Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The open air bar and restaurant area would have done well if Covid shutdown had not killed it - exactly what is missing and wanted in that part of Suk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walkable sidewalks! Oh! The horror! What's next? Orderly overhead wires? 

It looks boring and depressing.  How sad.    I feel so sorry seeing empty streets with chains selling junk food and all the great street cafes gone.

The redone sidewalks there are one of the best things to ever happen to Suk Soi 11...  Before, they were horrible and miserable. Now they're actually walkable, even by Thailand standards...  

Posted Images

I have been going to soi 11 yearly for about 8 years now.

And it has/had its charm,

The overhanging power lines, the unkept side walks, the farang targeted bars, the stalls , the kombivan bars,

 

And yes daytime is pretty dead , but night time is when the action is.

 

I havent been for about 18 months , however last time I went things were already changing 

 

Some of the foot paths had started being repaired, all the kombivan bars had gone, there were a fewer newer and trendier bars and American style take aways

The huge abandoned hotel on the right (can't remeber its name) had started work on.

 

But what surprised me was that entire cheap Charlie section had been demolised and the hole left (I presume for development) was absolutely enormous, I didn't even know the street went that deep

 

I admit it has a lost a bit of its dirty charm but I also noticed decreased numbers of tourists,

 

So who knows what will.become of soi 11 and its surrounds even if covid had not come

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for the blues at Apotika but that seems gone forever. Hard to find blues (not jazz) in Bangkok. Parking has always been an issue in Soi 11. No change there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I went for the blues at Apotika but that seems gone forever. Hard to find blues (not jazz) in Bangkok. Parking has always been an issue in Soi 11. No change there.

There was a blues bar about a 10 minute walk up from KSR, just over the bridge....can't remember name and not sure if still there, maybe someone knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seancbk said:

 

Yeah Above 11 has always been good.   

Havana Social Club which you can find down a small alley sort of opposite Above 11 is also very cool, there is no signage or front door. Instead, there is just a mock-retro phone booth with a 'Telefono' sign. You'll need to call Havana Social for the entry code. Step inside the phone booth, dial the secret code, and a false door in the back of the phone booth swings open.

 



 

wow, sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time in that area was in Jan 2005.  Stayed at the Ambassador Hotel.  Very noisy with the birds and construction close by.  Loved the International Buffet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baansgr said:

There was a blues bar about a 10 minute walk up from KSR, just over the bridge....can't remember name and not sure if still there, maybe someone knows?

Do you mean Adhere? Back in business from tomorrow ...

1752092435_ScreenShot2020-07-23at21_59_51.jpg.7e48a4db4b344ab67aff20d3de5918e6.jpg

 

Nothing But The Blues down the dank end of Thonglor (Liberty Building) used to be good but not sure if still going?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 1:28 AM, SteveK said:

Was there a few weeks ago and was surprised to see a Taco Bell. Was going to eat there until the cashier wanted an extra 120 baht surcharge for beef on 2 already expensive meals.

You should have just settled for the cat (tastes like chicken).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Do you mean Adhere? Back in business from tomorrow ...

1752092435_ScreenShot2020-07-23at21_59_51.jpg.7e48a4db4b344ab67aff20d3de5918e6.jpg

 

Nothing But The Blues down the dank end of Thonglor (Liberty Building) used to be good but not sure if still going?

 

That's the one....great place, it's been there years...worth the trip from Sukhumvit

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

Last time in that area was in Jan 2005.  Stayed at the Ambassador Hotel.  Very noisy with the birds and construction close by.  Loved the International Buffet.

have stayed there a few times, the hotel that looks like it was designed half by a 4 star hotel designer and half 2 stardesigner

and breakfast was decent for the price, but yes birds everywhere and indian tourists

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

have stayed there a few times, the hotel that looks like it was designed half by a 4 star hotel designer and half 2 stardesigner

and breakfast was decent for the price, but yes birds everywhere and indian tourists

The smell of 1970's nylon carpets.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

You should have just settled for the cat (tastes like chicken).

I remember thinking if it was possible to actually grind real chicken meat into a puree like that................

Link to post
Share on other sites

I live on soi 13. There is plenty of street food available and you conveniently missed all the street food and outdoor bars along about a 100 to 150 meter area right in the middle of it all in what was an empty lot where cheap Charlie’s used to be. I am not complaining though because I happily visit both the farang and street places as they are all enjoyable and provide a nice variety. Also if you come back in the evening there will be plenty of girls on the street and in the bars happy to party with you. There will be more once insanity and the other nightclubs reopen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, seancbk said:

 

Yeah Above 11 has always been good.   

Havana Social Club which you can find down a small alley sort of opposite Above 11 is also very cool, there is no signage or front door. Instead, there is just a mock-retro phone booth with a 'Telefono' sign. You'll need to call Havana Social for the entry code. Step inside the phone booth, dial the secret code, and a false door in the back of the phone booth swings open.

 



 

Is that similar to the telephone bar in Pattaya ??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...