BANGKOK
Keyser Soze666

Thai or English programme for a 12 year old?

I would send her to a school where she can learn Chinese.

Because in 10 to 20 years, they will mostly control this place and probably most of the world.

Waste of time. Not a shred of decent advice anywhere..

Mods: Please close.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

To be honest even kids at a Thai private school in an EP still have all that embedded into them?

Not really. My students have no problem asking questions, arguing with me and correcting me on various things. Most are quite outspoken. There act differently with their Thai teachers, as can be expected. One of my past students moved to a Thai school in M4. I asked her if she is allowed to ask the teachers questions -"yes, but they don't really like it" was her response. This was supposedly a "good school" as well. The number of actitivies seems to vary with the school. We have a number - wai kru day, Sunthorn Phu day, etc. I've never seem them marching aimlessly though. Sports day, Science day, etc, take up quite a bit of time.; some activities are more productive than others. 

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

My two luk krung boys attended very good Thai schools thanks to her family and their connections.  They went to P1-6 at a Sathit and then M1-3 at a private school.  After that we returned to the US so that they could attend high school and then university there. They are now 34 & 32, graduated in business and economics and have very good careers in their field.  Although they could return to Thailand to work they both prefer to live in the west.  My oldest son also heads up the SEA offices for his company including Bangkok.  He could transfer to Bangkok but would be taking a sizeable pay cut.  I cannot see why anyone would want to limit their children's options by only educating them in Thailand.  With dual citizenship they just have more opportunities.

So if Thai schools are so bad, why did you let them suffer through 9 years in a Thai school? And now they have successful careers? So it wasn't as bad as you say - one of out family friends graduated froma  good Thai highschool, did SAT's and get a scholarship to do eletrical engineering in the US. Did a couple of years at Oxford, then got a full scholarship to study at Princeton for his PhD. Now works at kasikorn bank on filthy money. 

16 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Not really. My students have no problem asking questions, arguing with me and correcting me on various things. Most are quite outspoken. There act differently with their Thai teachers, as can be expected. One of my past students moved to a Thai school in M4. I asked her if she is allowed to ask the teachers questions -"yes, but they don't really like it" was her response. This was supposedly a "good school" as well. The number of actitivies seems to vary with the school. We have a number - wai kru day, Sunthorn Phu day, etc. I've never seem them marching aimlessly though. Sports day, Science day, etc, take up quite a bit of time.; some activities are more productive than others. 

Fair enough, but whether my daughter goes into a TL or EL programme it will be at the same school, so you would like to think they have a  similar culture and ethics across the board. 

Closed per OP request.