English programme, although the school she has been at only have an English programme anyway.

The dilemna is her English and Thai is very good both verbally and written, although she seems to understand written English more than written Thai. The reality is unless she makes her own way in later life I won't be taking her to live in the UK, so seeing as her forseeable future is here would it therefore be better that she improves her Thai language skills rather than English? I also believe in the Thai language programme around 25% is in English, so there will be some English classes for her too.

The other thing too is the school we have in mind for her the Thai programme is a lot cheaper than the English one. I realise that you should never pinch and scrape when it comes to your child's education, but in the current climate it would be useful to save the money, but it will not be a deal breaker, I will pay for English if that really is the way to go. And yes, I will ask my daughter too but looking for some 'adult' advice first.

Appreciate any thoughts.

KS666  

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Like 1

If she prefers to study in Thai in university, then the Thai program will give her better preparation for university entrance exams. If she prefers to study in an International program, then and EP would give better preparation for that. Of course, I know students from Thai schools that go on to Interntional programs, and EP students that go on to study in Thai university programs. If money is an issue, then the Thai programs are a better option. Students from either programs can go on to study overseas later also. Many of my EP graduates have done that. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

If she prefers to study in Thai in university, then the Thai program will give her better preparation for university entrance exams. If she prefers to study in an International program, then and EP would give better preparation for that. Of course, I know students from Thai schools that go on to Interntional programs, and EP students that go on to study in Thai university programs. If money is an issue, then the Thai programs are a better option. Students from either programs can go on to study overseas later also. Many of my EP graduates have done that. 

Appreciate the response, Davis.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 2:49 AM, Keyser Soze666 said:

The dilemna is her English and Thai is very good both verbally and written, although she seems to understand written English more than written Thai. The reality is unless she makes her own way in later life I won't be taking her to live in the UK, so seeing as her forseeable future is here would it therefore be better that she improves her Thai language skills rather than English? I also believe in the Thai language programme around 25% is in English, so there will be some English classes for her too.

The other thing too is the school we have in mind for her the Thai programme is a lot cheaper than the English one. I realise that you should never pinch and scrape when it comes to your child's education, but in the current climate it would be useful to save the money, but it will not be a deal breaker, I will pay for English if that really is the way to go. And yes, I will ask my daughter too but looking for some 'adult' advice first.

If as you mentioned she is more likely to live here, Thai skills will be more important.

You might want to consider using the amount saved due to lower costs for ongoing English private lessons to make sure she stays on a reasonable level there too.

• Like 1

A post containing a racial slur has been removed.  

1 hour ago, XGM said:

You might want to consider using the amount saved due to lower costs for ongoing English private lessons to make sure she stays on a reasonable level there too.

I take your point, but to be honest I have money going out on a lot of things, I really won't 'notice' the savings really, if that makes sense. It's more of a mental thing really that school fees are not too high. As I said in my OP the 'savings' will just be a bonus, it's not a deal breaker.

English programme any time. Plenty of English programme Universities in Thailand and it will give her a more complete idea of today's world and a better chance of intellectual development than the rote learning of Thai programmes. Also IT so essential to education and future job prospects is mostly always in English. She may not want to be restricted to Thailand and Thai is not an international language.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

English programme any time. Plenty of English programme Universities in Thailand and it will give her a more complete idea of today's world and a better chance of intellectual development than the rote learning of Thai programmes. Also IT so essential to education and future job prospects is mostly always in English. She may not want to be restricted to Thailand and Thai is not an international language.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only difference between the Thai and english program is the language, right?

They learn the exact same things and get the same amount of homework, only in Thai program most classes (except maybe IT and english language) will be taught in Thai language while in the english program it will all be in English (except for thai language class).

You might be referring to an "International program" which is in english and follows an international curriculum (cambridge, oxford, whatever). There is considerable less homework there, more focus on the thinking process, less testing, much less rote learning, and prices several times that of the english and thai program. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, BritManToo said:

Stick her in Thai government school.

My daughter, age 22, speaks perfect English and Thai, and is in her final year at university.

My son, age 8, is completely comfortable in English or Thai as well.

Hope your kids end top of their classes which will give them huge opportunities in later life within thailand (and to a limited scale in the world), cause otherwise they might be stuck in thailand for the rest of their lives "with possible considerable unforeseen costs". 

(my wife got into special classes from around the age of your son, so if there are no clear opportunities for him yet you can still make adjustments now instead of waiting and hoping for the best)

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Hope your kids end top of their classes which will give them huge opportunities in later life within thailand (and to a limited scale in the world), cause otherwise they might be stuck in thailand for the rest of their lives "with possible considerable unforeseen costs". 

(my wife got into special classes from around the age of your son, so if there are no clear opportunities for him yet you can still make adjustments now instead of waiting and hoping for the best)

I have no idea what you are talking about, which means one of two things.

1. You're lapsing into dementia, or

2. I'm lapsing into dementia.

Can't see my kids living outside Thailand.

At the current state of play, hardly anyone will ever work or travel outside their home country again.

PS.

I see your 'sad', and will raise you two more.

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, BritManToo said:

Stick her in Thai government school.

My daughter, age 22, speaks perfect English and Thai, and is in her final year at university.

My son, age 8, is completely comfortable in English or Thai as well.

We only speak English in the home.

No need to waste money on private school.

As Shes only been your Daughter for the last five years and hes only been your Son for the last five years, where did they learn to speak English ?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

There are more options than "dementia", so let me explain further. I am talking about what a thai program does with the mentality of children: a focus on rote learning instead of thinking on their feet and understanding things, a lot of time spent (wasted) on thai indoctrination (12 values, singing the national anthem, learning history where thailand always wins), and years of being perfectly assimiliated into thai society (where face is everything, truth doesnt matter, etc). 

I'm not sure that's important, most people who 'think for themselves' are unhappy and dissatisfied with their lives.

I'd prefer my kids to be happy and fit in with Thai society.

As that's where they will be living.

If the western education, work ethic and culture are so great why are you here?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1