BANGKOK
FarangSerbia

Aggressive soi dog bit my dog

I recently moved house to a moo ban and there are 4 dogs that "live" in the mooban, but only one of them is problematic, as 3 others are here only during the night. The problematic one stays in one area all the time and he barks at people and dogs, but he is particularly aggressive when I walk my 2 small-breed dogs around the mooban. He's been barking and charging viciously almost every time I take them for a walk, but I always charge back and he backs off (albeit still following and barking). Today I had one of my dogs on leashes, one on back and one in front, and he just charged again out of nowhere and attacked my small dog that never bit anything in its life (5 years old). My dog was just standing there when he was attacked, unprovoked. 

This cost me 2,700 THB so far and will cost more, as my dog has 2 deep puncture wounds that need cleaning & dressing change for 4-5 days in the vet office. 

The attacking dog is fed by a neighbor on the street, who will naturally deny it's her dog. 

I refuse to be terrorized by this dog every time I go for a walk with my dogs inside the mooban. Is there any service that would take care of aggressive dogs? If not, what are my options here? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Never show you are  afraid of these dogs ! Lived in Ayutthaya for a year and it has loads ! Had a thick piece of 2x4 with nails at the end. Always took it out evening time walking to a 7-11 near me . Caught one on the nose once . The rest of the pack soon learned to stay clear 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 2

Did you two even read what I wrote? I already tried charging it and kicking it, it doesn't work - it backs off, but then starts the same thing then next day. I don't want to have to do that every time I need to pass this dog, it's not a permanent solution. I am not afraid of the dog biting me at all, it's attacking MY DOGS which are 5x smaller than him. 

I also cannot go around smashing it in the head with a weapon and have the whole mooban hate me. It's just unbelievable that there isn't a service available to take care of aggressive dogs? There are MANY Thai's that have problems with soi dogs, they're just not posting on Thaivisa but some place else. 

Guess which dog  "owns" the street!

Thank you for suggestions so far, I tried the food one when we first moved in and it didn't work - he didn't want to eat it and kept barking. But maybe I gave up too fast on that one. I also like the Tessabahn suggestion! 

As for walking somewhere else, the main street doesn't have a sidewalk (like 90% of streets in Chiang Mai) and one of the reasons I moved to this mooban is to be able to walk my dogs inside the mooban. There weren't any dogs outside two times I visited before moving in. 

As far as bamboo stick, I guess that could work if I walk my dogs one by one. But that still means I have to fight that dog every time I go out, but maybe he'll think twice. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, FarangSerbia said:

As far as bamboo stick, I guess that could work if I walk my dogs one by one. But that still means I have to fight that dog every time I go out, but maybe he'll think twice. 

Thai dogs know what a person carrying a stick means.

It's unlikely to approach.

An extendable hiking stick works well.

300bht or less

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kodenor-1pc-walking-sticks-eva-handle-5-section-hiking-poles-folding-trekking-poles-nordic-hiking-sticks-i1143778891-s2660860354.html

Edited by BritManToo